Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 07:14 PM

629 posts, read 946,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Other then a few news seekers do you really think they are going to come out of the closet????
If by coming out of the closet, you mean start throwing a bunch of attention-getting drama, no.

On the other hand, being able to be honest about their relationships must be a huge weight off their shoulders. Being in the closet can also have the side-effect of making you behave badly toward people you love, and it certainly makes people dishonest. I see a lot of good effect from just stopping the deceit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2012, 08:43 PM

37,972 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Or not.

Today marks the 1 year anniversary of gay men and women being allowed to serve in the US military. According to conservatives, wasn't the end of DADT and the allowance of gay men and women serving openly in the military suppose to collapse the force? Where are the 528,000 resignations predicted by the (formerly Chick-fil-A funded) Family Research Council (BTW, there were only 2, both by military chaplains)? Why haven't recruitment and retention rates dropped like Republican congressmen predicted they would? Where are all the cases of barrack sodomy parties, man-on-man rapes committed by gay soldiers, and increased violent attacks predicted by the city-data AGPC (anti-gay posting club)?

I think these fear mongering, lie spreading bigots owe the gay community an apology.

http://www.palmcenter.org/files/One%20Year%20Out_0.pdf
I realize that in the Air Force most airman have their own private room, so privacy is not an issue, but what about the other services? Does every sailor and Marine have their own room, after boot camp now?

The military I served in had very strict guidelines and regulations that covered heterosexual relationships and behavior, under official codes of conduct to prevent fraternization in the ranks, specifically in regards to public affection in uniform and dating among officers and enlisted personnel. To prevent a breakdown in unit moral, cohesiveness, and unit effectiveness, rules and regulations for barracks life were very strict, and prohibited men and women from engaging in sexual relations within the barracks.

So my query is, if a unit commander has ten new people checking into his unit, two straight men, two straight females, two gay men, two lesbians and two bisexuals. What room assignments do these new people receive, if they are living in two or three person rooms? Or does everyone get their own room now while in garrison?

Back in my day, only senior enlisted NCOs and officers had their own private room and bath, and that was only while they were in garrison, away from the base they may have two-three person rooms, or out in the field they might have twelve person tent, or twenty person Quonset huts, or multi-person birthing compartments aboard ship.

Old 09-22-2012, 01:13 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,789,448 times
Quote:
Or not.

Today marks the 1 year anniversary of gay men and women being allowed to serve in the US military. According to conservatives, wasn't the end of DADT and the allowance of gay men and women serving openly in the military suppose to collapse the force? Where are the 528,000 resignations predicted by the (formerly Chick-fil-A funded) Family Research Council (BTW, there were only 2, both by military chaplains)? Why haven't recruitment and retention rates dropped like Republican congressmen predicted they would? Where are all the cases of barrack sodomy parties, man-on-man rapes committed by gay soldiers, and increased violent attacks predicted by the city-data AGPC (anti-gay posting club)?

I think these fear mongering, lie spreading bigots owe the gay community an apology.

anti-gay rhetoric is always irrational. There has still not been one good reason why same sex marriage should remain illegal.

Old 09-22-2012, 01:17 PM

27,145 posts, read 15,322,979 times
Quote:
Or not.

Could be jobs in the private sector are scarce.

There is security in the Military.

Old 09-22-2012, 01:35 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,937,768 times
My ex boyfriend was Airforce and the having to lie and hide destroyed him and destroyed our relationship. I was, and always will be, proud of his service. I wanted to join the Marines in my younger years, but couldn't bring myself to do the whole hiding thing, especially after experiencing a relationship with a servicemen that was hell because of the policy.

Old 09-22-2012, 02:10 PM

2,160 posts, read 1,955,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
I realize that in the Air Force most airman have their own private room, so privacy is not an issue, but what about the other services? Does every sailor and Marine have their own room, after boot camp now?

The military I served in had very strict guidelines and regulations that covered heterosexual relationships and behavior, under official codes of conduct to prevent fraternization in the ranks, specifically in regards to public affection in uniform and dating among officers and enlisted personnel. To prevent a breakdown in unit moral, cohesiveness, and unit effectiveness, rules and regulations for barracks life were very strict, and prohibited men and women from engaging in sexual relations within the barracks.

So my query is, if a unit commander has ten new people checking into his unit, two straight men, two straight females, two gay men, two lesbians and two bisexuals. What room assignments do these new people receive, if they are living in two or three person rooms? Or does everyone get their own room now while in garrison?

Back in my day, only senior enlisted NCOs and officers had their own private room and bath, and that was only while they were in garrison, away from the base they may have two-three person rooms, or out in the field they might have twelve person tent, or twenty person Quonset huts, or multi-person birthing compartments aboard ship.
No. They room together and act like professionals. They are professionals, after all.

The room together the same way they roomed together before September of last year when DOMA was repealed. Yes, it's true, there were gays in all branches of the military then. And, yes, it's true, in many cases it was widely known that certain people were gay.

It's really not asking a lot to expect the men and women of the military to conduct themselves like the professionals that they are. And no one should be shocked that the vast majority of them do just that. The ones that don't probably won't have long careers in uniform. That's what happens to soldiers and sailors who refuse to behave like professionals.

Old 09-22-2012, 05:40 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
The words that came out of Romney's mouth during the primary election season. Are you disputing that it is true or just trolling?

You're the one making the claim, or are you just trolling?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies