Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 05:23 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,314,559 times

Advertisements

You're forgetting one important thing: It's not easy to qualify for disability. Just because someone applies because---say they're 58 and their job has been downsized out of existence---doesn't mean they'll get approved to go on disability. They have to have a qualifying disability that can be proven by medical records and S.S.D.I. doctors' testing. However there are people with major health issues who are up there in age who'd just been hanging on their jobs by their fingernails because they don't want to lose their benefits by retiring early. If they get laid off and qualify for S.S.D.I. they qualify. If not, they don't get it. Simple as that. It usually take two years to get qualified.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 05:37 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,532,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
You're forgetting one important thing: It's not easy to qualify for disability. Just because someone applies because---say they're 58 and their job has been downsized out of existence---doesn't mean they'll get approved to go on disability. They have to have a qualifying disability that can be proven by medical records and S.S.D.I. doctors' testing. However there are people with major health issues who are up there in age who'd just been hanging on their jobs by their fingernails because they don't want to lose their benefits by retiring early. If they get laid off and qualify for S.S.D.I. they qualify. If not, they don't get it. Simple as that. It usually take two years to get qualified.

According to the SS data I posted previously, in 2011, the percentage of disability claims approved was only 35.60% of the claims filed. In other words, 64.40% of claims were rejected.

Sounds to me like it's really "easy" to get.

Old 09-18-2012, 05:46 PM

5,787 posts, read 4,716,747 times
The information I posted was about how many people are GETTING Disability, not how many applied.

In fact, you're making may case even stronger......

The number of people now GETTING Disability has EXPLODED.

The number of people APPLYING must be ASTRONOMICAL!!!!

Old 09-18-2012, 05:52 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,532,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt800 View Post
The information I posted was about how many people are GETTING Disability, not how many applied.

In fact, you're making may case even stronger......

The number of people now GETTING Disability has EXPLODED.

The number of people APPLYING must be ASTRONOMICAL!!!!

Exploded? Apparently, you missed my post #8.

Either that, or you have a REAL liberal definition of "exploded."

Old 09-18-2012, 06:02 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,916,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
So you are saying that no one deserves disability? How republican of you.
and you are saying that everyone deserves disability?

how democratic of you.

of course, with everybody on disability there won't be any way to fund the government.

that might prove problematic for the disabled.

Old 09-18-2012, 06:06 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,916,363 times
Quote:
REALLY?????

Are you Liberals BLIND?

More people on unemployment, welfare, and now disability.

They are filing for disability because they can't get work and they can figure out a way to scam the system.

For all we know, Obama has lowered the bar for disability too just as he did for welfare "work" requirements.
obama has no answers.

so he will promise people anything to get reelected, including a lot of stuff that cannot and will not be delivered, but it seems to placate those who want to be placated.

america will see the same sort of riots like they are having in greece and now portugal if we stay on this path-and you can count on that.

Old 09-18-2012, 06:17 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
It's shocking to know that Obama travels from house to house disabling our great american workers.
He essentially HAS DONE THIS. By creating an unfavorable climate for business-

Obamacare
high taxes
new regulations
EPA burdens
trial lawyers burdens
No negotiations on NAFTA or China most favored nation trade status
No domestic oil shale development
No offshore drilling
war on coal

Obama has created an environment in which HE DID GO DOOR TO DOOR and put people out of work. Sensing a loss of job, or with limited economic opportunities, disability claims rise. Obama has caused this, just as he has created the 50 million people on food stamps.

Obama is a wealth destroyer, but then again, he has never hidden that fact.

Old 09-18-2012, 06:57 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,045,229 times
Quote:
Nothing would "reflect badly on Obama"
Much of his presidency reflects badly on Obama.

Old 09-19-2012, 03:29 AM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
Obesity has has recently been classifed as a disease, so that may be pushing up the figures as well.

I work in a LTC/Rehab facility and I'm no stranger to these people, requiring extra-wide beds/hoyer lifts, and, shockingly, I've seen them come in as young as 22 years old!

We also get a number of homeless people come in, who, in their ignorance, have finally discovered they're eligible for SS disability or Medicaid, and we're right there to speed up the process!

Old 09-19-2012, 04:34 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,951,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
He essentially HAS DONE THIS. By creating an unfavorable climate for business-

Obamacare
high taxes
new regulations
EPA burdens
trial lawyers burdens
No negotiations on NAFTA or China most favored nation trade status
No domestic oil shale development
No offshore drilling
war on coal

Obama has created an environment in which HE DID GO DOOR TO DOOR and put people out of work. Sensing a loss of job, or with limited economic opportunities, disability claims rise. Obama has caused this, just as he has created the 50 million people on food stamps.

Obama is a wealth destroyer, but then again, he has never hidden that fact.
....of which none of those has anything to do with disability claims, which post #8 shows has increased insignificantly during the Obama Administration (basically discrediting the basis of this thread.)

You use the same laundry list in many posts, all of whom have nothing to do with Obama and are basically false anyway. The EPA was created in 1971 and that 'burden' has reduced air pollution by 98% and water pollution by some similar number. Since 1971 there have been great economic times and recessions, none due to regulations. The same is true for everything else on your list, which has nothing to do with our current economy. The economy didn't falter because we had trial lawyers -- which we have had for centuries. Nor do we have high taxes, which have decreased under Obama, not increased.

Why don't you add to your list of grips income inequality, which has been worsening for over 30 years?

Last edited by MTAtech; 09-19-2012 at 04:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies