Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 03:43 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
The number one reason many do not insure their homes is they trust that the government will run to their rescue and give them a new home if they didn't bother with insurance.
The number one reason isn't that people don't insure their homes, most folks have home owners insurance.

The trouble is, they don't understand that flood insurance is quite a separate issue for many home owners insurance policy.

Has little to nothing to do with "trusting the government".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 03:47 PM

45,411 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Flood insurance is required by mortgagers if the house is in the flood prone area. So the statement that "people don't know they need it" isn't exactly accurate. It is true that some drop it once the mortgage is paid off. I know several people who have done so. All have had reason to regret their decision.

I was on the edge of the high impact zone (that may change with the new maps) so did not buy flood insurance. If my house is now in the zone I will.

Old 11-04-2012, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Flood insurance is required by mortgagers if the house is in the flood prone area. So the statement that "people don't know they need it" isn't exactly accurate. It is true that some drop it once the mortgage is paid off. I know several people who have done so. All have had reason to regret their decision.

I was on the edge of the high impact zone (that may change with the new maps) so did not buy flood insurance. If my house is now in the zone I will.
The issue is that New York isn't considered a flood prone area. But I bet that will start to change.

Old 11-04-2012, 03:53 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,419,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
The number one reason isn't that people don't insure their homes, most folks have home owners insurance.

The trouble is, they don't understand that flood insurance is quite a separate issue for many home owners insurance policy.

Has little to nothing to do with "trusting the government".
Last year after the Hurricane they spent public dollars in a marketing campaign to educate people about the difference.

In the days leading up to Hurricane Sandy there were news reports warning people about the difference.

And I thought all those blue state liberals were smarter and had higher IQ's.

Old 11-04-2012, 03:59 PM

45,411 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
The issue is that New York isn't considered a flood prone area. But I bet that will start to change.
Maybe not. Insuring against flash floods that happen once in a 1000 or 5000 or 10000 years are a waste of money. New York has always been recognized as at risk for hurricanes/tropical storms but not necessarily flood prone. What the new maps will show I haven't a clue.

Old 11-04-2012, 04:03 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Last year after the Hurricane they spent public dollars in a marketing campaign to educate people about the difference.

In the days leading up to Hurricane Sandy there were news reports warning people about the difference.

And I thought all those blue state liberals were smarter and had higher IQ's.
They didn't worry..big government will come in and save the day.

Old 11-04-2012, 04:56 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,419,987 times
Actually NY has always been considered a danger zone. Go back a couple years and find the story in National Geographic on the subject. If I remember right, a Cat 4 direct hit would flood the entire region.

There are also history reports (lore is probably a better word) that the natives were aware of the dangers and avoided the area. According to reports there was a period of intense storms in the region. They've run soil analysis on the historical tidal surges and they were huge. Of course there wasn't any development to absorb the force; that said, based on the models the region has a history of Cat 4/5 storms.

Old 11-04-2012, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Actually NY has always been considered a danger zone. Go back a couple years and find the story in National Geographic on the subject. If I remember right, a Cat 4 direct hit would flood the entire region.

There are also history reports (lore is probably a better word) that the natives were aware of the dangers and avoided the area. According to reports there was a period of intense storms in the region. They've run soil analysis on the historical tidal surges and they were huge. Of course there wasn't any development to absorb the force; that said, based on the models the region has a history of Cat 4/5 storms.
Its a danger zone, as is every coastline. But the odds, and how often this happens is very very low for New York and the North East. Now, that may change with back to back hurricane years, but it wasn't a flood zone before.

Old 11-04-2012, 05:28 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times
Doesn't matter if they didn't have hurricane insurance. People along the gulf coast learned that lesson the hard way. Though they had flood insurance, it didn't count if the flood was caused by hurricane/tropical storms.
Quote:
Many Affected by Sandy Lacked Flood Coverage - WSJ.com

"But in New York City, where the threat of flooding hasn't been as obvious a threat, only 1% of housing units had the coverage. In Moonachie, N.J., which was devastated by the storm, only 21% were insured, the analysis found. That is lower than in some other cities in New Jersey—33% in Hoboken, 41% in Atlantic City, 47% in Seaside Heights and 66% in Cape May."

Average premium: $585 per year.

Let's put this in perspective. For about the price of a cup of coffee per day, or half a cell phone bill, or a few drinks and nachos at Chevys, one could purchase subsidized insurance to protect their largest asset. Last year after Hurricane Irene, the National Flood Insurance Program actually reached out to many of these same people in an effort to educate and enroll them in the program.

At some point Americans need to grow up and accept responsibility for themselves. Some of you believe that the taxpayers will not end up paying for these people. I would bet before it's all done the taxpayer will foot the bill.

Old 11-04-2012, 05:37 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times
I promise you that all those homes destroyed or damaged by the winds and storm surge will not receive a single penny from their flood insurance because it wasn't a flood. It was a storm surge from a hurricane. No hurricane insurance, no insurance check. If a tree fell on the home then the homeowners insurance may cover the damage. There are some schisters who'll try to fight against paying out arguing it's hurricane damage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies