Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 04:07 AM

272 posts, read 229,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Whites get AA? You're joking, right?
White women, yes. It's an old article from the University of Wyoming, but the information in it is still relevant today:

Quote:
What's missing from this picture? Simply that, if statistics are to be believed, affirmative action is much more a gender issue than a racial one. For it is not lower-class minorities who have most benefited from affirmative action legislation, but middle-class white women.

Affirmative Action

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 06:04 AM

3,426 posts, read 8,908,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
White Hispanics get AA sometimes. Spanish last names open doors even if the kid is pasty white with blond hair and blue eyes.

What on earth are you talking about?

You really think they check last names for this?

No, when you register and/or apply they have a few boxes you can check off, so you can choose to say what race you are.

Also, many Hispanics don't have Spanish names. If you ever took a history class you should know that during the World Wars many Europeans not only imigrated to the US but also Latin America. Germans and Italians are the largest groups I can think of. I'm Hispanic and have a Jewish name but I still am able to check off the "Hispanic" box.

Also, there are Hispanics with blonde hair and blue eyes, you need to get out more.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
In the Bay area there is a strong non-white preference which is evident just by driving past any college/university, or what many think of as American employers. As a white I can assure you that from the beginning we are taught that hard work and strong ethics are what we value. Government run programs such as AA or other hand outs are not only expensive to the government taxpayer but also harm society as it breeds a mentality of the world owes them everything for free. If Asians want AA, they can apply at the local government offices but many of them already get special government funds for coming here to take our college seats and then our jobs...just look at MyVisaJob.com.

For anyone who comes here wanting AA, I think they should prove they are worthy of our country and serve in the military as so many Americans have given their lives for America. The result is the foreigners like our benefits but don't like the idea of serving our country. I think the draft just might send many of them back to their own country.

Go study engineering, mathematics, or accounting and maintain a 3.7 GPA like the rest of us "non Americans" .

Old 11-07-2012, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
But as a race, the majority do fall into poverty but not as bad as the Blacks.

HMMM...what large group of recent immigrants in the US hasn't?

The Irish?
Nope they have been poor in US as a group and discriminated against for being "not white".

Italian?
Also have been poor and discriminated against for being "not white". Many Italians didn't learn English immediately and they held Mass and other services here in Italian. Even today you will meet descendants whose family taught them the Italian langauage.

Jews?

Most of the Jewish immigrants were dirt poor and worked as peddlers. Places would hang signs saying "No Jews" or "We don't hire Jews". It was the Jews hard work and history of being city dwellers (and not rural folk, like the two above groups) that propelled the next generations into success.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectionYear View Post
Miami Hispanics are mostly Cubans, Colombians, and Venezuelans and most of them are mostly Caucasians.

What is your point? They are still Latinos.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:18 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
HMMM...what large group of recent immigrants in the US hasn't?

The Irish?
Nope they have been poor in US as a group and discriminated against for being "not white".

Italian?
Also have been poor and discriminated against for being "not white". Many Italians didn't learn English immediately and they held Mass and other services here in Italian. Even today you will meet descendants whose family taught them the Italian langauage.

Jews?

Most of the Jewish immigrants were dirt poor and worked as peddlers. Places would hang signs saying "No Jews" or "We don't hire Jews". It was the Jews hard work and history of being city dwellers (and not rural folk, like the two above groups) that propelled the next generations into success.
We didn't have AA policies back then. They had to work and overcome poverty and discrimination on their own.

Today is a different ballgame then back then.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:20 AM

6,351 posts, read 9,978,608 times
Asians DO get affirmative action...how else can you explain why this song is SO DAMN POPULAR?

PSY - GANGNAM STYLE (

Old 11-07-2012, 06:22 AM

^^^Are you implying that Hispanics would be more successful if they didn't have any "help" via AA?

These other groups certainly moved up in society after some time without AA.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:28 AM

I would just like to say as a Hispanic student, that I do not know and do not care if I get AA.

I sure as hell don't want anyone saying I go to my good college on a full scholarship because of my Hispanic family.

All I know is I applied, and got accepted. I keep a high GPA and put blood, sweat, and tears into my work. Most of my classes are mathematics related and require hours of studying a day.

A Puerto Rican woman I went to high school with was told by a caucasion girl we know that "She only got accepted at NYU because she was Puerto Rican".

AA may help us, I really don't know. I do know that the Hispanics that go to elite and 2nd/3rd tier schools are smart and hard working and have always been. Its not like they are letting C and D Hispanic students into Ivy Leagues.

I think it's more for A and B students from public high schools and inner city schools (mostly minorities) to have the same opportunity as A students from prep schools (mostly white).

If anything, its the governments way for making up for the crap public schools in this country.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:31 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,668,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Because there are more Hispanic voters than there are Asian voters.
Because Asians aren't underrepresented in universities and organizations.
Doesn't matter.

Are we groups of different countries or all Americans?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies