Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2013, 11:33 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,622,646 times

Advertisements

Guaranteed loans and guaranteed non dischargeable loans artificially increase school prices as well I agree with that.

Unfortunately try explaining that to these people.

The general population doesn't think normally anymore. I gave up a while ago I just chuckle now when I hear the BS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 11:35 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,541,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strate L O S S View Post
Guaranteed loans and guaranteed non dischargeable loans artificially increase school prices as well I agree with that.

Unfortunately try explaining that to these people.

The general population doesn't think normally anymore. I gave up a while ago I just chuckle now when I hear the BS.
How ? The government has paid the tuition and the student is now paying back the government.
Are you just referring to loans made directly by the college and paid back to the college ?

Old 01-06-2013, 11:40 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,074,501 times
"If the U.S. got rid of welfare, what would happen?"

Charles Dickens anyone?

Old 01-06-2013, 11:43 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,233,400 times
We'd be a nation without welfare. Beyond that, who knows?

Every first world nation has it. And I assume that its because they fear a certain amount of anarchy if they didn't have it.

Besides, I'm not interested in pre-Depression America. And truthfully, neither are any of you. Especially the folks claiming that they are. They're liars.

Old 01-06-2013, 12:13 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,622,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
How ? The government has paid the tuition and the student is now paying back the government.
Are you just referring to loans made directly by the college and paid back to the college ?
Guaranteed availability of $xx for some rinky dink degree that isn't really marketable makes it possible to charge $xx for that rinky dink degree.

If Chase was underwriting a loan would they loan $50-$80k on someone learning closet designs ?

Non dischargeable meaning even post bankruptcy the money is owed.

This enables colleges to charge whatever they want, for whatever they want.

Old 01-06-2013, 12:45 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,692,752 times
we should get rid of corporate welfare of Defense Contractors. They are taking billions of dollars out of our budget. Welfare of private prison companies. That should be checked also. Republicans keep quiet about them-I wonder why???

Old 01-06-2013, 12:53 PM

657 posts, read 696,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
we should get rid of corporate welfare of Defense Contractors. They are taking billions of dollars out of our budget. Welfare of private prison companies. That should be checked also. Republicans keep quiet about them-I wonder why???
This is true. We have the same issue with the medical industry, education, and unions. Amputate all of them.

Old 01-06-2013, 12:57 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,780,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post

Let's say that, in a radical attempt to balance the budget, Congress entirely cut spending on SNAP (food stamps), Section 8 (subsidized housing), and ......
In all the bru ha-ha about the cliff and deficits, I am not hearing any senator or congressman beating the table to cut SNAP, Section 8 or TANF, yet these seem to be the hot buttons with a lot of people.

Why is there a disconnect?

Old 01-06-2013, 12:58 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,736,042 times
Welfare is actually outdated. Like Bill Clinton boasted as he was pushing through the NAFTA deal, it's time that Americans learn to compete with the 3rd world labor.

And that means a return to the 3rd world way of life and living arrangements. For example in 3rd world countries, it extended families all living under the same roof, while we keep trying to maintain some semblence of the nuclear family -- just without the father.

The entire Section 8 program should be tossed and let adult children remain living with their parents --- that way they can accept low paying jobs or not work and won't just cost the taxpayers so much. Let the parents who raise them keep on supporting them. Food stamps of course could be cut -- the parents can keep feeding their adult children indefinitely -- and when the parents get old or infirm, they wouldn't need Medicaid or disability checks, those adult children who never left home could take care of them.

That's how it's done in other countries. Several families and generations all share the same house. No one is living off welfare handouts. If someone doesn't feel like working or wasn't raised with a work ethic -- their families take care of them.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:07 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,736,042 times
I think the liberals should stop acting like Chicken Little on ending welfare. It's doomed because they keep making it bigger and bigger and already it's not sustainable.

When welfare ends, Section 8 goes -- and kids not capable of making a life of their own will stay living with their parents. Grandparents can help take care of the grandchildren living with them. No disaster there. In fact that would be a big improvement for the children.

Single mothers might try a little harder to remember who the fathers of their children might be so they could get child support instead of TANF checks and the other welfare handouts. They might even try to remember to use birth control so they don't keep having babies they can't afford without all the government handouts.

Without food stamps and WIC food prices would come down --- making food more affordable to those who have to work to buy food. Housing prices would also come down -- because of Section 8, the government keep rising the rent costs. Everytime the government decides that Section 8 renters get another couple of hundred dollars, all the slum lords just raise their prices to match what the government will pay. This makes it very hard on those who work for what they want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies