Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Could you forgive a pedophile?
Yes 75 24.04%
No 237 75.96%
Voters: 312. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 08:13 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times

Advertisements

It's not up for me to forgive but God. If the pedo is repentant he stands a good chance of being forgiven by God.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
If somebody who had molested a child a couple of times (let's say the details are unimportant but it did not involve lasting physical injuries), after doing his time (and surviving in jail), sincerely repented and swore that he would never do it again, do you think you could personally ever forgive him? And do you think he deserves forgiveness? Assuming you could believe he would never do it. I guess they're slighted related questions.

While I'm as shocked by child abuse as anybody, the way in which they are beyond forgiveness and are hated, more than mass murderers or serial killers, is slightly disturbing. Actually what I'm more concerned about is the witch-hunt/hysterical attitude. Many people guilty of lesser crimes (i.e. consensual sex with say a 14 year old minor, or even something as minor as accidentally exposing yourself to children without intent) are often given the same tag. I don't have children so I can't say what I'd do if it happened to one of my own children, but I'd like to think if they have truly turned away there's a place for forgiveness for everybody.

I understand there are countless people who've been abused or have a love one who has been, and I think it's totally understandable to never be able to forgive. I'm not saying you're a lesser person. Nor, I think, should those who do forgive be made to feel guilty or that they condone or tolerate pedophilia.

I guess what it comes down to is: should they be shot/locked away forever, even if it was just one time, or should they be 'rehabilitated?' I mean like a murderer or rapist you never REALLY know, which is the disturbing part, but then again there are pedophiles lurking around who haven't committed an offence yet. I guess even if it's a 'sexual orientation' it's not one that society can tolerate, so maybe they could be given a chemical that removes their desire or castrated?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2013, 08:16 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Nothing could justify stealing the innocence of a child. There is no way to fix the wiring of someone who would do that. Too bad if their life is ruined, it's what they deserve.

Old 05-04-2013, 08:17 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,820,368 times
It's not about forgiveness....it is about all criminals - whether they are sick in the head or not...It is about containment...control. I don't care about forgiving..that's not the issue...What I care about is making totally sure there is never a re-offence. There should be laws if there is ever a re-offence once a pedophile is identified - that the person is removed from society permanently. This is an incurable condition and mutated sexuality of this form should not be tolerated.

Old 05-04-2013, 08:19 AM

541 posts, read 1,145,249 times
I had to forgive him to get on with my life! Forgive, yes, forget, well I blocked out the memories for 15 years of my life.

He never served time, by the time I remembered statue of limitations had passed. Both of his daughters ended up pregnant at 13.

DH offered to kill him but I'm not taking chances with a jury trial.

He would do it again if the opportunity arose, pedophile's look for opportunity.

Old 05-04-2013, 08:23 AM

1,469 posts, read 1,801,620 times
you should have put maybe on here. I don't know, I could try to forgive someone but a repeat offender needs to be tortured in the public square or shot in the head, if they can't control the urge they don't need to live. forgive maybe but never forget. forgive does not mean you let the person work around a bunch of vulnerable children.

Old 05-04-2013, 08:43 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,388,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Maurio View Post
In the case of pedophiles I do not agree. They should be banned for life from being anywhere near children. They should never ever be trusted around children again. I am not saying they should be "punished" but just kept away from any children. They can work, live their lives and go where they want so long as it is not around children. I will add this too as an ex inmate myself- they are not very popular in prison either.
Just how many places do you think there are in a given town that have no children present? I'm on the fence when it comes to Megan's Law and all that, but this is unreasonable in more than one way.

Old 05-04-2013, 09:41 AM

2,256 posts, read 2,130,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
No, I think it takes a sick mind (whether it be permanently or temporarily sick) to actually be the one to chop another person's head of or to derive pleasure from the thought of them burning in hell. Even if my own child were the victim, and while I admitted I'm not sure what I WOULD do, it would still remain true that to dwell on this sort of intense hostility toward another is a disease of the mind. I can't judge to say I'd do something different, that's true enough, but I do believe it would be unhealthy in any case.
It's a big jump from saying and thinking to doing.

I think a lot of things that I'd never be able to do.

Unless it was my child. I'd chop off a million heads to protect her.

Not unhealthy at all. In fact, it is a biological imperative.

Old 05-04-2013, 09:52 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,444,477 times
How would you feel if this were your baby. Just got thru reading on one of the stories on front page. That a man was executed for raping and molesting ready a 6 month old child.

I cannot understand and begin to understand that scope of this, can any of you.

If this anin't sick, what is. If this were your baby, your grandchild, how would you feel.

And what would you want to happen, does execution fit this crime or no.

Old 05-04-2013, 09:59 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,388,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseX View Post
Unless it was my child. I'd chop off a million heads to protect her.

Not unhealthy at all. In fact, it is a biological imperative.
Right that protection is a biological imperative. Revenge is not. We're not talking about what we would do to PROTECT our child; we're talking about what we would do to someone who has already harmed them. And I do believe that actually chopping off someone's head (or killing them in ANY way, really) for reasons other than true self- or family defense would take - or at very least MAKE - a disturbed mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
How would you feel if this were your baby. Just got thru reading on one of the stories on front page. That a man was executed for raping and molesting ready a 6 month old child... does execution fit this crime or no.
No. Life in prison at best, pending somewhat routine psychological examination. And yeah, if they ever manage to get out of prison, put a sign in their yard.

Old 05-04-2013, 12:53 PM

2,256 posts, read 2,130,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Right that protection is a biological imperative. Revenge is not. We're not talking about what we would do to PROTECT our child; we're talking about what we would do to someone who has already harmed them. And I do believe that actually chopping off someone's head (or killing them in ANY way, really) for reasons other than true self- or family defense would take - or at very least MAKE - a disturbed mind.

No. Life in prison at best, pending somewhat routine psychological examination. And yeah, if they ever manage to get out of prison, put a sign in their yard.
Not only is revenge biological it can be observed in other animals.

There are several videos of chimps carrying out revenge, preemptive attacks and other so called twisted and depraved behavior.

The attitude that we must transcend this behavior and that it isn't "natural" shows a severe naivete and a not so insignificant lack of knowledge in biology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies