Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 02:19 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,517,565 times

Advertisements

So, Exactly When Did Obama Serve In The Military? Anyone? Bueller? - Chicks on the Right

Ann Romney went on The View today. She went without Mitt, and I give her a crapload of credit for even walking foot into that studio full of liberal harpies plus one token conservative chick (who usually gets steamrolled). Of course, Joy barely spoke, and her disdain for Romney was palpable, while Whoopi tried to grill her on Mitt not ever being in the military. Which is strange, because I don't remember Whoopi (or any liberals in the lamestream media, for that matter) grilling Michelle on HER husband not ever being in the military.
Huh. Weird, isn't it? I would put the clip up here, but I couldn't find an embeddable one. So, if you're so inclined, you can watch Whoopi's line of questioning here.

Anywho, Ann politely schooled Whoopi on how Mormons actually DO serve in the military, despite Whoopi assuming from "something she read" that Mormons are against doing so, presumably in the same place where Whoopi and all of her liberal gal pals read that Romney wants to ban all forms of birth control and completely overturn Roe v. Wade and make all women go barefoot, get pregnant against their will, and bake pies all day long while their overbearing Republican husbands tell them to "hurry up, woman!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 02:22 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,496,683 times
I've never thought of the military service question as being appropriate, or a 'big deal' for either of these two ... because neither served in the armed forces. I agree that we can pick at either for not serving. In their own ways, however, they "served" ... in different ways. Romney served his church. Obama served his community helping the disadvantaged. That's fair enough, for me. And I'm also uncomfortable attacking family members. They're, basically, innocent bystandards and expected to help-out. Hands-off, unless they do/say something over the line.

Old 10-18-2012, 02:33 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,861,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
So, Exactly When Did Obama Serve In The Military? Anyone? Bueller? - Chicks on the Right

Ann Romney went on The View today. She went without Mitt, and I give her a crapload of credit for even walking foot into that studio full of liberal harpies plus one token conservative chick (who usually gets steamrolled). Of course, Joy barely spoke, and her disdain for Romney was palpable, while Whoopi tried to grill her on Mitt not ever being in the military. Which is strange, because I don't remember Whoopi (or any liberals in the lamestream media, for that matter) grilling Michelle on HER husband not ever being in the military.
Huh. Weird, isn't it? I would put the clip up here, but I couldn't find an embeddable one. So, if you're so inclined, you can watch Whoopi's line of questioning here.

Anywho, Ann politely schooled Whoopi on how Mormons actually DO serve in the military, despite Whoopi assuming from "something she read" that Mormons are against doing so, presumably in the same place where Whoopi and all of her liberal gal pals read that Romney wants to ban all forms of birth control and completely overturn Roe v. Wade and make all women go barefoot, get pregnant against their will, and bake pies all day long while their overbearing Republican husbands tell them to "hurry up, woman!"
He's been in the Military for almost 4 years so far, he's re-upping for 4 more years this Nov.

Old 10-18-2012, 02:42 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,710,498 times
Quote:

What does the article/thread title have to do with the actual content of the essay/post?

If one does not know the answer, or if one has received/read conflicting information, the best thing to do is ask someone who does know the answer, correct?

As for Mrs. Romney's response, it was hardly a 'schooling.' She said, "yes, Mormons do serve" and then went on to say something about "Missions" of the non-military kind.
All rather innocuous really.

As for the whole military service thing, if the author (or you) still don't understand why it seems hypocritical for someone to actively support (a) war and then do everything in his power to avoid serving in said war while others of his generation were being drafted and shipped overseas, well, what can I say? The disconnect marches on.

Old 10-18-2012, 02:51 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
See the thing is... Mitt wanted his fellow 20-somethings in the 60's to get drafted and go to Vietnam. Just not him.

When you protest FOR the draft and against the anti-war demonstrators, then take a powder yourself and go to Paris to knock on doors, it says a whole lot about your character. Mitt and Anne were eating tuna off an ironing board. How wonderful for them.

Yes, Mormons serve in the military. (But not Mitt.)

1,728,344 men were drafted during the Vietnam War. (But not Mitt.)

17,725 of those men were killed during the Vietnam War. 30% of the men who were drafted came home in boxes. (But not Mitt.) My guess is those men would have LOVED to have been eating tuna off an ironing board with their wives all safe and sound and not dead in the ground.

Obama wasn't the student who said, "YOU go, but I won't." That's the difference.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 10-18-2012 at 02:59 PM..

Old 10-18-2012, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
See the thing is... Mitt wanted his fellow 20-somethings in the 60's to get drafted and go to Vietnam. Just not him.

When you protest FOR the draft and against the anti-war demonstrators, then take a powder yourself and go to Paris to knock on doors, it says a whole lot about your character. Mitt and Anne were eating tuna off an ironing board. How wonderful for them.

Yes, Mormons serve in the military. (But not Mitt.)

1,728,344 men were drafted during the Vietnam War. (But not Mitt.)

17,725 of those men were killed during the Vietnam War. 30% of the men who were drafted came home in boxes. (But not Mitt.) My guess is those men would have LOVED to have been eating tuna off an ironing board with their wives all safe and sound and not dead in the ground.

Obama wasn't the student who said, "YOU go, but I won't." That's the difference.
So Obama served in the Gulf War??? Where is this story?

Old 10-18-2012, 02:55 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,060,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
I've never thought of the military service question as being appropriate, or a 'big deal' for either of these two ... because neither served in the armed forces.
The question becomes relevant in light of the fact that unlike Obama, Romney was eligible for the draft during the height of the Vietnam war and sought 4 deferments while being an active supporter of that war.

Old 10-18-2012, 02:55 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,411,082 times
Quote:

What I remember is seeing pictures of Willard during the Vietnam era demonstrating in support of both the war and the draft, then conveniently avoiding both by running off to France.

Have anything similar of Obama supporting a war he decided not to serve in when he was of that age or should we just label Willard as the Chickenhawk he is?

Old 10-18-2012, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
He's been in the Military for almost 4 years so far, he's re-upping for 4 more years this Nov.
Correction----Obama has been cutting funds to the military for almost 4 years.

Old 10-18-2012, 02:56 PM

2,548 posts, read 2,164,379 times
Quote:
Correction----Obama has been cutting funds to the military for almost 4 years.
Good, that's one thing I agree with Obama on, still not voting for him however
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies