Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2012, 01:13 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,419,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
Just another reason to have better alternatives to driving. You can have a car that's actually desirable (like mentioned above) to enjoy, and not ruin by driving it to work everyday. And, you'd save the money required to buy/maintain/insure a daily driver.
Or if you can afford it, have both.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:53 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
I paid $50 dollars for my bike- MSRP new was $200- I added some high performance tires for $30 and a new aerodynamic seat for $15. I could easily sell it for $100- It is an appreciating asset!
No, it sounds like a money pit. But even if you could sell it at a profit, it's still not an appreciating asset.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:54 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Nobody cares what you drive and it has no relevance to this thread but this is the perfect example of the stupidity I am referring to. Cars are depreciating assets- only financially ignorant people would be proud of depreciating assets- everybody on City Data drives a luxury car or is a "multimillionaire".
So what? Have you ever stopped to THINK that MANY like to drive? That they could care less if is a depreciating asset? Think boy. THINK

Old 10-10-2012, 02:12 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolillo_loco View Post
You know what, if I had to explain it, you wouldn't understand. If you can't see the problems with our car based society, the myths of how it sets you free, than you're simply enslaved to the car, urban sprawl, and the wealthy elite. I cannot compete with the powers that duped you into this lifestyle. The people that propagandized you are far more numerous than me, control the media, and they're just flat out rocket scientist brilliant, so I can't compete. I know people love their cars. It's all part of our pop culture. I am under no impression that everybody should feel as I do. It's you that thinks that I should feel as you. I fully understand where you're coming from. I used to be in your very camp. The problem is, you people are so caught up in the micro of how cool your car is, it's a status symbol, and you're all so unaware of just how much that car costs the entire society, that you cannot see the macro that myself and others are talking about. Hence, it's pointless for people like you and people like me to even bother exchanging in these debates because your camp still has its blinders on.

Technology is great providing it does what it's supposed to. Once we become slaves to it, then I'd say that technology is bad because the powers that be are simply lining their coffers and enslaving us to it.

If you see some nut job that needs a tin foil hat because they find the above photo to be accurate, then I'd suggest looking into it a bit further providing you're not too propagandized and still capable of independent thought. There's a lot of truth behind that photo. Of course if you absolutely cannot see it and dismiss people like me as some nutter, then Johann Wolfgang von Goethe's famous quote obviously applies to you.

If people can't see that the end of cars, urban sprawl, and our expansive infrastructure as well as the huge government that runs, regulates and controls it is coming to an end because of over regulation, foreign imports and fuels, as well as the days of cheap energy are over, I would really hate to be around when that bubble bursts. I am not some 30 something or younger person reading this out of a book. I've lived it, and this is what I see for our future. God didn't tell me this, I don't belong to some right or left wing faction, and I don't think that I'm the second coming. I can look back over the past five or six decades and see a distinct pattern forming.

The very same car that many seem to love in this nation, will spell their demise when cheap energy ends, and cheap energy will end. This idea that technology will always prevail is about as nutty as the blind faith people put into religion.

For all you people out there that love their cars, infrastructure, and urban sprawl full of McMansions and think that people like myself hate that form of life, I would personally love to be 18 years old again and perpetually stuck in 1946, urban sprawl, cheap energy, car culture. I grew up during the tail end of that boom time. Therefore, I love that lifestyle. No amount of words can express my mourning for that lifestyle. I loved it and yearn to return to it.

Me too! I would kill to own another 1967 Pontiac Firebird with a 400 cubic inch engine. So far as i am concerned that was just about the top year for American iron cars. It was pure art mixed with raw power for all makes and many models.

I also miss my Austin Healey's in B-100 and 3000 mdls. I never had a Jensen Healey but i always wanted one.
Today there is nothing I want that is even close to affordable, and I am kinda stuck on smaller 4x4 pick ups because they work.

In my area walking is no option nor is pedal bike.... There is 0 public transport of any kind, not even a cab.

A bus station is miles from here, and it goes no place i want to go.

I like being able to take a few steps out the door to shoot when ever I feel like it and I like those same few steps to the garden which feeds 3 from harvest to well past the next harvest.

Since i work here, many days I walk all of 80 feet maybe to get there.

Old 10-10-2012, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Source?
Me. I've been there. Almost everything (groceries, etc) arrives by truck at the Northwestern part of Venice. They then transfer the goods to motor boats for delivery over the rest of the island.

Also, lots of people drive cars to Venice and leave their cars in huge carparks on the Northwestern part of the island.

Old 10-10-2012, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Water? Rail?

It's really difficult to drive an automobile around Venice.
You can't drive a car around Venice, but autos are necessary to get products to Venice. Venice could not exist in it's present form without automobiles.

Old 10-10-2012, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Nobody cares what you drive and it has no relevance to this thread but this is the perfect example of the stupidity I am referring to. Cars are depreciating assets- only financially ignorant people would be proud of depreciating assets- everybody on City Data drives a luxury car or is a "multimillionaire".
Oh yeah if i still own that Firebird which was about 6 maybe 7 grand new in 67, today would be worth around 70,000 crackers...... You don't know Jack......

Not only that but mechanics are people with jobs... What do you do besides ***** and whine weave baskets?

Old 10-10-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
That's a very stupid post. Is everything you own an appreciating asset? Do you have golf clubs or a fishing pole? Or a bicycle? Those are depreciating assets.

Just because an asset is depreciating does not make it an ignorant purchase. Some of us know how to enjoy life and make purchases for reasons other than an investment.

Yes, I'm quite proud of my "depreciating assets" called sports cars. And my golf clubs.
Buy collector guns.. They go up in value on a day to day basis. Several of mine have and I didn't even buy them to be collectors.

I am betting some of your cars are collectors, and increase in value too. I don't know a thing about golf clubs.

So far I have never heard of any pedal bike becoming worth a cent more than the day it was new, but probably there is some antique out there that has increased in value and it sets about collecting dust in a Museum. But most normal pedal bikes die of boredom and rust. I know my 2 clunker pedal bikes are...

My wife owns one of them and she insists I fix it each Spring and then never rides it herself. Mine is a yard sale freebie I took to fix and did and then let it set about collection dust too....

I just don't care about pedal power.

Old 10-10-2012, 02:31 PM

Quote:
I paid $50 dollars for my bike- MSRP new was $200- I added some high performance tires for $30 and a new aerodynamic seat for $15. I could easily sell it for $100- It is an appreciating asset!
This is a joke right?

Old 10-10-2012, 03:44 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,419,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
This is a joke right?
The whole thread is a joke I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies