Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2012, 07:25 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Unfortunately, marriage needs to be a government sanctioned event because not all people act ethically when (a) the marriage dissolves or (b) in the act of marriage (ie - marrying minors or cats). So, we need to have laws to protect people and freedom.
You can have laws protecting all parties without giving government the power to tell us who we can marry.

Old 10-29-2012, 07:44 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times
[quote=Harrier;26709397] it was ordained by God.

QUOTE]

If your God does indeed exist ( and I am genuinely open to proof ) then let him/her deal with the offenders who affront his/her dignity so much. I am fairly sure any supernatural being is big and powerful enough to punish those who trespass against him/her.

Humans intervention is not required. Why do believers always feel they have to become the Police force for their deities. The Wrath of God should surely be pretty obvious and divine retribution swift and decisive every time anyone breaks the laws ordained by him/her.

So far I have seen plenty of happy, healthy Gay people living productive lives and no sign of a deity smiting them....

Plenty of really evil doers , dictators, murderers, rapists, paedophiles, human traffickers also not being punished oddly enough. Seems a rather passive agressive deity expecting humans to do his/her job. God really does not seem to care a great deal about whether you are good or evil. Perhaps because he/she was created out of a fevered human over active imagination and desire to explain concepts too hard to deal with a the time and based on fear and ignorance.

Fortunately we now possess a little more understanding of our world, a little bit more knowledge, grasp of science and physics and an comprehension of basic principles of our universe and many of us are gradually turning to common sense, logic and reason and away from fairy tales and superstition.

If your God so objects to Homosexuality then let him/her deal with it and execute punishment and pass judgement. Or do you presume to take his/her place and turn into God too ?

Perhaps if he/she can't be bothered to intervene he is not quite as offended as you believe him/her to be.... Or simply does not exist.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:16 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
You can have laws protecting all parties without giving government the power to tell us who we can marry.
How?

The government doesn't tell us who to marry. The government, elected by US, institutes laws to protect those who cannot consent - minors, animals and others unable to speak for themselves.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:18 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,678,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Why would anyone want to?
For the tax breaks and other perks.

Old 10-29-2012, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Why would anyone want to?
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
For the tax breaks and other perks.
Don't forget, they just want to flash their lifestyle choices in everyone's faces and push their incestuous agenda!

Old 10-29-2012, 12:05 PM

4,373 posts, read 3,228,757 times
Back to the Ken's (that's the OP for those slow of mind) original question:

If you both are willing to give consent, can sign a contract without assistance, and are of sound mind and judgment, then go for it!

Old 10-29-2012, 12:24 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Seriously?

I'd say a lot of those 'prophets' of yours had schizophrenia or other mental health issues.
Schizophrenia is a 19th century invention meant to dismiss the reality of demons.

It also helps manufacturers of drugs - and needlessly gets people hooked on chemicals - prescribed by the non-medical practicers of "psychiatry"..

http://www.antipsychiatry.org/abolish.htm

Old 10-29-2012, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Schizophrenia is a 19th century invention meant to dismiss the reality of demons.

It also helps manufacturers of drugs - and needlessly gets people hooked on chemicals - prescribed by the non-medical practicers of "psychiatry"..

Why Psychiatry Should Be Abolished as a Medical Specialty
PLEASE tell me you are kidding

Old 10-29-2012, 12:33 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,633,406 times
No time to read all the posts right now. I have a middle aged child who has been in a monogamous relationship for 20 years with a SSP. They could care less about the word "marriage" and only want some kind of civil union protection. I agree. G/L's have killed their chances of gaining some equality by sticking with the "marriage" word.

My child is currently facing a disability that will probably cause her to lose her job in the end. She cannot be picked up on her partners insurance, though all their house, cars, bank accounts, etc, etc, are comingled. What a shame.

The OP poses a question that I have pondered many times. MOrally, I am against it but, I see the arguments.

Old 10-29-2012, 12:33 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post
Off topic.

Get back on topic before the mods pop in and lock the thread.

Thanks.
Locking this thread might not be a bad thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies