Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 08:52 PM

2,608 posts, read 2,097,108 times

Advertisements

After finally escaping Ill'annoy after 40 years of oppression it seems their relentless in their efforts to steal my $$$ to pay for their incompetence

Senator Jim DeMint Says ‘No’ To Federal Bailout Of State Pensions | The Lonely Conservative

Illinois Governor Pat Quinn wants the federal government to bailout his state’s public pension system. As insane as that sounds, one certainly can imagine progressive Democrats going along with such a harebrained scheme. Why, what better way to pay off the unions that do so much to help get them elected? Well, if Senator Jim DeMint has any say in the matter it’s not going to happen.
Among those leading the charge is Republican Sen. Jim DeMint. The South Carolina senator has joined the Illinois Policy Institute’s national “No Pension Bailout” campaign — an effort to stop Congress from attempting to rescue failing state and municipal pension plans.
“Our greatest concern is states will assume they can run their pension systems into bankruptcy and then turn to the federal government for bailout,” DeMint said Thursday.
He also suggested the problem is the result of state legislators trying for decades to win over voters through pension promises based “on accounting methods that would put any business in jail.”
The conservative policy group estimates the total amount of under-funded pension liabilities in states is at least $2.5 trillion, with Illinois leading the nation. (Read More)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 09:15 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,881,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlyretired View Post
After finally escaping Ill'annoy after 40 years of oppression it seems their relentless in their efforts to steal my $$$ to pay for their incompetence

Senator Jim DeMint Says ‘No’ To Federal Bailout Of State Pensions | The Lonely Conservative

Illinois Governor Pat Quinn wants the federal government to bailout his state’s public pension system. As insane as that sounds, one certainly can imagine progressive Democrats going along with such a harebrained scheme. Why, what better way to pay off the unions that do so much to help get them elected? Well, if Senator Jim DeMint has any say in the matter it’s not going to happen.
Among those leading the charge is Republican Sen. Jim DeMint. The South Carolina senator has joined the Illinois Policy Institute’s national “No Pension Bailout” campaign — an effort to stop Congress from attempting to rescue failing state and municipal pension plans.
“Our greatest concern is states will assume they can run their pension systems into bankruptcy and then turn to the federal government for bailout,” DeMint said Thursday.
He also suggested the problem is the result of state legislators trying for decades to win over voters through pension promises based “on accounting methods that would put any business in jail.”
The conservative policy group estimates the total amount of under-funded pension liabilities in states is at least $2.5 trillion, with Illinois leading the nation. (Read More)

They already increased our state taxes by 2% last year. Typical liberals... brave enough to raise taxes but not brave enough to cut spending

Old 10-01-2012, 09:21 PM

2,608 posts, read 2,097,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
They already increased our state taxes by 2% last year. Typical liberals... brave enough to raise taxes but not brave enough to cut spending
Nobody from the other 49 states should have to pay for Illinois malfeasance

Old 10-01-2012, 09:36 PM

1,922 posts, read 1,745,481 times
IL already gave us the Obamas, isn't that enough harm from one state?

Old 10-02-2012, 05:37 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
The State made a deal with it's employes and should pay what is owed. Even though any private company could just excape the liability with bankruptcy that statre should not be allowed to do so.

Old 10-02-2012, 06:18 AM

3,807 posts, read 4,275,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The State made a deal with it's employes and should pay what is owed. Even though any private company could just excape the liability with bankruptcy that statre should not be allowed to do so.
This, I believe, is the first time I have ever agreed with you on anything. Having said that, however, I do not believe it is up to the federal government (read me, you, or anyone else) to bail out the state. They caused the problem and should find some way to fix it themselves.

If that means the people of IL have to step up and pay more, that is their issue/problem. Not mine. They can then turn around and vote out the people who caused this problem. If IL is allowed to do this, then my state, CA will not be far behind. Neither will many other states. Where will it end?

Old 10-02-2012, 08:47 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,119,159 times
Quote:

Then let the state pay for it. Not the rest of the country.

And then let the people of Illinois know that their politicians sold them out for votes. THEY voted for this, let THEM suffer the consequences.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:16 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,934,551 times
Quote:
Greg, never agreed with you before but this time I find myself in full agreement!

If Illinois needs to raise their business income tax to 50% then so be it. Personally I would like to see the rate raised to 75% or higher because we in the South love it when businesses relocate to our area!

Go get em, Tiger! Make em pay their "fair share", shake em down, ride em hard and put em away wet! Make Chicago look like Detroit!

http://www.pensiontsunami.com/

Last edited by nicet4; 10-02-2012 at 09:24 AM..

Old 10-02-2012, 09:25 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,003,124 times
Quote:
The state made that deal not the federal government. Let Illinois deal with their own problems. When the people realize they will be paying out the keyster for the corruption that has gone on in that state for the last fifty years maybe they will finally wake up and vote these crooks to the curb. I doubt it though but then let them pay not some guy in Montana.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:26 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,157,110 times
Oh heck no!!!!! This is the state pension system that allowed this to happen.
One-day rehiring nets former Chicago labor leader a $158,000 city pension - Chicago Tribune
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies