Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2012, 02:35 PM

33,559 posts, read 37,160,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
it has a lot to do with the subject

FACT the earth has warmed and cool many time

fact it has NOTHING to due with humans

opinion (I am still allowed to have one, correct??) we(humans) would be much better off with a ewarmer wetter earth..especially for the growing season and the large populations
It is true that the earth has warmed many times in the past through natural forcing...The sun was hotter at times, volcanic activity at other times, but there is no natural explanation for the warming we are experiencing today, so that leaves just one possible cause.

Last edited by sanspeur; 09-25-2012 at 03:16 PM..

Old 09-25-2012, 02:58 PM

4,009 posts, read 5,735,558 times
Exactly. Never has the Earth had this many people on it. Never has the Earth been polluted in the
way we are doing it today. You can't do things without expecting repercussions.

Old 09-25-2012, 03:59 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,424,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
It is true that the earth has warmed many times in the past through natural forcing...The sun was hotter at times, volcanic activity at other times, but there is no natural explanation for the warming we are experiencing today, so that leaves just one possible cause.
You crack me up. The earth is four billion years old. It has warmed and cooled numerous times over its life. And yet for our little micro-spec in time there is no "natural explanation".

You're killing me...

Old 09-25-2012, 04:57 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,958,517 times
Quote:

Actually San, the position that this is abnormal is unfounded as they have not been able to establish a clear differentiation between their assumptions and that of natural variability.

Old 09-25-2012, 05:00 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,062,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
34 second display of the arctic's record breaking ice melt.

The Arctic's Record Breaking Ice Melt - YouTube
Cool!

I want to grow oranges in SJ by March!

Old 09-25-2012, 05:04 PM

Quote:
I believe the study you cite is wrong... There has been lots of talk lately about Antarctica and whether or not the continent's giant ice sheet is melting. One new paper, which states there’s less surface melting recently than in past years, has been cited as "proof" that there’s no global warming. Other evidence that the amount of sea ice around Antarctica seems to be increasing slightly is being used in the same way. But both of these data points are misleading. Gravity data collected from space using NASA's Grace satellite show that Antarctica has been losing more than a hundred cubic kilometers (24 cubic miles) of ice each year since 2002. The latest data reveal that Antarctica is losing ice at an accelerating rate, too. How is it possible for surface melting to decrease, but for the continent to lose mass anyway? The answer boils down to the fact that ice can flow without melting. NASA - Is Antarctica Melting?

The bold is primarily the issue here. That is "belief". You see, there are so many discrepancies, so many issues with methodology, instrumentation, record, etc... that to claim a specific conclusion to the issue is... advantageous to a point of bias, not to that of any position of understanding or discovery.

I posted a while back the problems with the Grace evaluations and how it has issues with its comparison to ICEsat when it was active. Grace showed major deviations from ICEsat and was inconsistent with measurements taken physically. That is what Ferds research was showing. Grace has issues that they have not taken into consideration. The issue is common with NASA as they also have problems with their surface station networks (using the USHCN and heavily "adjusting" while the USCRN which is infinitely more reliable is in direct contrast with it).

Old 09-25-2012, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
You crack me up. The earth is four billion years old. It has warmed and cooled numerous times over its life. And yet for our little micro-spec in time there is no "natural explanation".

You're killing me...
So give me the natural explanation of the warming we are now experiencing....Talk is cheap.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:29 PM

Quote:
So give me the natural explanation of the warming we are now experiencing....Talk is cheap.
Natural explanation? Sure... the warming has not deviated outside of natural variability as we have evaluated through the numerous historical analysis. You fail to understand that one does not need to explain why we have warmed, rather you have to make the case that we have warmed outside of the planets natural variability. Until you can do that, anything you attach to as cause is nothing more than wishful thinking attempting to promote a bias.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Natural explanation? Sure... the warming has not deviated outside of natural variability as we have evaluated through the numerous historical analysis. You fail to understand that one does not need to explain why we have warmed, rather you have to make the case that we have warmed outside of the planets natural variability. Until you can do that, anything you attach to as cause is nothing more than wishful thinking attempting to promote a bias.
That is no explanation at all, you are just avoiding the question...Increased carbon was a cause of warming in the past, but today that natural CO2 release is being supplemented by human activity...

Professor David Beerling, of the University of Sheffield’s Department of Animal and Plant Sciences, said the study proves that carbon dioxide released from plant materials breaking down in the permafrost can affect the climate.

“For the first time, we have linked these past global warming events with a climatically sensitive terrestrial carbon reservoir rather than a marine one. It shows that global warming can be amplified by carbon release from thawing permafrost.” Prof Beerling said the study suggests that current warming could cause a similar release of carbon dioxide in the Arctic, speeding up climate change even further. Past global warming caused by thawing permafrost - Telegraph

The phenomenon has been referred to as the ‘compost bomb’. 'Compost bomb' is latest climate change ‘tipping point’ - Telegraph

Permafrost soils in Canada's Arctic are melting at a rate that will significantly speed up global warming, according to new research from the University of Victoria. http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/st...st-carbon.html

Old 09-25-2012, 10:35 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,208,631 times
I see we're back in kindergarten....

Well MY scientist says blah blah blah

Oh YEAH? well my scientist says goobladooobboo

New Study Thoroughly Debunks Global Warming, Will Media Notice? | NewsBusters.org

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/07/10/global_warming_undermined_by_study_of_climate_chan ge/

A large team of scientists making a comprehensive study of data from tree rings say that in fact global temperatures have been on a falling trend for the past 2,000 years and they have often been noticeably higher than they are today - despite the absence of any significant amounts of human-released carbon dioxide in the atmosphere back then.
"We found that previous estimates of historical temperatures during the Roman era and the Middle Ages were too low," says Professor-Doktor Jan Esper of the Johannes Gutenberg-Universität Mainz, one of the scientists leading the study. "Such findings are also significant with regard to climate policy."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.