Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 11:30 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,618,914 times

Advertisements

Just a fun article when Reuters visited the rural areas:

The Reuters gang apparently drove their Chevy pickup for months through the rural hinterlands of the South, parked it at Waffle Houses and Flying J's in eleven states and asked over 8500 families making under $55,000 per year who they'd be inclined to vote for and why. The results were surprising. Nearly 4 out of 10 Bible Belters say Romney's money makes him even less trustworthy than the black guy:
Reuters/Ipsos polling data compiled over the past several months shows that, across the Bible Belt, 38 percent of these voters said they would be less likely to vote for a candidate who is "very wealthy" than one who isn't. This is well above the 20 percent who said they would be less likely to vote for an African-American.

Several of those interviewed in Lynchburg were devotees of the TV series "Big Love" and "Sister Wives," about polygamous Mormon families. They were unaware that the Mormon Church long ago renounced polygamy.
"Mormons don't believe like we believe," said Dianna McCullough, a retired factory worker, as she tossed salad in a Tree of Life Ministries soup kitchen. "Like the wives -- Romney's probably got more than one."

You can even start to feel a little bit of sympathy for poor Mitt, trying his darndest in his natty blue blazer and khakis to reach these people who he simply cannot afford to lose. As the article notes, given President Obama's outperformance with minorities, Romney needs a minimum of 60% of the white vote.
Now before anyone thinks I'm disrespecting any particular class or geographic area, I will jump to claim immunity. One-half of my entire family is Southern, as is my wife's family. They're cut from the same socioeconomic cloth as these folks, and most of them are Democrats.
But I already know who they're voting for.

Daily Kos: Hilarity from the GOP Heartland

poor ro-money. he cannot relate to 99% of Americans

Last edited by dreamofmonterey; 11-06-2012 at 11:44 AM..

Old 11-06-2012, 11:36 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,476,088 times
Quote:
Baptist, former Bush-voting Sheryl Harris out of Lynchburg, Virginia, remains convinced that President Obama is a secret Muslim. But, hot damn, she does not like that Romney fellow:
"Romney's going to help the upper class," said Harris, who earns $28,000 a year as activities director of a Lynchburg senior center. "He doesn't know everyday people, except maybe the person who cleans his house." She'll vote for Obama, she said: "At least he wasn't brought up filthy rich."

Old 11-06-2012, 11:37 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,295,161 times
Where can I get a job driving around for months bothering people?

Old 11-06-2012, 12:52 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,252,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
where can i get a job driving around for months bothering people?
cnn

Old 11-06-2012, 12:53 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,252,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post

The Reuters gang apparently drove their Chevy pickup for months through the rural hinterlands of the South, parked it at Waffle Houses and Flying J's in eleven states and asked over 8500 families making under $55,000 per year who they'd be inclined to vote for and why. The results were surprising. Nearly 4 out of 10 Bible Belters say Romney's money makes him even less trustworthy than the black guy:
Reuters/Ipsos polling data compiled over the past several months shows that, across the Bible Belt, 38 percent of these voters said they would be less likely to vote for a candidate who is "very wealthy" than one who isn't. This is well above the 20 percent who said they would be less likely to vote for an African-American.

Several of those interviewed in Lynchburg were devotees of the TV series "Big Love" and "Sister Wives," about polygamous Mormon families. They were unaware that the Mormon Church long ago renounced polygamy.
"Mormons don't believe like we believe," said Dianna McCullough, a retired factory worker, as she tossed salad in a Tree of Life Ministries soup kitchen. "Like the wives -- Romney's probably got more than one."

You can even start to feel a little bit of sympathy for poor Mitt, trying his darndest in his natty blue blazer and khakis to reach these people who he simply cannot afford to lose. As the article notes, given President Obama's outperformance with minorities, Romney needs a minimum of 60% of the white vote.
Now before anyone thinks I'm disrespecting any particular class or geographic area, I will jump to claim immunity. One-half of my entire family is Southern, as is my wife's family. They're cut from the same socioeconomic cloth as these folks, and most of them are Democrats.

Oh cheeze, and this is modern America? Houston, we have a problem.

Old 11-06-2012, 12:55 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,155,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Why do you hate rich people? Why can't you make yourself a handsome living through innovation and business accumen? Where did you fail in life? No self-loving individual would conjure up a hatred of money if they actually had any. So what's the malfunction?

Your hatred is palpable. It has to come from somewhere.

Old 11-06-2012, 12:56 PM

15,896 posts, read 12,006,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Where can I get a job driving around for months bothering people?

Seriously.

And when you find out. Count me in.

Old 11-06-2012, 12:56 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,476,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Why do you hate rich people? Why can't you make yourself a handsome living through innovation and business accumen? Where did you fail in life? No self-loving individual would conjure up a hatred of money if they actually had any. So what's the malfunction?

Your hatred is palpable. It has to come from somewhere.
Please point out where I've ever said that I hate rich people.

Old 11-06-2012, 12:57 PM

59,277 posts, read 27,446,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post

I'd be willing to bet most of those don't know Obama is worth over $10 million.

I wonder what their answers would be IF they knew.

Old 11-06-2012, 01:00 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,227,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
cnn
Even better would be to work for FOX. If you don't like what they've said you can just make stuff up to suit your purpose and no one will notice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies