Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 12:28 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Good for you. How much extra in taxes have you voluntarily sent the US Treasury?

You do believe in paying higher taxes, no?
I've said that where?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 12:28 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan921 View Post
I have been very critical of Obama for not getting it done on the economy, but at least his intentions are good. He is inept, but well-minded.

I cannot vote for a Republican because of the GOP deciding their number 1 priority was to make Obama a one-term president. I cannot get past this. It is absolutely inexcusible. The number one priority should have been fixing the economy. No questions asked. If you are elected to a public office, you work with the other people in office and try to do as much good as you can for the American people. There is absolutely no excuse for the Republican Congress handling the situation as they did. It is flat-out shameful.

Can any Republican even try to justify the actions of the GOP in Congress over the past 4 years? No wonder Obama is still leading in the polls, despite the awful economy. Nobody is really voting FOR Obama as much as they are voting AGAINST Romney and the GOP.

So yes, I am angry at Obama. No question about it. But i am even more angry at the Republicans, for not even trying to fix things.
Look. This is freaking incredibly simple.

Obama espoused at every step bigger government in every way he could possibly think of.

The republicans did fight that tooth and nail, no doubt. And now what do you have to do just to keep the entire thing going?

You wouldn't be facing this ridiculous crisis if the government had gone the way of the republicans and the Tea party 4 years ago. You wouldn't have to be making such drastic and "formidable task"if Obama had not gotten his way.

Now with an extra $5 trillion approaching $6 trillion dollar monkey on our backs we're left with nothing but drastic measures of cutting programs, increasing taxes substantially and reducing benefits for those dependent on government assistance and SS.

The answer as to who was right all along should be obvious to everyone but it's apparently still a really hard concept to understand what adding more weight to your backpack while you're trying to get up a hill will do to your ability to get up that hill.

Choose wisely...

Old 09-17-2012, 12:29 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,621,084 times
Regardless of single success or failure stories, the cold hard truth is that our economy is still in the tank. This administration made healthcare reform their top priority as we were at the peak of the financial meltdown because it was what THEY WANTED, rather than what WE NEEDED. How are we supposed to buy health insurance when millions of us can't find work? Spending is out of control and their answer is spend more and tax the wealthy at a higher rate.

I'm not much of a fan of Romney, but I know we cannot continue down the path laid by Obama.

Old 09-17-2012, 12:33 PM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
I agree, for one thing all entitlements should have lifetime caps. I'd favor a 2 year limit on collecting the EITC and/or Food Stamps. Give the kids free meals at school, but not the parents after the limit is hit. Of course, the fully disabled should be exempt from these limits, but no one else.
Agree, but subtract the cost of the kids' free meals at school from any and all benefits/entitlements given to the parents.

Old 09-17-2012, 12:34 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Look. This is freaking incredibly simple.

Obama espoused at every step bigger government in every way he could possibly think of.

The republicans did fight that tooth and nail, no doubt. And now what do you have to do just to keep the entire thing going?

IF Republicans fight bigger government tooth and nail why is it both Romney & Ryan want to throw more unquestioned $$$ at defense?

Do Republicans think there is some magical disconnect between government and that five-sided building on the Potomac?

Old 09-17-2012, 12:34 PM

6,032 posts, read 9,213,226 times
I think we should turn over control to the Democrats and watch how fast they drive the bus off the cliff. We are already borrowing too much money. We are spending 592billion now on medicare programs and it is still growing exponentially. Who wants to be in charge when it all crashes. The political party in charge will not get elected for the next 30 years.

Old 09-17-2012, 12:35 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
Quote:
Trust me, it's very real disappointment. I have written plenty of posts on the board ripping Obama and throwing him under the bus. Any remotely competent and well-intentioned candidate should be able to crush Obama easily, considering the current state of affairs. It's pretty pathetic that the GOP is behind in the polls and is having trouble beating an incumbent with an 8.1% unemployment rate.
It's the candidate on top of the philosphy of the GOP that they can't stop kissing Wall St. and banks behinds. Romney just happens to so look the part of the Wall St. exec that it makes it even worse. Bush and Romney have basically the exact same policies, but Bush was able to have a lot more poor white people buy into his cowboy/redneck bs.

Old 09-17-2012, 12:36 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
IF Republicans fight bigger government tooth and nail why is it both Romney & Ryan want to throw more unquestioned $$$ at defense?

Do Republicans think there is some magical disconnect between government and that five-sided building on the Potomac?
No, that is "good" massive government bureaucracy. Bad government bureaucracy is when you give poor people food stamps.

Old 09-17-2012, 12:36 PM

552 posts, read 738,879 times
Quote:
I have been very critical of Obama for not getting it done on the economy, but at least his intentions are good. He is inept, but well-minded.

I cannot vote for a Republican because of the GOP deciding their number 1 priority was to make Obama a one-term president. I cannot get past this. It is absolutely inexcusible. The number one priority should have been fixing the economy. No questions asked. If you are elected to a public office, you work with the other people in office and try to do as much good as you can for the American people. There is absolutely no excuse for the Republican Congress handling the situation as they did. It is flat-out shameful.

Can any Republican even try to justify the actions of the GOP in Congress over the past 4 years? No wonder Obama is still leading in the polls, despite the awful economy. Nobody is really voting FOR Obama as much as they are voting AGAINST Romney and the GOP.

So yes, I am angry at Obama. No question about it. But i am even more angry at the Republicans, for not even trying to fix things.
Totally agree, everything the president has tried to put forth the last two years has been blocked not to mention the debt ceiling debacle. Even when the president tries to compromise with a two dollar cut in expenditures to a one dollar increase in revenue it is blocked, if the republicans were in power they would not compromise in such a way. You need revenues to pay our bills. Bill Clinton said it best, it's simple arithmetic and most economists agree. I'd like to know how the republicans would compromise, or is it all or nothing?

Old 09-17-2012, 12:37 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,673,869 times
Quote:

I'm sorry the facts aren't clear to you.

Clue: Dems were totally in charge for 2 years and did nothing, zero, nada, 0, pfffffttttt.

FAIL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies