Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 12:22 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,477,048 times

Advertisements

For instance, he thinks it would be good to “resuscitate the idea that a man with a low-paying menial job is still a respectable member of his community, whereas an adult male who does not have a job and isn’t looking for one is a bum.”

Author blames values, not economy - Toledo Blade
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 12:39 AM

20,127 posts, read 16,173,562 times
He isn't wrong, but it applies to all races, not just whites.

Old 11-07-2012, 04:16 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,919,106 times
With the rotten economy yes it is true almost any job is a status symbol. But how long can you expect someone to go on looking for a job without finding one? Two years, three? I assume he is giving a pass to someone who gives up after finally aging into retirement.

Old 11-07-2012, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
With the rotten economy yes it is true almost any job is a status symbol. But how long can you expect someone to go on looking for a job without finding one? Two years, three? I assume he is giving a pass to someone who gives up after finally aging into retirement.

Personally I prefer Beechwood aging.

Old 11-07-2012, 07:45 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,180,454 times
Yes, Charles Murray is correct. No Shame in My Game is a good book that talks to this.

Old 05-29-2013, 06:19 PM

4 posts, read 3,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
He isn't wrong, but it applies to all races, not just whites.
He is wrong: for all races! He needs to Read Bell Hooks take on America! Did you folks ever realize that the reason you're losing everything is that your whole statistical reasoning is based on lies. From the Welfare statistics, to the statistics on education, you have manipulated data so much you actually believe the drivel! When whites failed the ISTAT, you invented the ACT, When they caught you cheating, you invented the SAT! When you got caught trying to force patriarchy on the descendants of superwomen, you invented freud and Monyihan. Thank God for Cornel West and Bell Hooks who gave us enough truth to save ourselves. Now you want to make more white women victims of this misguided nonsense!?
GD! No wonder your race is dying. Maybe it is high time you built yourselves a whites married only enclave! I bet we will find quite a few sensible white women who won't set foot in it! We black women have already given the"black muslims" the boot!

Old 05-29-2013, 07:51 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,766,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneedge View Post
He is wrong: for all races! He needs to Read Bell Hooks take on America! Did you folks ever realize that the reason you're losing everything is that your whole statistical reasoning is based on lies. From the Welfare statistics, to the statistics on education, you have manipulated data so much you actually believe the drivel! When whites failed the ISTAT, you invented the ACT, When they caught you cheating, you invented the SAT! When you got caught trying to force patriarchy on the descendants of superwomen, you invented freud and Monyihan. Thank God for Cornel West and Bell Hooks who gave us enough truth to save ourselves. Now you want to make more white women victims of this misguided nonsense!?
GD! No wonder your race is dying. Maybe it is high time you built yourselves a whites married only enclave! I bet we will find quite a few sensible white women who won't set foot in it! We black women have already given the"black muslims" the boot!
I think there may be something interesting here, though I can only guess at what you are talking about. Are you promoting black single motherhood as the ideal model? How would Cornell West or Bell Hooks critique Murray on this subject?

Old 05-29-2013, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
I think there may be something interesting here, though I can only guess at what you are talking about. Are you promoting black single motherhood as the ideal model? How would Cornell West or Bell Hooks critique Murray on this subject?

As a burger flipper, I think there's something very interesting here and I will undertake some research.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:29 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,073,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneedge View Post
Um, the SAT came before the ACT... Although you strike me as the type that doesn't let facts get in the way of your opinion.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:48 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,768,347 times
No shame in a hard day's work. I always enjoyed the physicality of hard, menial jobs (when I was young). My biggest beef with it was the low pay and the stupid conversations. I recall building a fence with a guy who spent all day everyday bragging about his sexual conquests. It got old after about 5 minutes, the next few months became torture. Not everyone is like that though. I had a lot of fun working with field crews doing trail and watershed work. There is no shame in doing physical work. Not everyone is going to be a doctor, lawyer, scientist, or software engineer, so why feel bad about it. Find something you can learn to do well, and do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies