Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 05:33 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,763,920 times

Advertisements

As I read of the financial crises reverberating around the world, I often think we caused the whole damn thing. That is not strictly true, some places were corrupt (Greece) and others overleveraged (Spain, Ireland, Iceland). However, there is no doubt that the financial sector of the largest economy in the world produced billions of dollars in fraudulent products that caused abject misery world wide. Why do we not have something like the Nuremburg Trails for those scumbags? It would seem like folks around the shorld would absolutely hate us, but I have not read that.

Where is the outrage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2012, 05:37 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,310,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Where is the outrage?
There is little outrage because most Americans are moronic zombies programmed to accept and comply. The banks are ****ing them over left and right but the mindset of the majority is "I love my bank, my bank is good, they are helping me!"

Old 10-08-2012, 05:42 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
As I read of the financial crises reverberating around the world, I often think we caused the whole damn thing. That is not strictly true, some places were corrupt (Greece) and others overleveraged (Spain, Ireland, Iceland). However, there is no doubt that the financial sector of the largest economy in the world produced billions of dollars in fraudulent products that caused abject misery world wide. Why do we not have something like the Nuremburg Trails for those scumbags? It would seem like folks around the shorld would absolutely hate us, but I have not read that.

Where is the outrage?

I'm ashamed that Bill Clinton got rid of Glass-Stegall, Signed Nafta and signed the China Free Trade Act.
I'm ashamed that the Federal Reserve, is allowed to tax us, to boost the financials and Wall Street.

Old 10-08-2012, 05:45 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,916,363 times
i am ashamed of some in the financial sector, and particularly ashamed of those who said that they were "doing god's work".

i am MORE ashamed of our government for accepting payola and not prosecuting the crooks in the financial sector. i am ashamed that not only won't corzine be prosecuted but that he will be allowed to start another hedge fund.

it is the primary JOB of the government to protect the citizens, and that also means from the con men. If regulatory agencies aren't going to do their job, get rid of them-then at least we don't have to pay them also to be swindled.

i am also ashamed that the federal reserve is not being audited, and that our congress doesn't consider that very important. (nor the president)

Old 10-08-2012, 05:45 PM

23,558 posts, read 17,232,713 times
direct your attention to your legislators

utube barney frank freddie - Bing Videos

Old 10-08-2012, 05:49 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,201,643 times
I'm not ashamed, I'm pissed.....

The government forced bad mortgage laws on the banks...

The yuppies scammed whatever they could from businesses...

The progressive elitists tell me what's right and wrong for me...

The American people only believe in what their favorite news rag tells them...

Corruption has been around since the first bank was invented by the Knights Templar...

If there is one thing I am ashamed of is how dumb most Americans are...

Old 10-08-2012, 05:54 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,916,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
I'm not ashamed, I'm pissed.....

The government forced bad mortgage laws on the banks...

The yuppies scammed whatever they could from businesses...

The progressive elitists tell me what's right and wrong for me...

The American people only believe in what their favorite news rag tells them...

Corruption has been around since the first bank was invented by the Knights Templar...

If there is one thing I am ashamed of is how dumb most Americans are...
i agree that as long as there is money, there will be scams-but i am not sure that i agree that most americans are dumb.

all the people i know knew that the bailouts were a scam, that the money printing is a scam/continues to be a scam, and that crooks have free reign in the financial sector at this time.

the problem is that citizens don't have the power to enforce the financial sector laws--it seems that citizen's arrest thing is highly overrated.

Old 10-08-2012, 06:08 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
It's all in here as to why you don't get outrage from the usual loud-mouths:

The Trillion-Dollar Bank Shakedown That Bodes Ill for Cities by Howard Husock, City Journal Winter 2000

Old 10-08-2012, 06:09 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,763,920 times
I don't think I would try to discuss this in terms of left vs. right terms, except the deregulation is certainly a right leaning element. More generally, we really need to realize, OUR negligence caused tremendous suffering worldwide. I cannot imagine that folks who are out of work in Spain or Ireland have much good to say about American capitalism these days.

I would love to have seen at least 50=100 people sent up the river with their assets seized. I am not sure why we did not have a bipartisan committee/ to do it.

Old 10-08-2012, 06:48 PM

510 posts, read 430,778 times
Quote:

Where is the outrage?
Who told them to make fraudulent loans? Who sued them in the '90s to force them into making more sub-prime loans? Oh yea Community Organizer lawyer Barack Obama and Bill Clinton's Justice Department.

You liberals should feel guilty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies