Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 11:40 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,642,077 times

Advertisements

computers create jobs. Someone has to build them, someone has to repair them, someone has to sell them, etc, etc...
why did I answer this stupid post??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2012, 11:55 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayabone View Post
computers create jobs. Someone has to build them, someone has to repair them, someone has to sell them, etc, etc...
why did I answer this stupid post??
for the same reason you post in this forum, you are a glutton for punishment.

Old 10-21-2012, 12:17 AM

16,216 posts, read 11,335,819 times
The issue hasn't been raised, and Luddism surely is not the answer, but the cybernetic revolution has diminished the options for a substantial number of people, many of them in their mature years, who formerly supported themselves via now-automated skills.

For a number of years I workd as a motor fleet dispatcher, for several compamies which operated over a wide segment of North America. I had a reputation as "Mr. Rand McNally"; I not only could tell you how to get from here to most of the places that counted -- I could tel you how to get directly from one to the other. Computerized routing systems and GPS took a kot of the marketability out of that skill.

I will readily admit to an introverted personality; I'd rather work in a small group, or even alone, and at a non-tradilional hour, than to take a back-row desk in a large office or call center, there to be micro-managed by an agressive and intrusive supervisor, whose goal is often little more than a uniform mediocrity. But the ability to move business around the globe, and to avoid dependency on a handful of specially-skilled employees geared to 24/7 operation, has likewise diminished that option.

Unfortunately, there are fewer and fewer opportuities for "lighthouse keepers" out there.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 10-21-2012 at 01:05 AM..

Old 10-21-2012, 07:21 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,867,959 times
A computer is just as bad as any other simple man-made tool.

Even something as simple as a shovel. Or a knife. An axe. A fork. A water hose.

The wheel.

A man-made lock on a door prohibits someone who could be hired for good money to stand there and prevent people from entering.

All of these so-called "efficiencies" are really just doing things that other humans could be doing and getting paid for. They are hurting the economy!

Old 10-21-2012, 09:32 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
A handful of technicians is not equivalent to the millions or billions of people that it would have taken to perform the same tasks manually.
Manually would mean it a letter would have to be handwritten, but really are there any studies showing that computers drastically reduced the number of personnel or the time required to send out a letter or report?

See before you needed a typewriter and someone to type the letter. Now you need a whole network of people before anything can be done. Network admins, helpdesk support, software installers, trainers, software support, printer technicians and so on.

I think such a study might be interesting - a secretary still has to type out words, even if voice recognition software is used, proofreading and corrections are required. For any kind of report, data entry into the computer is required. If anything computers create many jobs. They really require a lot more support personnel than the typewriter did.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:56 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,244,629 times
I wonder if in a world where robots do all the work and humans can leisure all day or work as a hobby, luddites will still complain about technology having taken our jobs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies