Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 04:02 PM

4,911 posts, read 3,434,556 times

Advertisements

Daily Kos: Headlines about Romney coal ad focus on miners forced to serve as unpaid prop at Romney speech

At a campaign rally that Romney held in Ohio, with a backdrop of miners, the miners were there because they were forced to be there, unpaid. And believe it or not, it seems that forcing workers to attend campaign rallys unpaid "could be" illegal

This should be a criminal violation of both labor laws and election laws and we shouldn't have to ask if it is

(please sign the petition)

Daily Kos Action
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2012, 04:04 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,570,733 times
The miners have a union. I'm sure the union would act on anything "forced" although if they were getting paid while attending no one may balk at all.

Old 09-21-2012, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The miners have a union. I'm sure the union would act on anything "forced" although if they were getting paid while attending no one may balk at all.
I don't care if they have a union. That shouldn't make any difference. Forcing employees to attend campaign events like that should be a criminal violation of both labor and election laws.

Old 09-21-2012, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
I don't care if they have a union. That shouldn't make any difference. Forcing employees to attend campaign events like that should be a criminal violation of both labor and election laws.
Should be a violation or is a violation ?

Old 09-21-2012, 04:19 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,240,736 times
Allegedly it was mandatory. But nowhere does it say that Romney made anything mandatory or had any input on the mine owner's direction setting to his employees. I find it difficult to believe that a Union shop would comply with anything that didnt result in getting paid.

Old 09-21-2012, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Allegedly it was mandatory. But nowhere does it say that Romney made anything mandatory or had any input on the mine owner's direction setting to his employees. I find it difficult to believe that a Union shop would comply with anything that didnt result in getting paid.
I never said Romney had anything to do with it. In fact normally I would just assume the candidate didn't know but after his remark about the 47% I'm not so sure

Old 09-21-2012, 04:37 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,088,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You assume that they are members of the UMW or that the mine is a party to a union contract, which I doubt.

Old 09-21-2012, 04:52 PM

27,175 posts, read 15,352,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
Daily Kos: Headlines about Romney coal ad focus on miners forced to serve as unpaid prop at Romney speech

At a campaign rally that Romney held in Ohio, with a backdrop of miners, the miners were there because they were forced to be there, unpaid. And believe it or not, it seems that forcing workers to attend campaign rallys unpaid "could be" illegal

This should be a criminal violation of both labor laws and election laws and we shouldn't have to ask if it is

(please sign the petition)

Daily Kos Action

Only if they were required by their employer and thenn it is their employers responsibility.
No Romney story here.

Old 09-21-2012, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
You assume that they are members of the UMW or that the mine is a party to a union contract, which I doubt.
You're right, I did assume here. I just read a few more articles on this and none of them mention a union.
This was between mgmt and the employees.

Sounds like they might have a case if they have something in writing. Emotions won't carry much weight in court. "I feel like I might get fired."

Mgmt says that nobody was forced to attend while the workers said they were.

Old 09-21-2012, 05:07 PM

419 posts, read 466,392 times
Even funnier - Rob Moore, CFO of Murray Energy Company, which owns the mine, said, "Our managers communicated to our workforce that the attendance at the Romney event was mandatory, but no one was forced to attend."

Mandatory, but no one forced to attend. I wonder if Rob knows what the word "mandatory" means. Or perhaps he meant that no one was physically bound, gagged and propped up.

The president of our company used to have republicans running for local office at our company all the time to come and speak. We were paid for attending and there was certainly no pressure applied. We were free to attend or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies