Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 05:15 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,937,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
The bad debate by Obama has actually given many Democrats the kick they needed to stop being complacent and get out there and vote...... The debate may have been just what was needed to inspire Democratic voters..... every cloud has a silver lining.
The city I live in and much of the areas I work in are democrat strong holds. I listen a lot more than I talk and what I am hearing is just the opposite.. A lot of democrat voters were discouraged by the debate and have pretty much shut down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2012, 05:19 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
The city I live in and much of the areas I work in are democrat strong holds. I listen a lot more than I talk and what I am hearing is just the opposite.. A lot of democrat voters were discouraged by the debate and have pretty much shut down.
I have to agree. Republicans had new life breathed into them after that debate. Now, if Willard makes another slip between now and then, which is a distinct possibility, things can change.

But as I said before, this is really going to come down to about 10 states, really just about 5 states. If Obama wins any 3 of the 10, he wins the election. But thats a tall order after his depressing debate performance.

The only "silver lining" I can think of for the dems after the debate was that Romney just lied through his teeth. Of course the base doesn't care about that for Romney, which is why they are excited.

Old 10-08-2012, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I have to agree. Republicans had new life breathed into them after that debate. Now, if Willard makes another slip between now and then, which is a distinct possibility, things can change.

But as I said before, this is really going to come down to about 10 states, really just about 5 states. If Obama wins any 3 of the 10, he wins the election. But thats a tall order after his depressing debate performance.

The only "silver lining" I can think of for the dems after the debate was that Romney just lied through his teeth. Of course the base doesn't care about that for Romney, which is why they are excited.
All of what you say is true, but there is another consideration as well.. Solid blue states have rarely but have flipped in past elections. I'm not saying it's going to happen this time, but it has happened in the past, just as red states have flipped on occassion.

Old 10-08-2012, 05:25 PM

7,975 posts, read 7,353,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
The bad debate by Obama has actually given many Democrats the kick they needed to stop being complacent and get out there and vote...... The debate may have been just what was needed to inspire Democratic voters..... every cloud has a silver lining.
Well, it was definitely an incentive for Republican voters. I was at the Republican headquarters this afternoon, and people were coming in droves to pick up signs. Many signed up to volunteer. The director said that since the debate they've been swarming in, really excited about the way Romney bested Obama. I know and work with many registered Democrats, and although they won't consider voting for Romney, they say there's no way they will vote for Obama. Most of them wouldn't vote for him in 2008.

I signed up to volunteer at the polls Election Day afternoon and evening. I also helped out there Election Day 2010 (the "shellacking"), and you could just feel the people's anger. Some of them were pretty vocal, and I don't think their opinion of our president has improved any. This year's election should be exciting.

Old 10-08-2012, 05:27 PM

876 posts, read 709,037 times
Quote:
The question is, is the left excited. I don't think they are, as a matter of fact I think their hopes were somewhat dashed after the debate the other night.

Its still a month out (well, almost), so a lot can change. The GOP's hopes were down, and their "get out the vote" effort was picked up quite a bit after that performance by Mitters.

I still think the election is really to close to call, but Obama still has the best chance at winning. They only have to get out the vote in Ohio, Wisconsin, Iowa, Virginia, or Colorado. Any three of those states, and he's going to win Ohio and Iowa most likely, which brings it down to needing just one more of about 10 swing states, he wins.

We'll see.
I don't think the left is excited either. I think the right is more excited about getting obama gone. I feel like the left mainly just doesn't want to admit that they made a misstake with obama and their pride will take some to the polls. Some blacks will vote for him just because he is black. But, I don't think many are as excited as they were 2008. I haven't heard of anyone who didn't vote for obama last time but will vote for him this time. But, I have heard of a lot of people that voted for him in 2008, but will either vote for Romney this time or not vote at all.

It still will be close in each state, but I'm confident Romney will get NC and VA. He has to get Florida IMO too. Then Romney would only need WI or OH and maybe a little state like New Hampshire. Florida is where both campaigns should focusing.

Old 10-08-2012, 05:45 PM

I think there could possibly be some scenarios that could occur that nobody is seeing... Obama may still win the election, but anyone that tells you Romney doesn't have a real shot is a fool.

Old 10-08-2012, 05:48 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,256,347 times
Young people are energized as far as I can tell. Go to any college campus or young professional neighborhood and you see Obama stickers everywhere.

Old 10-08-2012, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Young people are energized as far as I can tell. Go to any college campus or young professional neighborhood and you see Obama stickers everywhere.
Not nearly to the extent they were 4 years ago.. It just isn't there.. Maybe where you are from but not to the places I travel to.

Old 10-08-2012, 06:09 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Lets say Romney wins, if he gets rid of the mortgage interest deduction, and medicare is turned into a voucher system, he'll be out, in 2016
Because we all know americans are too dumb to make choices.

Must turn everything over to government..

Old 10-08-2012, 06:10 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Faded Obama stickers from 2008 dont count
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies