Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 06:35 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
It's on page 6 of the "how to be a right winger" handbook.

Being a "good christian" simply means to hate gays and abortions. Bonus points for hating minorities and "da libs"
If you really think that, then you should go back to page 1.

Christians don't "hate" homosexuals. Or minorities. Or libs. Laugh at libs, yes (because there is so much about them to laugh at), but not hate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2012, 06:42 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Virtually every time there is a political sex scandal, it's almost also from the "family values" republicans, and the latest is another one.

Congressman Scott DesJarlais (R-TN) who is a hard right teabagger and staunchly anti-abortion, cheated on his now ex-wife, and forced his mistress to get an abortion when he found out she was pregnant.

Nothing says "family values" like the teabaggers!

Report: Anti-choice Republican forced mistress to have an abortion | The Raw Story
"Family values", "pro-life", "christian" etc are nothing but political talking points to many politicians. Look at Romney flip-flopping back and forth between being pro-life, and pro-choice depending on who he is talking to.

Old 10-11-2012, 06:49 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,514,296 times
Never heard of all the Dems who cheated huh? Heck Kennedy's Chappaquiddick was excused so I am not surprised it just goes by the wayside when it is a Dem.

Old 10-11-2012, 06:52 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Never heard of all the Dems who cheated huh? Heck Kennedy's Chappaquiddick was excused so I am not surprised it just goes by the wayside when it is a Dem.
Ah, when all else fails, bring out a Dead Kennedy . Apparently you didn't bother to read the story. This moron's platform was "anti-abortion, family values".

Old 10-11-2012, 07:01 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,045,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Nobody's denying that Dems are guilty of it too.

It's just that when you run on an anti-abortion, pro-family stance, and pull this, it kinda makes your campaign invalid.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:07 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,839,638 times
it's the same old hypocrisy as usual.

The moral high ground sounds great when it is imposed on someone else, but not so good in reality.

how many of these no premarital sex types actually live up to this ideal themselves anyway?

same with abortion, wages, idleness etc...

Old 10-11-2012, 08:25 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times
Default Contempt, disrespect, ridicule and hatred.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post

Christians don't "hate" homosexuals. Or minorities. Or libs. Laugh at libs, yes (because there is so much about them to laugh at), but not hate.
Laughing at people means you are ridiculing them ... showing contempt for them. The way I see it, that's another way of hating people.

Although I am not a Christian, I may not entirely agree with someone's political ideology, but I try to understand where they are coming from, and I respect them. I do not "laugh" at them. I understand that millions of educated Americans - including professors, doctors, senators, judges, presidents - hold the ideals of a conservative political philosophy. I understand that millions of educated Americans - including professors, doctors, senators, judges, presidents - hold the ideals of a liberal political philosophy.

If you hold your neighbors and work colleagues - who might vote differently than you - in contempt, you do not respect them. In my view that is hate. Is that what Christianity is all about? It certainly doesn't jive with my religion.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:37 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,839,638 times
Christianity is most definitely a 'my way or the highway' type affair.

where's the tolerance in that?

Old 10-11-2012, 08:53 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,327,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Ok lets see we had a president, the leader of this country, adorned by his party who was humping a gal with a cigar and getting BJ's while his wife was in the next room, his name was Clinton if you remember, so the dems are crying about some freshman congressman, hypocrites..
But Clinton never ran nor participated huge political campaigns that proposed the legal prohibition of the BJ. The right wing on the other hand is all about the banning of abortions. The right-wing uses family values as a staple of their platform. It's somewhere between terrorism and anti homosexuality. And the left takes more of an "it's your own business" stance.

Of course every politician wants to look like they care about family values, but the right wing preaches it because that's what a huge portion of their demographic wants to hear. As where the left has to preach to a different demographic that is generally far more laid back about sex.

I personally don't care what people do behind closed doors; I straight don't care what any politician does with their willie or who gets an abortion. But if they plan on instituting laws that everyone in the land is expected to follow then they need to practice what the preach.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:03 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatis View Post
But Clinton never ran nor participated huge political campaigns that proposed the legal prohibition of the BJ. The right wing on the other hand is all about the banning of abortions. The right-wing uses family values as a staple of their platform. It's somewhere between terrorism and anti homosexuality. And the left takes more of an "it's your own business" stance.

Of course every politician wants to look like they care about family values, but the right wing preaches it because that's what a huge portion of their demographic wants to hear. As where the left has to preach to a different demographic that is generally far more laid back about sex.

I personally don't care what people do behind closed doors; I straight don't care what any politician does with their willie or who gets an abortion. But if they plan on instituting laws that everyone in the land is expected to follow then they need to practice what the preach.
You hit the nail on the head. That is precisely the point.

It's not about what politicians do behind closed doors. Both Eisenhower and FDR had mistresses. An attempt was made to smear Grover Cleveland with a sex scandal. There is abundant evidence now that James Buchanan was gay.

It's about the hypocrisy of the so-called "traditional morals" gang.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies