Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2013, 01:52 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
A lot of people could feed their kids if taxes were cut which is what would happen if we eliminated all welfare.

And others would have to get rid of their smartphones .....

Lower taxes and the right incentives would spur more charity.

If we eliminated all welfare government would find other ways to squander money, and I doubt my taxes would go down one dollar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 01:59 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Where would that be since you've now made the parents homeless?

(singing)
Third boxcar, midnight train
Destination, Bangor Maine
(/singing)

Old 01-07-2013, 02:17 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,937,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
(singing)
Third boxcar, midnight train
Destination, Bangor Maine
(/singing)
Don't quit your day job...

Old 01-07-2013, 03:08 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,622,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Really? Who doesn't need to eat, be clothed, etc?
My friend, I'm hardly even talking about welfare as in food vouchers.

Besides IF I were I'd point out that everyday I see people using their welfare card to buy chips, soda, and candy. I know that's anecdotal.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:43 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,419,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Chicago and Washington, D.C. public schools are extremely well-funded by local taxpayers, spending over $13,000 per student per year. They get abysmal results. Inadequate funding isn't the problem.
That's barely above the national average, and doesn't take into account the discrepancy in spending between the inner-cities and suburbs. Do the suburban schools get more money? Is water wet?

Old 01-07-2013, 03:57 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times
Luckily for politicians most of those benefitting are too young to vote. Republicans could be in disarray. Oh, they aren't already?

Old 01-07-2013, 04:40 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I would agree there would be a lot of violence but those that can work would seek out jobs at some point, hunger is a very big motivator. You'd be left with the needy and the criminals.
Total oversimplification. Many of the poor already work and do not get paid enough to live. Let's address the real issue here - corporations relying on the welfare system to keep their expenses down.

The poor, as usual, are caught in the crossfire.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Yours and other's opinions which insinuate a general sense of entitlement and laziness existing are probably not far off the mark. However, this is a byproduct of artificial conditions created to effect this very situation of dependency on the government, and thereby more controllable by that government.

Like the old saying, "give a man a fish and you feed him for a day, but teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime". The man given the fish is totally dependent and very much at your mercy, while the man who was taught how to fish, is independent, and no longer needs you.

So the answer cannot be to simply feed him fish for a long enough period that he is helpless without you, and then refuse to provide the fish ... such an act would be cruel and callous, and particularly so, if you have also removed most all of the fish from the lake, and have shipped all of the available fishing poles overseas, too.

If you get my drift.
And as has been said in many threads over time, a man cannot fish if he does not have a pole or live within traveling distance to water.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:44 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Welfare needs to be eliminated for everyone who is not disabled ( real physical disabilities not these questionable mental ones) and the elderly. Unemployment can be preserved. This 50 year experiment of cash transfers needs to end.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Welfare needs to be eliminated for everyone who is not disabled ( real physical disabilities not these questionable mental ones) and the elderly. Unemployment can be preserved. This 50 year experiment of cash transfers needs to end.
Forgive my ignorance, but what is the difference between giving someone benefits under the name of "Unemployment" or "Welfare"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies