Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 12:28 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,205,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Wow, this is an easy one.

It's because Republicans love to project. Republicans absolutely love handouts (ask a Texas business or see how everyone in Houston reacted when it was announced the would cut NASA funding) so they justify taking them by villifying their opponent for taking them also.

would the liberal side be crying if the feds decided to cut the EPA or drop itself from the UN? somehow I think alot of democrats would be screaming at that kind of action.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2012, 12:31 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post

agree to mandatory drug testing for all folks on welfare
Hair follicle testing

Old 11-11-2012, 12:33 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,300,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Why is it only conservatives lie? Are you not willing to admit that Liberal's lie as well? This thread only serves to prove my point. That the original question was done to insight trouble. For once, is it not possible to ask for reality based conclusions on how to fix a problem instead of generalities.

Let's use Social Security vs. the welfare mentality. If they both are to be said to be an entitlement (which I don't think they are but that's for a different debate). Why can't we say this... Okay if I a conservative agree to raise SS age to 72 (what's another 5 years anyway...and I'll probably be dead by then anyway) and agree to keep working hard, paying in without fail, and taking a small cut on my benefit to help I will. But, at the same time.. the liberal side will agree to mandatory drug testing for all folks on welfare who have made it a lifestyle. I'm not talking those who get TANF due to disability, but those who just refuse to work. After all, I have to test to work, you can test to get my money. And how about forced community service for those who have made food-stamps a way of life too. Not those working folks who just need some help. Those folks are good to go. But if you've never ever worked a day in your life other than a few hours of labor for popping out another kid, or the work of fathering those kids, you must do something to earn that check. Pick up trash, teach someone to read, volunteer to serve soup, I don't care... Do something to contribute. Get some skin in the game. I'll sacrifice. They'll sacrifice. We'll all be better off in the long run? See how that works? Compromise....

Look you have these fantasies about TANF that don't fit reality. There is a work requirement and a time frame. TANF is only received by 1.5 million families and most of the people getting those benefits are children, the elderly, the disabled. These are the people who receive TANF and they get it for 5 to 3 years max.

Most of the people who get food stamps are children, the elderly, the disabled. Most of them have a working adult in the household. You are mistaken about these programs. You need to inform yourself.

The ENTITLEMENT spending that is the problem in terms of debt is Medicare and Medicaid, most of which goest to the elderly, who are taking more out of it than they put into it.

Most of the elderly also get more out of social security than they have put into it. These are entitlements. Ii don't care how you "feel". I am talking about reality.

Also, I don't want to cut back on those programs for the elderly.

Old 11-11-2012, 12:48 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,013,265 times
[quote=Iamme73;26905824]
Quote:
Are you joking? Look, if you believe that most of the voters for B. Obama are unemployed you are an ignorant fool. And It is a waste of time responding.

Here is reality though President Obama has received nearly 62million votes. If you go look at exiting polling they break the voted down by income group.

Obama received 46.5million votes from individuals who come from households who make $30,000 or more a year. In other words, workers.
Let's descronstruct of the left-wing lies before we delve deeper into this...

• With a total of 63 million voters, 63% of those making less than 30k voted for Obama; 35% voted for Romney
  • 57% of those making between 30-49k voted for Obama; 42% of them voted for Romney
  • Of those who made 50-100k, 53% voted for Romney and 45% voted for Obama
  • Of those who made 100k or more; 54% voted for Romney and 45% voted for Obama
• Election 2012 exit polls: voter turnout by income| Statistic

Obama also captured 64% of those with a high school education or less; but 55% of those with post graduate education; Romney won those with a stand-alone college degree (51%-47%)

Election Exit Polls Provide Mountain of Data | PBS NewsHour

Quote:
They don't break down the under $30,000, but the overwhelming majority of those individuals are working as well. But just based on that crude state nearly 80% for President Obama came from households that make over $30,000 a year or more.
You are simply wrong on all accounts. Those making less than 30k overwhelmingly voted for Obama at 63%. Those with a high school diploma or less, won his vote as well at 64%. Those who made 50k or more voted for Romney. In essence the "47%" (however you choose define that) won this election.

Those are the facts, so let's start from there...ready set go...

Old 11-11-2012, 12:49 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
Well all one has to do is look at the increase i n entitlement spending and now deomcrats fiance the cost. Now they want to solve the deficit;who do they want to cover the cost in tax increases. They said that the Bush tax cuts were only for the rich but now want those under 200K to remain saying it would be a tax increase.These rates were oens set by Clinton increases and it show just now different the clinton centralist and the obam left sees responsibilty of cost of governemnt.One only has to look at what they propose and who pays for the cost in any bill.I the end it would result in more and more GDP goig to govwernaqmnt to distrub welth which is what coicalism is;central cotnrol of means and fruits of production. Regualtion is the control of means as wel as grnats to companies firectly or special loans.With GM and chryler we actually have them controlling companies.I don't think ti loss on mnay that the redcution of middle class started dropping with the increase in wealth sharing programs in the mid 60'sor that governamnt employemnt became the leading benefto tors of excetio to that . Like i Greece governamnt jobs are seen as the path to benfits avoiding taxes of thsoe benefits as compensation for taxing.No wander 5$$% are by government stats not paying any federal taxes and 67% get more servces than they pay for. That is what happened in Greece. and why it has no real growth or investment in growrth from production.

Old 11-11-2012, 01:01 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,013,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Look you have these fantasies about TANF that don't fit reality. There is a work requirement and a time frame. TANF is only received by 1.5 million families and most of the people getting those benefits are children, the elderly, the disabled. These are the people who receive TANF and they get it for 5 to 3 years max.

Most of the people who get food stamps are children, the elderly, the disabled. Most of them have a working adult in the household. You are mistaken about these programs. You need to inform yourself.

The ENTITLEMENT spending that is the problem in terms of debt is Medicare and Medicaid, most of which goest to the elderly, who are taking more out of it than they put into it.

Most of the elderly also get more out of social security than they have put into it. These are entitlements. Ii don't care how you "feel". I am talking about reality.

And you continue to use TANF as your reference point. TANF recipients DECREASED under Bush and INCREASED under Obama. (yes, yes, we know...the "Bush economy")

If you want to discuss discretionary spending separate from Medicare and Medicaid (Medicaid is for the poor, so there goes half your argument), then make your claim But convienetly mixing all entitelments to create a collage is disingenuous.

Old 11-11-2012, 01:15 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,145,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post

I didn't realize that children could walk into a welfare office and qualify. Don't you mean that a mom can just have more children and qualify? Medicaid is for those kids and the poor, so now with obamacare shouldn't we be able to keep that out of the equation? Or was it just rolled into Obamacare?

Every time you respond, you do nothing to solve the problem. The only thing you do is project your belief's to me that you are correct, I am wrong, and that's its your way or else. I tried to project an attitude of willingness to cooperate, to solve, and to try to take the liberal position into consideration. Too bad I'm not afforded the same. And that is the plain ole answer to the OP's original question. And it only took less than 4 pages....

Old 11-11-2012, 01:23 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,422,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownnola View Post
Ever since Obama was re-elected, I keep hearing Republicans making statements that Obama was re-elected because the people who voted for him are looking for a handout. This is ridiculous and doesn't reflect any of the people that I know who voted for him (the majority of people who I know that voted for Obama are college educated, have good paying jobs and are financially stable).

In my opinion, while Obama is not perfect, he was a far better candidate than Romney on a wide range of economic and social issues. It had nothing to do with wanting some kind of handout. Has anyone else gotten tired of hearing this assertion?

Now, excuse me while I go check to see if my welfare check has come in

Why do the majority of the Democrat's campaign ads revolve around the premise that "the evil Republicans want to cut your SS and welfare and SSI and SNAP and Section 8 ...."? If you're not worried and don't want anything from the government and care about the debt and the deficit...

Old 11-11-2012, 02:28 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Why do the majority of the Democrat's campaign ads revolve around the premise that "the evil Republicans want to cut your SS and welfare and SSI and SNAP and Section 8 ...."? If you're not worried and don't want anything from the government and care about the debt and the deficit...
I have not seen an ad like this.

Maybe it's a regional thing.

Old 11-11-2012, 02:41 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,818,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Hair follicle testing
Absolutely........You don't pass, you get NOTHING!

Don't step on the grass sam - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies