Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 09:11 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,242,247 times

Advertisements

Showing results 1 - 10 of 2324 for thomas sowell

ouch!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2012, 09:13 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,946,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
That's fine. I happen to prefer more liberty even if it isn't explicitly guaranteed by the Constitution; that is the position generally described (including by Judge Bork, who doesn't share it) as "libertarian."
I prefer we do not have activist judges, even if they agree with my point of view on what the law "should" be.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:16 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,627,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Have you read any of his books? Yes, Sowell does dummy himself down for the mainstream audience. There are no mainstream intellectuals because the vast majority of Americans prefer the Franken and Hannitty propaganda to the writings of those with Phds.

I guess I am from an earlier age when Galbraith and Friedman could make the bestsellers list. Sowell's books are quite impressive, his newspaper articles less so. Sowell is just maximizing his income; sound economics on his part.

William Buckley's show would not have been renewed for a second season in the current environment.
I couldn't agree with you more. But the fact is that one cannot be both a pundit and a public intellectual. They are antithetical. In taking on the role of pundit, Sowell has sacrificed what was once his clear position as a public intellectual. Really a shame.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:16 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,513,448 times
Quote:
I prefer we do not have activist judges, even if they agree with my point of view on what the law "should" be.
That's your prerogative. But it is mere confusion to call an unswerving adherence to a 1787 Constitutional interpretation "libertarian", and Judge Bork at least is not confused about this. He knows he's not a libertarian. He dislikes libertarians. He takes pains to say so.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
I couldn't agree with you more. But the fact is that one cannot be both a pundit and a public intellectual. They are antithetical. In taking on the role of pundit, Sowell has sacrificed what was once his clear position as a public intellectual. Really a shame.
I can see your point there. For people like myself, who have never seen him on Fox, his work is pretty impressive.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:22 PM

Quote:
That's your prerogative. But it is mere confusion to call an unswerving adherence to a 1787 Constitutional interpretation "libertarian", and Judge Bork at least is not confused about this. He knows he's not a libertarian. He dislikes libertarians. He takes pains to say so.
A judges role is to give an impartial reading of the law. Bork comes closer than any judge I know to doing this.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:44 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,513,448 times
Quote:
A judges role is to give an impartial reading of the law. Bork comes closer than any judge I know to doing this.
I believe in contrast, with Justice Douglas, that "The Constitution is not neutral. It was designed to take the government off the backs of people."

Old 11-03-2012, 10:09 PM

5,652 posts, read 7,012,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
I find it kind of funny that you mention Paul and Perot in reference to Sowell's social stances and brought up abortion and drugs. Funny because Perot was pro-choice and wanted to expand the War on Drugs and Paul is pro-life and open to the legalization of drugs.

I don't mean that as a jab against you. I just found the politicians and specific stances to be funny.

Another good example of a conservative intellectual (although one who was also very libertarian leaning) was William F. Buckley.
True. I was thinking wider in the spirit of libertarianism and not specifics.

To Wm F Buckley, I also wonder if Tony Brown would've been around on PBS for long, if at all.

Old 11-03-2012, 10:46 PM

Quote:
I believe in contrast, with Justice Douglas, that "The Constitution is not neutral. It was designed to take the government off the backs of people."
I simply read the Constitution. To paraphrase Bork, no one studies the Constitution anymore, just the opinions.

Old 11-05-2012, 03:06 PM

4,275 posts, read 5,192,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
The main reason he isn't a mainstream intellectual is that he's not an intellectual.

He's an ideologue.
He wrote a good book on intellectuals and has a low opinion of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies