Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 02:56 PM

5,787 posts, read 4,714,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
within the zoo industry?

To be honest with you, I'd love to see all zoos closed down....and that goes for circuses that have animals performing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2012, 02:59 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,433,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
I suppose you advocate for animal rights. To what extent should humans protect the sanctity of animal rights within the zoo industry?
I find it hard to equate animal rights with the principals regarding libeterianism.

Animal rights are an ethical stance, not a goverment stance. So depending on where you fall on the ethics, you may sway on your goverment involvement.

No Libetarian, for example, would advocate for the idea that you can own people. . .as its ethically wrong.

So no, as a LIbeterian, I advocate for minimal goverment and have no real opinion on animal rights. I have a annual pass for the Denver Zoo, love taking my kids. . .

Old 10-09-2012, 03:00 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,000,767 times
Animals don't have rights. A right is something can only be claimed or possession of asserted by the individual to whom the right falls to. Animals can't do this - they can however be protected by human advocacy.

Regulation that intrudes on private property rights is wrong - protecting animals can be done through education and policies that promote the proper care and treatment of animals under human stewardship.

The golden rule applies - and it is true that a society can be judged by the way it treats its animals.

I think that we can agree on common sense standards of treatment of animals that respects their life and promotes property rights.

Old 10-09-2012, 03:02 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,000,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt800 View Post
To be honest with you, I'd love to see all zoos closed down....and that goes for circuses that have animals performing.
No more New York City?

Old 10-09-2012, 03:04 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,380,865 times
If you're a libertarian, it means you're for personal responsibility and rights. There should be no federal laws for animal rights.

Doesn't mean you can't support state animal rights laws, just not federal.

1,644 posts, read 2,171,818 times
Libertarianism isn't incompatable with animal rights. I consider myself a small "L" libertarian and I believe that every living, conscious being has the right to be protected. Most libertarians believe that one of the only fundamental functions of the government is to provide protection for the lives of it's inhabitant against threats, both foreign and domestic. An abusive person would be a domestic threat...animals have lives...therefore their lives are under a domestic threat subject to protection from the government, i.e., animal rights laws. I see no incompatability.

6,940 posts, read 9,676,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Animals don't have rights. A right is something can only be claimed or possession of asserted by the individual to whom the right falls to. Animals can't do this - they can however be protected by human advocacy.

Regulation that intrudes on private property rights is wrong - protecting animals can be done through education and policies that promote the proper care and treatment of animals under human stewardship.

The golden rule applies - and it is true that a society can be judged by the way it treats its animals.

I think that we can agree on common sense standards of treatment of animals that respects their life and promotes property rights.
Not always

Quote:
(ZOO ANIMALS) A chimpanzee at the Welsh Mountain Zoo made a heartbreaking plea for freedom when he used what appears to be sign language to ask people to open his cage. Passerbys noticed the chimp gesturing and tapping on the window. This isn’t the first instance when a wild animal in captivity has tried to escape his situation. Read on to find out more about this chimp’s desperate bid for freedom and why this is just one more reason why wildlife should not be in captivity. — Global Animal
Chimpanzee At Welsh Zoo Uses Sign Language To Communicate | Global Animal

Old 10-09-2012, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
No more New York City?

LOL....no I guess not.

But, from MY perspective then there wouldn't be an LA either!!

HUGE cities are all zoos in my book.

Old 10-09-2012, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
If you're a libertarian, it means you're for personal responsibility and rights. There should be no federal laws for animal rights.

Doesn't mean you can't support state animal rights laws, just not federal.

Ok....I'd be on board then with that.

As I said I never gave this topic much thought so I'm learning here.

Old 10-09-2012, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
Libertarianism isn't incompatable with animal rights. I consider myself a small "L" libertarian and I believe that every living, conscious being has the right to be protected. Most libertarians believe that one of the only fundamental functions of the government is to provide protection for the lives of it's inhabitant against threats, both foreign and domestic. An abusive person would be a domestic threat...animals have lives...therefore their lives are under a domestic threat subject to protection from the government, i.e., animal rights laws. I see no incompatability.

I can also see this point of view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies