Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 06:38 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,952,342 times

Advertisements

I think it is clear from the election and polls that Americans favor increasing taxes on the very wealthy. All that needs to happen is push the rates for taxes...all taxes (capital gains, inheritance, and tax brackets) to what they were during the Clinton term.

Republicans should just concede this point and begin negotiations on where to cut expenditures. Certainly there needs to be cuts with Defense, but other things need to be on the table.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 07:17 AM

59,106 posts, read 27,330,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I think it is clear from the election and polls that Americans favor increasing taxes on the very wealthy. All that needs to happen is push the rates for taxes...all taxes (capital gains, inheritance, and tax brackets) to what they were during the Clinton term.

Republicans should just concede this point and begin negotiations on where to cut expenditures. Certainly there needs to be cuts with Defense, but other things need to be on the table.
Iv'e heard this claim, " I think it is clear from the election and polls that Americans favor increasing taxes", before and I don't agree with it.

Obama won by 2%. Hardly a mandate.

Bohner, Canton, Ryan and many other were re-elected keeping control of the House for the repubs.

It has ALWAYS been true that people will ALWAYS favor raising someone else's taxes but, not their own.

Let's see the dem introduce raising Everybody's taxes and I think your claim will be debunked.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:20 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
Make the tax increase voluntary. If it's true so many want big tax hikes, there should be no trouble getting people to sign up for their tax increase.

This election was split between those on the dole and taxpayers. The non-contributors that want more government handouts obviously went for Obama, but no one has any objection to a voluntary tax increase for all who want to pay more taxes.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:23 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Let all the cuts happen. Face DEBT head on and deal with it now.
It won't go away.

States are already taxing the rich more and now you want the Fed to do it too ?

Those rich aren't going to save America for you and pay off your debts.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:24 AM

628 posts, read 1,316,262 times
Quote:

The CBO says that an increase in tax rates will result in 9+% unemployment and a retraction of 0.5% GDP very quickly so I'm not sure that is such a good "compromise" for us all. Maybe start with a closing of all loop holes and see how much revenue is generated from that. If its not enough,along with cuts, then there is a legitimite argument for higher rates.
One thing is for sure....Obama and congress need to come to some compromise or the result ain't gonna be pretty.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:25 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,457,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It won't go away.

It's funny isn't it? They actually think a country can become prosperous on the backs of the rich. They will finally get the message when they are getting poorer and struggling just to survive. The poor and minorities will be hit the worst, and to think, they VOTED FOR THIS! All I'm going to do is laugh and tell them to suck it up!

Old 11-09-2012, 07:27 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,243,959 times
Quote:

Fiscal Cliff, let it ride, and

Pick Up The Pieces - Average White Band (1974) - YouTube

Afterwards. simple solution to the complex problem. Only the strong will survive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It won't go away.

that's the most sensible thing you've typed in 5 years. +1 4 U!!

Old 11-09-2012, 07:28 AM

628 posts, read 1,316,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
It's funny isn't it? They actually think a country can become prosperous on the backs of the rich. They will finally get the message when they are getting poorer and struggling just to survive. The poor and minorities will be hit the worst, and to think, they VOTED FOR THIS! All I'm going to do is laugh and tell them to suck it up!
Yup...I agree to some point...the deficit wont go away on the backs of taxing the rich and cutting defense alone.
Dad always said "Be careful what you wish for-you just might get it". We shall see>

Old 11-09-2012, 07:29 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
CA just passed a tax the rich bill.
Other states have passed the same and you know what ? They took in less revenue and wonder what happened ?

So you have states thinking the rich will bail them out and now the Fed thinking the rich will bail them out.
Just apply a little logic here people.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:30 AM

11,142 posts, read 10,714,981 times
Quote:

The main problem I see with this idea is that only increasing the taxes on the "very wealthy" will not result in enough revenue to make any serious inroads on the national deficit. There just isn't enough money in the pool. The only way we're going to touch the deficit is through an increase in revenue and massive spending cuts. The increase in revenue can either come from tax hikes across the board or through business friendly policies that put more people to work and increase the tax base, rather than the tax rate. The massive spending cuts are going to have to come from military (probably not a good idea, considering our President's penchant for pissing off the Middle East by using drones to kill innocent civilians) and/or from entitlement programs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies