Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 12:43 PM

396 posts, read 399,843 times

Advertisements

I, like a vast majority of Americans, am fed up with elected Congress members not representing the interests of the people who voted them into office. I'm for direct representation. I don't like the idea of someone casting a vote on my behalf when I can cast the vote myself. Often times, my congress member doesn't vote in a way that reflects my beliefs. Pro's and Con's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 12:47 PM

3 posts, read 6,604 times
The vast majority of Americans are too stupid to know what's good for them. If you let them make their own decisions they'll be dead in a year.

Old 10-08-2007, 12:48 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,375,333 times
I'm in favor of a republican form of government. No question in my mind about it. I'd even prefer to go back to the way the Senate was originally intended to be elected and the separate the electoral college from direct voting as well.

Old 10-08-2007, 12:51 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,273,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grew-up-3rd-culture View Post
I, like a vast majority of Americans, am fed up with elected Congress members not representing the interests of the people who voted them into office. I'm for direct representation. I don't like the idea of someone casting a vote on my behalf when I can cast the vote myself. Often times, my congress member doesn't vote in a way that reflects my beliefs. Pro's and Con's.
You would need to call a Constitutional Convention, and amend or, more likely, do away with the current constitution and put in place an entirely new Constitution.

Are you sure you would want to go down that road?

Old 10-08-2007, 12:57 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,640,475 times
If we let "the people" vote on everything, all we'd get would be a stream of ballot measures on emotional but ultimately unimportant social issues, while complicated and arcane issues such as, for example, accounting standards harmonization in the securities industry would be totally ignored. And when they weren't ignored, the loudest interest group with the most money for TV ads would always win.

Old 10-08-2007, 12:58 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,126,326 times
We each can influence our elected officials, if we write, call, and visit them. It is only when we take "action" and that is "pro-active" action that our elected officials will better understand what folks want in their district(s).

If we don't do this, and we just think we can change the entire system, or just complain, we won't make any significant changes to our ...failing...government process.

Old 10-08-2007, 01:24 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,197,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grew-up-3rd-culture View Post
There is a movement or organization that is promoting the idea of direct democracy, called the National Initiative for Democracy.

The National Initiative includes a constitutional amendment and a federal statute that equips the people with the central power of government, lawmaking. As lawmakers, the people in every government jurisdiction of the United States become a new Check in our system of Checks and Balances designed to control the abuses of government. Representative government remains unaltered except for the partnership established between the people and their elected legislators.

The National Initiative For Democracy (broken link)

However as stated by Ontheroad below, there is that thing called civic duty. I can attest to the fact that the congressperson from your local district will often read what you have to say. I write my Congressman on a regular basis and occasionally get a hand written letter from him, and even two phone calls to my home. So few people actually do take the time to engage with their elected officials that those that do make the greatest impact, even if they are not the majority, but only because they are the only ones engaged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
We each can influence our elected officials, if we write, call, and visit them. It is only when we take "action" and that is "pro-active" action that our elected officials will better understand what folks want in their district(s).

If we don't do this, and we just think we can change the entire system, or just complain, we won't make any significant changes to our ...failing...government process.

Old 10-08-2007, 01:28 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,126,326 times
And I talked them so much blue in the face in NYC, they invited me to Washington, all expenses paid.

Old 10-08-2007, 01:43 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,197,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
And I talked them so much blue in the face in NYC, they invited me to Washington, all expenses paid.
I have no doubts that mine often says... oh gawd, its him again, what is it this time.

I admit that I was rather shocked when I received my first letter back from my congressman, but it only served to encourage me to engage more. While I have never been invited anywhere other than a picnic to hob nob, I do get a lot of stuff in the mail asking me for my opinion, polls, that sort of thing.

Old 10-08-2007, 06:02 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,243,796 times
Our world has become so complex and confusing that the average American people could never figure out how to run our government. And I agree that it would bring a whole new level of corruption and political advertising. I could see the local classifieds now, "willing voter out for contract!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies