Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 10:43 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,224,159 times

Advertisements

A sad story with a happy ending.

Quote:
Missouri girl found safe after alleged abduction by convicted sex offender

"A 5-year-old Missouri girl, who was allegedly abducted by a convicted sex offender, has been found safe, Fox affiliate KTVI reported."

"Shelton, 45, was convicted in 1990 of kidnapping a 12-year-old girl in Fort Hood, Texas, KTVI reported. He also was found guilty of rape, attempted kidnapping and two counts of sodomy, according to the station."
I understand about doing time and paying for your crime, but the recidivism rate among sex offenders is so high, it makes me question if we should rethink our laws surrounding these types of crimes. What do you think?

Quote:
Recidivism Among Sex Offenders

"Recidivism among sex offenders is quite high, according to the United States Department of Justice. Although not all sex offenders reoffend, they are four times more likely than a criminal convicted of robbery, murder, assault or any other charge."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2012, 10:51 PM

1,460 posts, read 2,808,424 times
I think the death penalty is in order. Castration might work as well.

I advocate punishing them with the most severe sentences possible. I think they are worse than a murderer. Worse I say.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:58 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,224,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exaday View Post
I think the death penalty is in order. Castration might work as well.

I advocate punishing them with the most severe sentences possible. I think they are worse than a murderer. Worse I say.
I don't think it's really about "sex" to them. I think it's more about having ultimate power. For that reason, I don't know if castration would work.

At the very least, I don't think these slimeballs should ever be let out. I'm all for giving them an extra bar of soap, putting them away for life and letting the other prisoners take care of them.

Old 10-24-2012, 11:12 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,304,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
At the very least, I don't think these slimeballs should ever be let out. I'm all for giving them an extra bar of soap, putting them away for life and letting the other prisoners take care of them.
I feel the same way about people who speed.

Their recidivism rate is through the roof

Old 10-25-2012, 09:18 AM

679 posts, read 614,863 times
The four times rate for recidivism is a bit misleading. The recidivism rate for sex offenders to commit another sex offense is 5.3% while the rate for any non-sex offender criminal to commit a sex offense is 1.3%.

I imagine that if you took burglary for instance and looked at the recidivism rate for people that committed burglary, committing it again it would be higher than all non-burglary criminals committing an act of burglary later in life

When you look at the recidivism rate for sex offenders and non-sex offenders committing any crime, the sex offenders actually have a lower rate. While non-sex offenders have a 68% chance of later committing another offense, sex offenders only have a 43% chance.

So while yes you do have repeat offenders and yes this is an issue, I think it is being misrepresented some.

Old 10-25-2012, 09:47 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,620,776 times
I think that penalties for those who are clearly victimizing children should be increased, but there needs to be greater distinction and leniency for acts that happen within the 'gray area' ages.

I have two friends who are both registered sex offenders. The first, at the age of 19 unknowingly hooked up with a 15 year old girl at a college party. Sexual acts happened, but no actual intercourse, but my friend was convicted and spent 6 months in jail, had a hard time finding work and eventually divorced and had difficulty getting any custody of his children.

The second was someone I met after his release from jail. He was 18 and had sex with a 15 year old, which is basically a senior dating a freshman in high school. He spent two years in jail for this act.

These laws simply need to be less Draconian so that young people who both consented to these acts aren't punished because one of them is two years older than the other, or so that a young person's life isn't forever tainted because of poor judgement or an honest mistake.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:49 AM

1,909 posts, read 2,538,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eborg View Post
The four times rate for recidivism is a bit misleading. The recidivism rate for sex offenders to commit another sex offense is 5.3% while the rate for any non-sex offender criminal to commit a sex offense is 1.3%.

I imagine that if you took burglary for instance and looked at the recidivism rate for people that committed burglary, committing it again it would be higher than all non-burglary criminals committing an act of burglary later in life

When you look at the recidivism rate for sex offenders and non-sex offenders committing any crime, the sex offenders actually have a lower rate. While non-sex offenders have a 68% chance of later committing another offense, sex offenders only have a 43% chance.

So while yes you do have repeat offenders and yes this is an issue, I think it is being misrepresented some.
I have a brother who is in a state hospital (instead of prison) for child molestation. His crime was to fondle a little boy and have the boy do the same. Disgusting, but rather tame.
My brother got 8 years.
That was in 1981.
He is still in the state hospital today!
I hope he stays there for the rest of his life!
Why? He openly admits to wanting to do the same thing when/if he gets out. He also says he wants to do worse. Of course, all his phone conversations are recorded and the staff knows what he is saying.
People like this should be locked up for life.
Those 18 and 19 year olds that have sex with a teen under 18 should NOT be locked up at all, nor should they have to register as a sex offender.

Our laws need to be fixed so that true sex offenders are punished and "young lovers" are left alone.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:53 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,585,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
I feel the same way about people who speed.

Their recidivism rate is through the roof
Yes - no difference between the two...

Old 10-25-2012, 11:00 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
I think that penalties for those who are clearly victimizing children should be increased, but there needs to be greater distinction and leniency for acts that happen within the 'gray area' ages.

I have two friends who are both registered sex offenders. The first, at the age of 19 unknowingly hooked up with a 15 year old girl at a college party. Sexual acts happened, but no actual intercourse, but my friend was convicted and spent 6 months in jail, had a hard time finding work and eventually divorced and had difficulty getting any custody of his children.

The second was someone I met after his release from jail. He was 18 and had sex with a 15 year old, which is basically a senior dating a freshman in high school. He spent two years in jail for this act.

These laws simply need to be less Draconian so that young people who both consented to these acts aren't punished because one of them is two years older than the other, or so that a young person's life isn't forever tainted because of poor judgement or an honest mistake.

I think pedophiles should be shot! PERIOD! Harsh? Yes. But I have a huge problem when it comes to someone messing with children. And if not, then they need to be locked up for the rest of their lives with absolutely no chance of getting out. I'm all for second chances for a lot of things, but not in the case when there is a rape, or child molestation! As to greater distinction and leniency in the instance where the 19 yr old unknowingly had sex with a 15 yr old, I DEFINITELY have to agree with you, as well as the case with the 18 yr old and the 15 yr old. The other thing is nowadays you can be labeled a sex offender for simply taking a p*** outside, or harmlessly mooning someone. In my book that is NOT being a sexual offender. Rape, incest, pedophilia on the other hand... absolutely are sexual offenses and should be dealt with harshly.

Old 10-25-2012, 11:09 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,592,213 times
The sex laws need to differentiate much better.

An 18 year old banging a 16 year old should never even have a ticket involved. I would probably say -3 for over age 18 and -4 for under 18 age should not be considered a crime.

People are going to do the deed. It is in your genes. Abstinance is a dream.

Rapists, pedos... sure. I say life of 10 hours a day 7 days a week labor in a work camp should do the trick nicely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies