Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 08:30 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,446,613 times

Advertisements

I know this would never happen and I'm not sure how financially smart it would be for the nation, but what if we ended Medicare/Medicaid and had Universal Health Care instead? How would that play out?

-This is just for entertainment of course; so lets attempt to keep over-baring negativity out of this.

So let the discussions begin!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 08:40 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,676,690 times
That's the idea behind putting the squeeze on Medicare with the Obamacare taking funds away.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:45 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,226,529 times
Universal Health Care

Why we know ObamaCare is creating a disaster - - - -

Physicians per 1,000 people statistics - Countries compared - NationMaster
  • Physicians per capita
  • USA ranks 52nd - 2.3 per 1,000 people
  • Belarus has over twice as many - 4.55 per 1,000 people
  • Cuba is ranked #2 - 5.91 per 1,000 people - almost THREE TIMES as many physicians per capita as the USA. Which might explain how Cuba can provide more inexpensive health care to more people.

Any massive increase in the number of patients without an increase in trained health care professionals will result in delays, triage and rationing.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:50 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,446,613 times
I don't necessarily support ObamaCare and that's why I'd rather take Universal Health Care over ObamaCare. Yes, plenty of physicians, nurses, etc will need to be hired because of increase demand on our hospitals nation wide but is that necessarily a bad thing? Regardless the amount of physicians will need to be increased dramatically because of the Baby Boomers retiring.

Old 11-05-2012, 09:07 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,676,690 times
Doctors would then be employees of the Federal Government.

Old 11-05-2012, 09:12 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,486,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
I know this would never happen and I'm not sure how financially smart it would be for the nation, but what if we ended Medicare/Medicaid and had Universal Health Care instead? How would that play out?

-This is just for entertainment of course; so lets attempt to keep over-baring negativity out of this.

$13,000 x 313,000,000 = $4,069,000,000,000

That's how it would play out every year time and time again, for about two years when your entire economy collapsed and you take a real quick trip on a "teleporter" straight to 4th world status.

In case you don't know what 4th world status is it's a status that makes 1980's Somalia look desirable.

Old 11-05-2012, 09:32 PM

781 posts, read 1,197,355 times
Quote:

Other countries are capable of doing it, I don't see why we can't offer a similar program over time...

We spend a larger percentage of our GDP on healthcare that any other industrialized country with our current system, yet still manage to boast poorer health outcomes on a series of measures (i.e., life expectancy, infant mortality), when compared to other countries spending much less overall on healthcare.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:03 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,995,865 times
Quote:

Employer-based healthcare insurance is a giant millstone hung on busiesses neck. American businesses have to scrape up hundreds of billions of dollars. French, Germans, and Japanese have no health costs unless they chose to privide a concierge medical team for their senior executives. Health care costs were the single largest factor that drove GM and Chrystler into banckruptcy. So the single best gift we could give busiess of all sizes is to take this off their hands.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:11 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,995,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Universal Health Care

Why we know ObamaCare is creating a disaster - - - -

Physicians per 1,000 people statistics - Countries compared - NationMaster
  • Physicians per capita
  • USA ranks 52nd - 2.3 per 1,000 people
  • Belarus has over twice as many - 4.55 per 1,000 people
  • Cuba is ranked #2 - 5.91 per 1,000 people - almost THREE TIMES as many physicians per capita as the USA. Which might explain how Cuba can provide more inexpensive health care to more people.
Any massive increase in the number of patients without an increase in trained health care professionals will result in delays, triage and rationing.

You need to be careful, doctors in Cuba or Belarus are often unable to get a medical license in the USA due to unfamiliarity with the level of medical practice here and the fact they do not have a medical degree recognized in the USA. Once it sinks in they take a low wage job because they have to survive. Thank the AMA and State Medical Licensing Boards!

Old 11-05-2012, 10:26 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,854,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
Employer-based healthcare insurance is a giant millstone hung on busiesses neck. American businesses have to scrape up hundreds of billions of dollars. French, Germans, and Japanese have no health costs unless they chose to privide a concierge medical team for their senior executives. Health care costs were the single largest factor that drove GM and Chrystler into banckruptcy. So the single best gift we could give busiess of all sizes is to take this off their hands.
I think in at least some of those countries businesses pay a tax for health care. That's still better, IMO, than our system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies