Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 03:05 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,959,936 times

Advertisements

First, this whole Blue State = liberal state is silly.
Second, the divorce rates are tied to voting patterns but not directly. This is how it works: People who have higher levels of education statistically have much lower rates of divorce than lower educated individuals. A better education often means more money and more money usually means a more stable home environment. More education also means that people likely put off marriage until their mid-late twenties and people who marry later have much lower divorce rates than people who marry young.

The connection to voting patterns is from people with higher educations and incomes (up to and then past certain levels) trend voting for Democrats in national elections.

You can trace divorce rates of any given state, county, MSA, etc... directly back to educational attainment. And religious affiliation can also be thrown in the mix too as Catholics, Mainline Protestants and non-Affiliated have a far lower rate of divorce than Evangelicals and Baptists. So, it makes sense that the states with the highest incomes, levels of educational attainment and concentrations of non-Evangelicals and Baptists will have the lowest divorce rates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
Quite right.

The poster also ignores the possibility that, just as people with conservative beliefs are often inconsistent in their personal lives, people with liberal beliefs are often inconsistent in their personal lives.

It's also probable that exposure to, and intimate familiarity with, the actual results of liberal policies/ideas tends to make people more conservative. This could explain why states with large dysfunctional minority (numerical, not racial) populations, whose pathologies are the direct result of liberal policies, also have conservative majority populations who are fed up with the folly.

Do liberals really believe in marriage? Well, sort of ....

Cool Wedding Portlandia on IFC - YouTube
I think you just outed yourself as either a performance artists or a very effective troll. Portlandia is pure satire of white urban liberals, and we know True Conservatives don't do satire.

Last edited by Mr. Mon; 10-15-2012 at 03:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 03:11 PM

775 posts, read 741,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
First, this whole Blue State = liberal state is silly.
Stalling objection. Blue does not necessarily equal liberal, but liberals are the most common in the NE, so your distinction, while correct, is irrelevant.

Old 10-15-2012, 03:38 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,480,513 times
People in the northeast make the most money. Divorce is too expensive.

Old 10-15-2012, 05:40 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
People in the northeast make the most money. Divorce is too expensive.
We do?

That video....... the guy with the big loops in his ears....... if i ever see that guy in my woods, in my mountains, is it ok if I hang him on a tree?

Do freaks like that get married? Why bother? But the book was priceless

And what was the pint of her helmet hair?
God I love being OLD!

Old 10-17-2012, 09:50 AM

78,429 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Yeah, one thing I learned when I moved to the Bible Belt is that nobody actually reads their Bibles. hmmm....
I'd just be happy if some of you actually read a math book.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:01 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,730,610 times
The states mentioned as having the lowest divorce rates also have some of the lowest marriage rates. Not possible to get divorced if you're not married.

Not sure why the map isn't posting correctly, but you can see it here:
http://www.slate.com/articles/life/m..._the_u_s_.html

Old 10-17-2012, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
The states mentioned as having the lowest divorce rates also have some of the lowest marriage rates. Not possible to get divorced if you're not married.

Not sure why the map isn't posting correctly, but you can see it here:
http://www.slate.com/articles/life/m..._the_u_s_.html
I don't really know, but i do know i am older and very married.. The younger generations appear to be ok with their SO thing, and do what married people do, under sharing bills but don't allow any Govt to mess up their lives.

Old 10-17-2012, 01:46 PM

2,476 posts, read 2,604,247 times
It's low because they don't get married.....

Old 10-17-2012, 01:53 PM

78,429 posts, read 60,613,724 times
I'm getting really sick of the masses of uneducated partisans running around playing with statistics.

It's like watching a chimpanzee play with a loaded pistol or someone fixing a car by lifting the hood and striking out randomly with a hammer.

It's like an illiterate individual giving a book reading only instead of being embarassed they are screaming out non-sense at the top of thier lungs.

Old 10-17-2012, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I'm getting really sick of the masses of uneducated partisans running around playing with statistics.

It's like watching a chimpanzee play with a loaded pistol or someone fixing a car by lifting the hood and striking out randomly with a hammer.

It's like an illiterate individual giving a book reading only instead of being embarassed they are screaming out non-sense at the top of thier lungs.
I think something is in the water... really........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies