Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 10:10 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Really? An electronic pump that regulates when you can start pumping, accurately records people's purchase, and receives payments for cheaper & better than it costs to have someone stand there doing the same thing is somehow not responsible for that someone no longer having a job?

Was there some point in the past when they were working side by side and then gov't stepped in slapped a tax on using the human service? Or did they regulate the height, weight, dental hygiene of the human service so hard that it drove them away from the pump? Or maybe jack booted thugs swooped in and beat up everyone that thought about using the human instead of the pump...
oh please. the electronic pumps were phased in after the human labor was phased out. and it wasnt done by government decree either. human labor was phased out because gas stations operated on slim profit margins, so they relied on things OTHER than gasoline sales for profit. for instance in the old days the local gas station also did oil changes, tune up, tire repairs, etc. as people went to tire dealers for tire repairs, oil change centers like jiffy lube for oil changes, and as cars got more complex they went to the dealers or independent repair shops for repairs, gas stations evolved into convenience markets that sold gasoline. the electronic pumps were a way to prevent people from stealing gasoline. pay up front, then pump your gas. it prevented drive offs which cost the businesses money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 08:35 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Notice they tell you they support it but never get out the checkbook lol.. They agree as long as it's someone else's money.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:39 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,937,526 times
What it tells me is that they have already figured a way that "they" individually have figured out a way to avoid paying the tax themselves.. It could be by passing the cost on to their customers, or by writting off certain expenditures. You can bet, no wealthy person in the US became wealthy by paying more in taxes...

Old 12-02-2012, 08:41 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,071,184 times
Quote:
I think Democrats have been doing themselves a disservice by trying to garner support from Americans in general for raising taxes on the rich b/c that plays into the rhetoric of class warfare. What they should be doing is pointing out the rich believe that they should pay more taxes.

A couple of times a year since Obama took office a poll is done that highlights a majority of people making over $1M/year support raising taxes on themselves. When Obama first came into office, that # was barely over 50%. The latest one I could find has it close to 70%.

This is a message straight from the horse's mouth. And when you weigh it against the fact there are rich people that oppose paying any taxes on principle, not financials, that should have been the nail in the coffin on the tax debate.

[URL="http://blogs.wsj.com/wealth/2011/10/27/most-millionaires-support-warren-buffetts-tax-on-the-rich/"]Millionaires Support Warren Buffett[/URL]
When you take money out of the economy by increasing actual taxes, it doesn't really matter where you insert the siphon tube, for the result is the same. Less fuel for the economy (where it would have done good, and more fuel for government, where it does far less good, and often, much harm.

America, you are being sold the seeds of your own destruction, under the disguise of "Getevenism". If you swallow the bait, you are world-class fools.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:48 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Quote:
I think Democrats have been doing themselves a disservice by trying to garner support from Americans in general for raising taxes on the rich b/c that plays into the rhetoric of class warfare. What they should be doing is pointing out the rich believe that they should pay more taxes.

A couple of times a year since Obama took office a poll is done that highlights a majority of people making over $1M/year support raising taxes on themselves. When Obama first came into office, that # was barely over 50%. The latest one I could find has it close to 70%.

This is a message straight from the horse's mouth. And when you weigh it against the fact there are rich people that oppose paying any taxes on principle, not financials, that should have been the nail in the coffin on the tax debate.

Millionaires Support Warren Buffett
That really doesn't mean much with the numbers;remmeber its on over 250K. Most millionaires likely think they can makeup for it. Afterall since wealth sharing started in the mid 60's thru program they have inceased their wealth share alot.Many would be happy I think to have government do many things they deal with now like Health insurance that's a headache.Doesn't mean they want eqaul anything tho including healthcare. If yopu look they want to pay doctor for undemand service increasigly like a lawyer o retiner;they want to make their livig areas secure from the maddening crowd and have exclusive get away by makig coat too high .

Old 12-03-2012, 12:25 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,650,086 times
I am not surprised that the wealthy realize they are not paying their fair share of taxes. Take a look at the following graphs.

American Pie: Wealth and Income Inequality in America

Old 12-08-2012, 03:39 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,322,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
What it tells me is that they have already figured a way that "they" individually have figured out a way to avoid paying the tax themselves.. It could be by passing the cost on to their customers, or by writting off certain expenditures. You can bet, no wealthy person in the US became wealthy by paying more in taxes...
But there are many that became wealthy by NOT paying their fair share in taxes

Old 12-08-2012, 03:53 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Just cracks me up that so many posters are arguing tooth and nail for the rich when the rich themselves rarely argue very vociferously for themselves. Hilarious.

You'd think these posters were rich, but they aren't. Nor are they ever gonna be rich. Worse, half the rich folks in this country don't even vote for conservatives. And STILL, Conservatives wanna fall on their swords for these people. Makes no sense.

Old 12-08-2012, 04:13 PM

510 posts, read 430,705 times
Right, the SUPER RICH can obviously afford to pay a little more but that's not who Obama is talking about taxing. There's simply not enough SUPER RICH people to fill the gap, so...

Ask the struggling small business family of 4 living in San Jose making 255K what they think of Obama's tax increase on them. I bet they're not going to be as cool with it as moneybags Buffet.

Old 12-08-2012, 05:12 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,999,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FabianS View Post
Right, the SUPER RICH can obviously afford to pay a little more but that's not who Obama is talking about taxing. There's simply not enough SUPER RICH people to fill the gap, so...

Ask the struggling small business family of 4 living in San Jose making 255K what they think of Obama's tax increase on them. I bet they're not going to be as cool with it as moneybags Buffet.
Dude, where I live 255K for a family of 4 aint struggling. Now I do know California has some out of wake property values perhaps they need to reset even more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies