Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2012, 06:22 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
I've seen it once but the food stamps card was facing me and it said "Lone Star" which I knew was food stamps. I'm sorry I have this thing called pride and I would die before I used food stamps. My dignity and honor means more than my life.
Just out of curiosity.... What's the longest you've ever gone hungry? Not, "Gosh, I missed dinner and I'm hungry". I'm talking about go-to-bed-and-cry-because-your-stomach-hurts-and-it-has-for-a-week hungry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 06:22 PM

8,893 posts, read 5,371,263 times
Are these people spying wearing signs identifying themselves as Republicans?

Old 11-07-2012, 06:24 PM

30,354 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
ROFL!! I have no problem buying things at dollar stores, but it's frequently a false economy, being either such a poor quality that you must use extravagant quantities to get the job done, or actually being more expensive per unit than other stores. A good middle ground for me is Target's Up & Up store brand, especially in the feminine section. The really cheap ones are awful, but Target's are as good or better than store brand.
Yeah, I get that - which is why I only buy certain things there, like hand soap, dog toys (since he destroys them in 5 minutes regardless), paper towels, etc. I'm still a snob about other items, since as you said, the quantity need increases as the quality decreases. My mother always said "you get what you pay for," and usually that is true!

Old 11-07-2012, 06:26 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,959,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
However, some people don't have an issue with getting things correct on the first go. Your example is terrible. Unlike food stamps which is a reliable source and will work nationwide. The free lawyer may not be any good and may not give a rat's tail. If you're a gambling man then go for it. If you are incapable of comprehending my point then that is a personal problem.

Smart people realize what direction they are heading into (before getting there) and can correctly adjust to stabilize themselves. I lost a decent amount of money during the global financial crisis. Yet, I never had to go on food stamps. Made readjustments and made changes because I knew I was going to lose money. I didn't lose nearly as much money and I was able to recover my side business quite quickly. Eventually, I have even more than I had in total than going in prior to realignment. People who take pride in themselves to the point that they will find a way to get out of trouble instead of wallow in it and expect pity. The strong will survive and the weak will die. That is the way of natural selection.
It's starting to get boring. It's obvious that you are a kid or an immature adult who hasn't experience life.

No body cares if you lost money but it's apparent that you aren't intelligent enough to be aware that there are many socio strata in this country and those that inhabit those various levels may have a different manner in which to feed themselves. Then you attempt to change the narrative by claiming people "wallow" in pity. That was completely asinine and had nothing to do with the topic.

People like you are sad mainly because you lack the ability to see the world as it is versus what you think it should be.

It really goes back to the idiotic comment that one would allow pride to kill them.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:27 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Just out of curiosity.... What's the longest you've ever gone hungry? Not, "Gosh, I missed dinner and I'm hungry". I'm talking about go-to-bed-and-cry-because-your-stomach-hurts-and-it-has-for-a-week hungry.
After the third day, the urgency of the hunger pangs actually diminishes. By the end of the second week, you barely remember what it felt like to have food in your stomach.

At least, that was my personal experience. I wouldn't recommend it for my worst enemy. Hungry people are capable of desperate measures. I would not like to think what would happen if we as a nation did away with the food stamp program and had packs of starved hopeless people roaming the alleys and streets foraging for food.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:29 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,695,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
A) You lack imagination and creativity

B) You are pure chicken to answer

C) Both

Gotcha

You'd let your children die.
A) It's not realistic to me in anyway. I'm not very creative either in that respect but it's not realistic in anyway. Chicken is the last thing I am. I'm probably one of most needlessly harsh posters out there or maybe not. I'm not keeping track.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:31 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,959,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
After the third day, the urgency of the hunger pangs actually diminishes. By the end of the second week, you barely remember what it felt like to have food in your stomach.

At least, that was my personal experience. I wouldn't recommend it for my worst enemy. Hungry people are capable of desperate measures. I would not like to think what would happen if we as a nation did away with the food stamp program and had packs of starved hopeless people roaming the alleys and streets foraging for food.
Some fools believe that they would just walk with pride and dignity until they painlessly dropped dead.

I have been to some third world countries, pride and dignity against hunger is like me trying to blow out a forest fire.

Too many Americans are down right stupid, I only hope they will never truly experience hunger.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:31 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,695,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I told myself I would never go through it again. You never heard of Hurricane Andrew?

Old 11-07-2012, 06:33 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,803,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
Are these people spying wearing signs identifying themselves as Republicans?
They don't have to; everybody knows only Republicans
want to deny the needy their candy bars.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:39 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redberry rose View Post
I had no idea people were so darn nosey. Spying on customers in the checkout lane to see what method of payment they are using to purchase their groceries. It's quite outstanding how someone has the time to spot a food stamp recipient in the checkout lane AND witness them hopping into a brand new Mercedes. I'd really like to know how that happens. Usually when it's my turn to checkout, the customer ahead of me is long gone....
What are you talking about. Does sound like tho your are spying on both from your own words.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies