Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 05:13 PM

180 posts, read 237,201 times

Advertisements

Phoenix, Arizona Mayor Greg Stanton lived off of a food budget equivalent to the amount food stamp recipients receive, just $29 for one week.

Well...moochele in the white house is constantly harping about obesity..so whats the problem...

Phoenix Mayor experiences food stamp budget for 1 week - Yahoo! News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 05:17 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Tell him to move to Texas ..$50/week here.

Old 09-24-2012, 05:20 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,108,203 times
I would like to know exactly what he bought. I bet I could do better. Plus if you combined that with what you could get a one or two food banks, I bet you would eat OK.

Last edited by Zyngawf; 09-24-2012 at 05:41 PM..

Old 09-24-2012, 05:24 PM
Status: "Let's replace the puppet show with actual leadership." (set 14 hours ago)

52,700 posts, read 47,981,010 times
He's probably just getting a preview of what we hope doesn't happen: A leftist-controlled, Marxist society filled with no jobs and plenty of food stamps.

Old 09-24-2012, 06:10 PM

37,143 posts, read 42,240,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyngawf View Post
I would like to know exactly what he bought. I bet I could do better. Plus if you combined that with what you could get a one or two food banks, I bet you would eat OK.
I know what he bought, it's in the article.

Old 09-24-2012, 07:09 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,733,169 times
For my family of 5 that would be $145 a week. We spend less than that a week on groceries, and I buy nice food. Whole grains, nothing with HFCS, etc. I buy some of our fresh produce through a CSA since it's a great price, heathly, and local. I do my grocery shopping at one of the nicest stores around here b/c they have the best produce and don't add hormones to their milk and meat. If people are living on soda, chips, and Ramen noodles from Walmart, than honestly, it's because they aren't making any effort.

We do eat out a couple of times a week, but if we couldn't afford to do so, we would be fine. We don't need to budget for groceries, but I hate wasting money. Anyone with a lick of sense and some willingness to budget should be able to feed a family of 5 well on $600 per month (or a family of 4 on $480, etc.).

Last edited by brentwoodgirl; 09-24-2012 at 07:19 PM..

Old 09-24-2012, 08:23 PM

37,195 posts, read 19,232,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
For my family of 5 that would be $145 a week. We spend less than that a week on groceries, and I buy nice food. Whole grains, nothing with HFCS, etc. I buy some of our fresh produce through a CSA since it's a great price, heathly, and local. I do my grocery shopping at one of the nicest stores around here b/c they have the best produce and don't add hormones to their milk and meat. If people are living on soda, chips, and Ramen noodles from Walmart, than honestly, it's because they aren't making any effort.

We do eat out a couple of times a week, but if we couldn't afford to do so, we would be fine. We don't need to budget for groceries, but I hate wasting money. Anyone with a lick of sense and some willingness to budget should be able to feed a family of 5 well on $600 per month (or a family of 4 on $480, etc.).
Easily. Ten years ago I fed five of us for @ $90 a week. We did have a freezer to take advantage of specials, but we ate well.

Today we still spend about the same for two of us, but we buy things like seafood that used to be considered once-in-a-while luxury items.

Brown rice, dried beans, onions, celery, bell peppers, tomato sauce, a few spices, and you can eat well and healthy for $29 a week. Or you can splurge on a lobster and starve the rest of the week. It's all about making good choices.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:43 PM

465 posts, read 508,150 times
Part of the problem and I've personally experienced this a lot of people get mad or madder because you made healthier choices with food stamps. Especially if they say they can't but seriously I buy things like pinto beans and other dried beans, brown rice or whole grain rice, onions, garlic powder stuff to spice it up with. I eat on that for 3-4 days, I also eat oatmeal most mornings and it's the big tubs not that individual pack crap that's so expensive. You would think people would prefer I get my health back as I have health issues. We do have a freezer for when we find sales on meats or frozen vegetables. My mom and I went in together a few years ago when I was working and got one. I think it's a good thing to be frugal, I've not been on food stamps and I've been on food stamps but I've honestly always tried to eat healthy and frugally. Of course I think part of it is my parents were elderly and I had a lot of siblings by the time I came along and I watched my parents be frugal. Plus we worked in other people's gardens and stuff for the food or would clean houses or mow yards, etc. for money to help out. My dad died when I was 13 he had been on SSDI a few years but mainly he worked himself into the ground working literally 3 jobs a day. I'm a moderate on this issue and think there should be help for people but also accountability.

Old 09-25-2012, 05:33 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,911,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyngawf View Post
He said frozen chicken and pasta made up most of his purchase. He probably also bought some pasta sauce.

That doesn't leave a whole lot left over so remember that next time you hear some RWNJ claiming people on food stamps are supposedly eating steak and lobster every day.

Old 09-25-2012, 05:41 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,811,485 times
Our current grocery bills are around $50 per week each. Just eliminating salty snacks makes that easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies