Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 02:23 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,170,222 times

Advertisements

Hey. If the girls can play on a boys team, then the boys should be allowed to play on the girls team.

New York high school appeals league decision to bench male player on all-girls volleyball team | Fox News

Quote:
A New York high school is appealing a league’s decision to not allow a senior male student to play on his school’s all-girl volleyball team because he far exceeded strength tests prior to the season, MyFoxNY.com reported.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 02:28 PM

37,138 posts, read 42,234,436 times
I don't have a problem with him playing with his team, practicing and "honing his skills" but I have a problem with him competing with other teams who don't have boys on the team as well. May as well just make everything coed in that particular league if it's going to happen.

Old 09-26-2012, 02:44 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,170,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I don't have a problem with him playing with his team, practicing and "honing his skills" but I have a problem with him competing with other teams who don't have boys on the team as well.
Why?

Most girls do not perform the same as the boys, but the boys teams are in several cases forced to allow girls, which puts them in a DISADVANTAGE against teams that are all boys.

If this boy far exceeds the average, then what would your take be on forcing an all boys volleyball team to allow girls to play, KNOWING that they are not equal in capability and that since they aren't, it reduces the team that has girls ability to compete successfully against an all boys team.

You can't have it both ways, either they are equal, and should have equal access, or they give an advantage to some, and a disadvantage to others, or it should not be allowed at all, for boys OR girls.

If it's good for the Goose, it's good for the Gander.

Old 09-26-2012, 04:05 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,170,612 times
I'm just surprised this hasn't happened sooner. For what it's worth, in my opinion, if all boys' sports have to take girls then all girls' sports should have to take boys. I feel the same about single gender and single race colleges. Either we all have to open our doors or no one has to.

Old 09-26-2012, 04:11 PM

27,657 posts, read 16,147,064 times
Yes what took so long. Since there is no difference in the sexes except for protruberances here and there he should be allowed to play...Right?

Old 09-26-2012, 04:12 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,681,792 times
Maybe we need to have leagues based on strength and weight rather than on sex or sexual identity. There are clearly some girls who are stronger than some boys, and some boys who are weaker than some girls.

Old 09-26-2012, 04:14 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,170,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
There are clearly some girls who are stronger than some boys, and some boys who are weaker than some girls.
I wouldn't say clearly and I doubt that it is very common. Biology is what it is.

Old 09-26-2012, 04:21 PM

27,657 posts, read 16,147,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Maybe we need to have leagues based on strength and weight rather than on sex or sexual identity. There are clearly some girls who are stronger than some boys, and some boys who are weaker than some girls.
They already have varsity and junior varsity. How about everybody get a blue ribbon and a pat on the head?

Old 09-26-2012, 06:10 PM

29,835 posts, read 24,922,073 times
Last time I checked, we had some more pressing issues confronting this country and it's people...

Old 09-26-2012, 06:25 PM

37,138 posts, read 42,234,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Why?

Most girls do not perform the same as the boys, but the boys teams are in several cases forced to allow girls, which puts them in a DISADVANTAGE against teams that are all boys.

If this boy far exceeds the average, then what would your take be on forcing an all boys volleyball team to allow girls to play, KNOWING that they are not equal in capability and that since they aren't, it reduces the team that has girls ability to compete successfully against an all boys team.

You can't have it both ways, either they are equal, and should have equal access, or they give an advantage to some, and a disadvantage to others, or it should not be allowed at all, for boys OR girls.

If it's good for the Goose, it's good for the Gander.
I actually knew what your OP and arguement was all about when I posted but I really didn't want to get baited into a "poor men" argument by you. I don't know of boys teams who have to take girls that put them at a disatvantage. I know of boys teams who took girls who were actually BETTER than some boys and boys teams that took girls when no girls teams were available (although I would argue they shouldn't compete either unless, as I said, they were BETTER than some boys and the league they were playing in was ok with it). Yes, some girls are stronger and faster than some boys but OVERALL that isn't the case so going the opposite way, especially when the boy in question has proven he is stronger and faster, doesn't work. Women have traditionally had to prove themselves worthy of mens positions, jobs, etc. Men have also had to prove to be good at traditional "womens work" (ie: caregiver, teacher, etc). But when it comes to physical competition it should be single sex or coed up front, you can't really mix them. That's just that way I see it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies