Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 04:38 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,353,683 times

Advertisements

At first I didn't want to believe it but it appears he did so nope no sympathy for Lance he got away with it for a long time and he had his glory days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2012, 04:43 PM

800 posts, read 508,600 times
I couldn't care less what the dopes in the US Anti-Doping Agency say, Lance will always be a 7 time champion in my book and I think he would have won the titles regardless if everybody was doping or if nobody was doping. He was a genetic freak in that his muscles had such a high lactic acid threshold and his training dedication, cancer recovery, and philanthropy was an inspiration to millions.

If he was doping then they should have caught him back when he was in the races, once he wins the titles it should be too late, if they didn't have the info,technology or the timing to catch him back then then too freaking bad.

And heres another thing, why should the US Anti Doping Agency(a quasi government agency that receives tax dollar subsidies) even exist? Let the US cycling Federation or the organizing body of the Tour De France or whatever deal with this issue. Here we are at 16.6 trillion in debt and we're wasting money on persecuting heroes within what is just a game?

Old 10-20-2012, 04:46 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wambatown81 View Post
I couldn't care less what the dopes in the US Anti-Doping Agency say, Lance will always be a 7 time champion in my book and I think he would have won the titles regardless if everybody was doping or if nobody was doping. He was a genetic freak in that his muscles had such a high lactic acid threshold and his training dedication, cancer recovery, and philanthropy was an inspiration to millions.

If he was doping then they should have caught him back when he was in the races, once he wins the titles it should be too late, if they didn't have the info,technology or the timing to catch him back then then too freaking bad.

And heres another thing, why should the US Anti Doping Agency(a quasi government agency that receives tax dollar subsidies) even exist? Let the US cycling Federation or the organizing body of the Tour De France or whatever deal with this issue. Here we are at 16.6 trillion in debt and we're wasting money on persecuting heroes within what is just a game?

Just like Barry Bonds would have made the home run record, or Mark Mcguire, and it doesn't explain Arods fall from grace after he quit doping.....

Bury your head if you like, truth hurts.

I wish his story would have been free from the taint of doping, but it isn't. I just wish he'd be honest about it.

Old 10-20-2012, 04:50 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
Exactly.. By doping Lance kept himself on a level playing field with the rest of the cheats in the dirtiest sport in the world.
Where was this outpouring of sympathy for Barry Bonds or Sammy Sosa?

Old 10-20-2012, 05:07 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Just like Barry Bonds would have made the home run record, or Mark Mcguire, and it doesn't explain Arods fall from grace after he quit doping.....

Bury your head if you like, truth hurts.

I wish his story would have been free from the taint of doping, but it isn't. I just wish he'd be honest about it.
Arod sure dropped off the last couple years. Of course he's choked every playoff except for one. McGuire was so loaded up I don't think he knew where he was half the time. Same with Bonds and Sosa.

Old 10-20-2012, 05:17 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,156,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
So even though he was a better cyclist than the rest, he was supposed to just let almost all the others who were juicing beat him while he didnt?

He wasn't a better cyclist than most. He had the most sophisticated system of doping within the sport. He also responded better to doping than most. This is what the apologists and excuse-makers lose in all this. Their understanding is fatally flawed. They assume, erroneously, that since most cyclists doped, the playing field was "level." Of course, it was not. Some, like Armstrong, used more advanced cheating techniques. Additionally, different athletes respond to similar chemicals differently. Some simply saw far greater gains in power and efficiency than others. Armstrong was one of them.

One of the many fairy tales put out there was that Armstrong was inherently more gifted than others. In point of fact, there other riders with better physiological numbers. For instance, the 2011 Tour de France Champion, Cadel Evans, has recorded a VO2 max of 88. Armstrong's best was 82. Armstrong's best rival, Jan Ullrich, produced a higher watt output in the 1997 Tour than Armstrong subsequently produced.

Another fairy tale is that Armstrong was lighter after cancer than before. Yet another is that he "trained harder." Yet another is that he "never failed a test." Still another is that if he really never had failed a test, he could not have been doping.

In short the five people who still believe he never doped along with the few thousand left who make excuses for his doping know little about cycling and little about the facts.

Old 10-20-2012, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Arod sure dropped off the last couple years. Of course he's choked every playoff except for one. McGuire was so loaded up I don't think he knew where he was half the time. Same with Bonds and Sosa.

At least A rod was honest about it, McGuire to to some extent. Bonds, not so much, but anyone with two functioning brain cells knows a mans head doesn't grow that much larger after he's an adult.

Old 10-20-2012, 05:25 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,156,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I think its a reasonable assumption that he doped. Does it mean anything to me? No, but to many former team mates, some as highly respected in the sport as Armstrong was, have said he doped.

Like I said, to me, its the fact he's lied about it for so long thats so disappointing to me.
He lied in certain venues. However, he was so cocky that he openly spoke of his doping in certain public venues in Europe, so confident was he in his belief that he would never be held to account.

As I said before, the greatest value of his story is as a cautionary tale about the dangers of faith. It's frightening how willing so many human beings are to believe in the implausible and the fantastic.

Old 10-20-2012, 05:25 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
I have met Armstrong a number of times over the years, he seemed like a decent person. As an athlete, this is wrong, but it doesn't change my opinion of him as a person.

Old 10-20-2012, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I have met Armstrong a number of times over the years, he seemed like a decent person. As an athlete, this is wrong, but it doesn't change my opinion of him as a person.
I would feel the same way, if he was honest about what he did.

But he's not being honest, he's running like a scared cat. A man is only as good as his word, or so it used to be.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies