Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 02:59 PM

23,655 posts, read 17,584,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
No thats the kind of thing people use when the premise of the thread is utterly ridiculous. Comparing candy to money is absolute horse ****.

How did you teach your kids about economics----or did you even teach them at all? Schools use many things like this example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
Just one question to conservatives; does your party want to eliminate taxes? That's all I'm asking. Redistribution (aka taxation) of wealth isn't anything new to America, in fact it was much higher in the past. Just because I, a liberal, believe that someone such as Mitt Romney should not be paying 13% in taxes doesn't mean I want him taxed at 99%. I think 33% would be far better, and efficient. I've said in the past plenty of times that the size of welfare system needs to be decreased, but that's only because I've seen many cases of welfare fraud, those who need it should get it. You guys seem to not want redistribution in any way, shape, or form and I just can't believe anyone would want a system like that.

Back to the candy, what if I dressed up and was running around going to everyone's homes in a neighborhood demanding all of their candy, leaving your children without any candy and I don't plan on giving any back out. Would you guys simply say "Well, son that man deserved that candy. He had the stamina to run around and demand the candy so its all his, and he doesn't need to give you any because you weren't fast enough to get it before him" or would you demand some of the candy from him? And what if I somehow knew your children and I still asked them for candy although I knew they have little to no candy? And they ask me for candy and I give them none still. Essentially that's what you guys seem to want, those whom are wealthy or even middle-class shouldn't redistribute any of their cash because they earned it. While I understand that you may not want to do it (hell I even hate paying taxes), someone has to help these people out. Really what you guys seem to want is a capitalist caste system, I'm not even sure if that's a real term but it seems like that's what you want.

New Term: Capitalist Caste System: The ability to become wealthy only by those whom you know or family with. Government has limited control of redistribution or taxation. Limited to zero taxes on the wealthy to assist them on creating jobs for peasants which only will keep the wealthy net worth/income increasing dramatically. To pay for government duties, the peasants, poor, servants, etc are taxed 70% to assist the wealthy on creating jobs. No ability to climb out of being poor and/or middle class.

How about a fair system with a simple tax code. Is that so hard to do? Seems our country has done a pretty good job so far being the richest and most powerful system around. The problems come in when we get government trickle down like Romney says. Our country is the first there when any other country needs assistance. Problem is the money is running out. No one pays attention to that little problem with the Dems in charge of borrowing us into bankruptcy. How about fiscal responsibility or do you want your kids to inherit this mess?

Old 11-02-2012, 03:10 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,513,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
How about a fair system with a simple tax code. Is that so hard to do? Seems our country has done a pretty good job so far being the richest and most powerful system around. The problems come in when we get government trickle down like Romney says. Our country is the first there when any other country needs assistance. Problem is the money is running out. No one pays attention to that little problem with the Dems in charge of borrowing us into bankruptcy. How about fiscal responsibility or do you want your kids to inherit this mess?
I'm under the impression you haven't studied history.

Old 11-02-2012, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
Why? Do you know of a system that has spent itself into prosperity, taxed it's people to death and lived to tell about it?

Old 11-02-2012, 03:29 PM

19,023 posts, read 26,043,171 times
Quote:
Your tax dollars don't pay for couch-surfing, but they do help pay for homeless shelters, so feel free to crash there.
I think if it comes to it I will pass on that.... I live right next to the White Mtns National Forest and have lived in that before a year.

It was one of those hurt on the job things cost me a life, and while I rebuilt myself alone, I ate what I pleased when I pleased and didn't bother anyone over taxes or shelters. But now I understand better what wealth redistribution is I want to know when we can start with Obama's since he should be the first good example?

Or is it on the conserves' wealth that should be redistributed?

What I want is simple..... When is barack going to spread his personal wealth around to the people; as i for sure want my share if I am supposed to share back. I want to know it is his income earnings I receive personally.

Old 11-02-2012, 03:31 PM

19,023 posts, read 26,043,171 times
Quote:
History? When has any Nation ever spent itself into prosperity? Answer her question if you can...

I gotta read this myself...........

Old 11-02-2012, 03:35 PM

I loved the boy that was holding up for the little kid----"That's his candy, you can't take his candy." LOL, Kids, you gotta love them.

Old 11-02-2012, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
I think if it comes to it I will pass on that.... I live right next to the White Mtns National Forest and have lived in that before a year.

It was one of those hurt on the job things cost me a life, and while I rebuilt myself alone, I ate what I pleased when I pleased and didn't bother anyone over taxes or shelters. But now I understand better what wealth redistribution is I want to know when we can start with Obama's since he should be the first good example?

Or is it on the conserves' wealth that should be redistributed?

What I want is simple..... When is barack going to spread his personal wealth around to the people; as i for sure want my share if I am supposed to share back. I want to know it is his income earnings I receive personally.
Has the public ever found out what happened to the Nobel Peace Prize money he was given? You know for being so peaceful and dropping drones on people to kill them and those around them?

Old 11-02-2012, 03:42 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,376,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
When is barack going to spread his personal wealth around to the people
You doubt that presidents pay taxes?

Old 11-02-2012, 03:43 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,513,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Why? Do you know of a system that has spent itself into prosperity, taxed it's people to death and lived to tell about it?
The U.S., for one.

Let's start at the grand-daddy: 1920, high taxes and job growth. Tax rates were cut, income inequality rapidly increases, depression ensues.
The 1930s was comprised mostly of government spending, high taxes, and social programs--all of which lead to increasing economic growth.
Up to world-war II, where we basically buried ourselves in more debt than your little head could probably believe thanks to having to right multiple fronts on a grand sacle. War is expensive. Someones should have told George.
Followed by the golden-age of the U.S.--the 1950s, aided notably by everyone else having to recover from war (where as the U.S. was fairly pristine).
The 1960s see tax-rates drop dramatically, economic activity lows, and we enter the 70s.
Economy slows around the 1970s as tax-cuts begin to get leveled. Economy recedes, income inequality grows. Recession. Gas-shortages. All of that coming back to you now?
"Big Spenders" Bush I and Clinton reinvest in economy, change tax rates, Clinton ends up with positive budget. Economy chugs ahead.
Enter Bush II. Two wars, cut taxes, rapidly growing income disparity. Depression.
Enter Obama. 1.5 wars, continued tax-cuts, increasing income disparity, lackluster almost non-existent growth.

The wealthy are flush with cash. They're not consumers, they don't generate demand anywhere near the level as "everyone else." Constantly cutting taxes on the wealthy, implementing supply-side economic policies, will never work when you're facing demand problems, which require demand-side policies. One of the best ways to do that is lower your income disparity so that the demand-base actually has money to demand things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies