Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 09:20 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,471,430 times

Advertisements

I hear the Heartland Institute is an unbiased source for Global Warming, right? Next time try posting a reputable source.

It amazes me that these anti-global warming folks still exits. The Arctic Ice has melting to its lowest levels and we just had another scorching summer where crops are dying and fish are turning up dead in lakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 09:31 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
It might help if you asked an actual climate scientist about this.

Record-High Antarctic Sea Ice Levels Don't Disprove Global Warming | LiveScience

Quote:
"Antarctic sea ice hasn't seen these big reductions we've seen in the Arctic. This is not a surprise to us," said climate scientist Mark Serreze, director of the NSIDC. "Some of the skeptics say 'Well, everything is OK because the big changes in the Arctic are essentially balanced by what's happening in the Antarctic.' This is simply not true."

Projections made from climate models all predict that global warming should impact Arctic sea ice first and most intensely, Serreze said. "We have known for many years that as the Earth started to warm up, the effects would be seen first in the Arctic and not the Antarctic. The physical geography of the two hemispheres is very different. Largely as a result of that, they behave very differently."
Former Global Warming Skeptic Makes a 'Total Turnaround' | Climate Change | LifesLittleMysteries.com

Old 09-19-2012, 10:15 PM

25,848 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
You really don't like to hear that Antarctica is making ice so fast, do you?
This news has been around for more than a year. Of course, leaners avoided reading any of it.
How do you explain all the exploration going on up there due to the ice opening up?

Old 09-19-2012, 11:27 PM

33,543 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
You really don't like to hear that Antarctica is making ice so fast, do you?
This news has been around for more than a year. Of course, leaners avoided reading any of it.
I read it, but unlike you I understand it....I'll bet that you don't want to hear that the Antarctic is losing land ice (that will raise sea levels) faster than it is gaining sea ice (that will not effect sea levels even if it all melted) There is a net loss of ice in the Antarctic...

Ice loss from Antarctica (orange) and Greenland (blue) for the period 2003-2010
In Gigatons ( gigaton is one billion tons )

Last edited by sanspeur; 09-19-2012 at 11:40 PM..

Old 09-20-2012, 04:15 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
One pole shrinks, the other grows, and the point of this thread is?

How the sheeple get conned........
Exactly - it's been winter for a while down there.

Old 09-20-2012, 04:19 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
How do you explain all the exploration going on up there due to the ice opening up?
I assume you refer to the Arctic area - it's summer and the ice is in melting season - but that is starting to wrap up.

The Antarctic, since it's been winter, is in its icing season.

Old 09-20-2012, 06:27 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
I wonder if the earth's rotational speed would change if the poles melted away, similar to a figure skater who spins faster when they contract their limbs to form a narrower pillow. When the ice turns into water, the water will likely be forced towards the equator, i.e. the earth might spin slower, right?

Old 09-20-2012, 08:20 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
It might help if you asked an actual climate scientist about this.

Do you need a scientist to understand the term "record high Antarctic sea ice"? I don't.

It's quite a simple concept. "record high" means the highest on record.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:34 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Common Anomaly View Post
I hear the Heartland Institute is an unbiased source for Global Warming, right? Next time try posting a reputable source.

It amazes me that these anti-global warming folks still exits. The Arctic Ice has melting to its lowest levels and we just had another scorching summer where crops are dying and fish are turning up dead in lakes.

The AGW lemmings like to cherry pick their data. So, yes, some areas had high temps. Others did not and in fact had very cool temps. And yes, some glaciers are melting, others are not.

Here are some examples;

Asian glaciers bucking climate change melting | RTCC - Responding to Climate Change

Alaskan Glaciers Grow for First Time in 250 years | Ice Age Now

Sweden

And finally, many credible sources say there has been NO warming since 1998.

"The other two widely used global temperature data sources are from earth-orbiting satellites UAH (University of Alabama at Huntsville) and RSS (Remote Sensing Systems.) Both show decreasing temperatures over the last decade, with present temperatures barely above the 30 year average."

Is the earth getting warmer, or cooler? ? The Register

Old 09-20-2012, 11:36 AM

33,543 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Nice cherry picking there Roadking, but I ain't buying it...

From your first link....The globally averaged mass balance of glaciers and ice caps is negative... An anomalous gain of mass has been suggested for the Karakoram glaciers, but was not confirmed by recent estimates of mass balance.

I disregard your second link...It is to a denier's site...He talks about record low temperatures in BC this summer...I live in BC and this has been the hottest driest summer I can remember, as a matter of fact it has been in the high 70s all this week...The idiot also claims sea levels are falling...A true denier.

Regarding your last link (out of date, but still indicates warming) and statement...The records show that the earth IS warming...It is time to admit that the earth is indeed warming, the glaciers overall are melting and the Antarctic is losing, not gaining ice to the tune of 12 billion tons since 2003.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies