Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is abortion harmful to the woman?
Yes 41 46.07%
No 48 53.93%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 09:51 AM

1,438 posts, read 1,145,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
So you don't like Obamacare because you mistakenly believe "they" make all the choices for you....(and ignore the Health Insurance companies who really do make the decisions).

Yup, YOU hate the thought of others making YOUR decisions but YOU feel perfectly content to take away CHOICE from women.
Why to twist everything I said. Good job. Give the woman(?) a medal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2012, 09:58 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
What do you think? There are many studies that have shown that black women are particularly harmed by the effects of abortion.

Do you think it is harmful?
As much as I am pretty strongly pro life (with some exceptions) I do no think an abortion is damaging to a females physical health,but what about their mental health? How many regret their decision after the fact?

Nita

Old 10-13-2012, 10:00 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,660,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary54mi View Post
Sucking the contents out of the uterus can cause problems.
Besides the obvious isuues created immediately afterward as with any other surgery, I have done histories on women who were infertile from repeated abortions. They admitted that it was from use of the procedure as birth control.
Repeated abortion harms the uterus no more than repeated pregnancy does.

Old 10-13-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Gee, I didn't know I was supposed to have mental issues relating to my abortion. All I felt was relief.
maybe you didn't, no one but you knows why you made your decision and what type a person you are: I happen to know 5 women who have aborted: one for medical reasons and no, she does not regret it and the other 4 had their own reasons: 3 or them do regret their decision, the 4th I do not know how she feels.

Old 10-13-2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
Most of the "studies" showing this are underwritten by groups opposing abortion rights. In any case, whatever stress women may feel as a result of getting abortions, you can bet it is less stress than a 18+ years of raising they didn't want or weren't ready for.
There are studies that can show whatever you want then to show and most are set to show a view the group wants. I have learned many years ago to take all studies with a grain of salt. This goes for the studies that show abortion isn't a health factor or the studies that show women do not regret aborting or have no mental side effects. The sad thing, a huge number of thsoe who are not ready for parenthood, especially minorities are the ones who abort. Blacks and Hispanics notoriously choose to give birth and raise their children..

Old 10-13-2012, 10:35 AM

221 posts, read 282,886 times
Any medical procedure could be harmful to anyone. I don't get the point of this thread, other than to be another anti abortion thread.

My jaw got messed up from a particularly difficult to do filling in a back molar. Now I have re-occuring pain that causes me emotional distress sometimes. I also have a permanent injury from a cortisone shot of which I had a doctor insist on giving me constantly for acne when I was very young.

An abortion might harm a woman. It might not. That's the nature of medicine.

I guarantee I would not be harmed by an abortion, at least emotionally. If my BCP ever failed, I'd be in extreme distress until I got the abortion. Fortunately I'm age 38 and the BCP certain groups would like to see banned (another topic) have kept me from ever even having a pregnancy scare.

Old 10-13-2012, 10:39 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,146,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
As much as I am pretty strongly pro life (with some exceptions) I do no think an abortion is damaging to a females physical health,but what about their mental health? How many regret their decision after the fact?

Nita
Why do you think another adult's decisions or feelings are your responsibility?

Old 10-13-2012, 10:49 AM

5,906 posts, read 5,736,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post

Nita
The same can be said for many women who carry pregnancies to term. Some were pressured to do so, others discover they had no business becoming a parent. For those women who choose not to give the children up for adoption, both the woman and her child potentially suffer for it through neglect, abuse, or resentment. Some abandon their children altogether.

Neither abortion nor live birth guarantee a life free from regret or medical complications, and neither do they guarantee a life of bliss.

But the choice should remain with the individual woman to decide which one is best for herself, her future, and her family.

Old 10-13-2012, 10:52 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,152,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayneinspain View Post
The same can be said for many women who carry pregnancies to term. Some were pressured to do so, others discover they had no business becoming a parent. For those women who choose not to give the children up for adoption, both the woman and her child potentially suffer for it through neglect, abuse, or resentment. Some abandon their children.

Neither abortion nor live birth guarantee a life free from regret or medical complications, and neither do they guarantee a life of bliss.

But the choice should remain with the individual woman to decide which one is best for herself, her future, and her family.
Beautifully said.

Old 10-13-2012, 11:10 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,457,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudegubmintworker View Post
I guarantee I would not be harmed by an abortion, at least emotionally. If my BCP ever failed, I'd be in extreme distress until I got the abortion. Fortunately I'm age 38 and the BCP certain groups would like to see banned (another topic) have kept me from ever even having a pregnancy scare.
Do you really think anyone other than a small fringe group wants to ban birth control?

There was a thread started a few days ago where a young woman expressed concern that birth control could be made illegal if Romney is elected.

I have to ask....where does this idea come from that there is any push to ban birth control? Yes, obviously a large group does want to ban abortion/increase restrictions on abortion, but who wants to ban birth control? I'm sure that a very large percentage - probably a majority - of pro-life women are on birth control pills/have taken birth control pills themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies