Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 05:08 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,007,279 times

Advertisements

Maine mayor: Somalis should leave culture at door - Yahoo! News

I wish that all American mayors would take this attitude since these immigrants refuse to integrate themselves and adapt to American mores and customs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 05:13 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,460,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post

I wish that all American mayors would take this attitude since these immigrants refuse to integrate themselves and adapt to American mores and customs.

No idea why people come here expecting to set up their own little national enclave within US borders.

Assimilate or go home.

Old 10-04-2012, 05:34 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,541,384 times
So what are they trying to do? Create another Somalia with a colder climate? Wish the mayor wasn't trying to back peddle his statement.

Old 10-04-2012, 05:35 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,295,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post

Majority if not all of immigrant families eventually assimilate.

In the 20's and 30's Italian was spoken by many Italians in NYC and Chicago, now you'd have an easier time coming across a bear riding a bicycle than an Italian American who actually speaks fluent Italian, case in point Jersey Shore, who are as Italian as Olive Garden.

Old 10-04-2012, 05:38 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,460,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post

In the 20's and 30's Italian was spoken by many Italians in of NYC and Chicago, now you'd have an easier time coming across a bear riding a bicycle than an Italian American who actually speaks fluent Italian, case in point Jersey Shore, who are as Italian as Olive Garden.
We have over 20 million ILLEGALS in this country, are you telling me that the Univision network, et. al.. will simply disappear when they all assimiliate?

If there were 20 million somalis in this country you better believe we'd have more than a few networks broadcasting news from their homeland and entertainment geared around their culture.

They don't want to assimilate. And this country makes it so easy for them to live here without requiring them to.

Old 10-04-2012, 05:40 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,541,384 times
Quote:

In the 20's and 30's Italian was spoken by many Italians in NYC and Chicago, now you'd have an easier time coming across a bear riding a bicycle than an Italian American who actually speaks fluent Italian, case in point Jersey Shore, who are as Italian as Olive Garden.
I was stationed in Italy for two years and ate at Olive Garden one time since returning back in 1996. Haven't been back there in the past 16 years. Proud to say I never watched the jersey bore.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:19 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
Quote:

You mean they USED to assimilate.

For example there is more Spanish radio, more Spanish television, more Spanish spoken than every before -- the exact opposite of what would be the case if what you stated were true. They are not assimilating.

Immigration should be limited to those who actually want to be Americans, who have the ability and desire to learn English and adapt to American culture. The others really need to stay home and maybe do something for their people and their culture.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:48 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,995,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
I was stationed in Italy for two years and ate at Olive Garden one time since returning back in 1996. Haven't been back there in the past 16 years. Proud to say I never watched the jersey bore.

You're not missing anything. As for Olive Garden my last visit was 98 with my wife (who was my girlfriend at the time) and my roommate. Needless to say that last visit did it for us, as we had to race home, because nature was calling, and wasn't going to wait if you know what I mean. They might as well serve their food with a complimentary roll of toilet paper.

Hats off to that mayor BTW. If you want to live here and do business here, learn to speak the language, and assimilate. If I were to move to another country, I certainly wouldn't expect those citizens to cater to me.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:53 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Who wants pirates living in Maine ? I can see why he said leave your culture at the door.

Old 10-05-2012, 10:19 AM

2,726 posts, read 6,116,959 times
What I'd like to know is how 6,000 Somalis found Lewiston, ME.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies