Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2012, 05:18 AM

1,976 posts, read 2,353,168 times

Advertisements

I was reading that Harry Reid said they would protect Social Security. I was also reading Paul Krugman's column about President Obama's past behaviour in negotiations with the Republicans, and his habit of veering to the right and deferring to them. Do you think he will do this again, or do you think he will protect social programs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 05:25 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,222,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisan4 View Post
I was reading that Harry Reid said they would protect Social Security. I was also reading Paul Krugman's column about President Obama's past behaviour in negotiations with the Republicans, and his habit of veering to the right and deferring to them. Do you think he will do this again, or do you think he will protect social programs?
Yes to the point until the country and SS will collapse.They will make no changes to preserve it except to tax, its the American way

Old 11-09-2012, 05:25 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
I hope there will be reform. We can't ignore the 800lb gorilla in the room that is Medicare.

They won't turn it into a voucher system, benefits will likely be reduced. But the president is betting the farm that obamacare will help to reduce the overall cost, essentially putting the gorilla on a diet and running on a treadmill.

Social security is a fairly easy fix.

Time will tell.

Old 11-09-2012, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I hope there will be reform. We can't ignore the 800lb gorilla in the room that is Medicare.

They won't turn it into a voucher system, benefits will likely be reduced. But the president is betting the farm that obamacare will help to reduce the overall cost, essentially putting the gorilla on a diet and running on a treadmill.

Social security is a fairly easy fix.

Time will tell.
Tax more fix more

Old 11-09-2012, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
Tax more fix more
Enact means testing. I disagree with raising the tax cap. Increase the retirement/eligibility age.

Old 11-09-2012, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Enact means testing. I disagree with raising the tax cap. Increase the retirement/eligibility age.
Make sure those that payed into it do not get their money back and make it so you cant get it until your too old to use it..tax more the new American way lets tax the rich so they can pay for the rest of us

Old 11-09-2012, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
Make sure those that payed into it do not get their money back and make it so you cant get it until your too old to use it..tax more the new American way lets tax the rich so they can pay for the rest of us
When social security came into being, the average life expectancy was less then the ss retirement age. We haven't risen that eligibility age to match the life expectancy. So we are really returning to the plans roots that way.

I agree that lowering the benefits through means testing is not fair, but its likely going to happen.

Taxation isn't against conservative ideals, it should always be on the table to pay for programs people demand. People like social security and Medicare. Have to pay for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies