Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2012, 03:00 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,507,843 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 03:01 PM

781 posts, read 1,197,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
Do to an illness the uninsured go to the hospital ER to rectify their health issue and because of the extremely high cost of ER care most of the cost is absorbed by those that still have health insurance in the form of higher premiums thus causing the cycle to repeat itself until the imminent collapse of healthcare as we currently know it.

We as a country have procrastinated for over 60 years concerning universal care and now the roosters have come home to roost.

This is reality despite political parties and the pandering both sides do to their constituency.

Every time a Papa Johns employee that does not have health insurance coverage has to go to the ER for a problem that could have been dealt with cheaply and efficiently via preventative care YOU pay,

I pay and everyone on this thread pays that has health insurance.

You, KUchief are already paying.
Yup. Hello state and federal funds (taxpayer dollars), higher property taxes, FICA, and higher insurance premiums.

I asked this earlier and got crickets. No surprise.

My question is, whether the real figure for PJ's is 5,200 uninsured, or 15,200 uninsured--who was 'paying' for healthcare of these uninsured employees pre-Obamacare?

Old 11-12-2012, 05:37 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,385,232 times
Due to the worst drought the U.S. has seen since the Dust Bowl, the number of milk cows is lower than it's been in decades. Dairy farmers simply can't find the feed to keep large herds.

Expect to pay more for cheese and other dairy products until the drought lifts. Every pizza chain will be raising the prices, because the cheese is going to cost them more now. The same is true with all the crops that demand a lot of water. Expect to pay more for meat, because the cost of hay and feed is also high and the feed crops were hit just as hard by the drought.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:54 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,980,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
Their pizza sucks and is loaded with too much unnecessary sugar and salt. I can get much better pizza for much less.
Frankly, I never knew what Papa John thought about politics.
I tried one pie and it was one of the best I ever had.
Shortly thereafter I had three more, each worse than the last.
Dry. Not enough sauce. So bad that I could swing a slice in the air by the crust, causing the slice to flop around, but not one topping moved on it. The cheese was too salty and horrid.
The fourth pie was the last. I threw it out. It was insulting to sell this thing.

I even called the place and told them what cr@p they were selling. The guy on the phone was belligerent and defensive. He evidently thought I was trying to get a free pie from him. When he finally offered me a second pie and I refused he started to take me seriously. He asked me to send the pie back. I told him that the last three pies were dry and horrid and all he has to do is to watch the pies as they leave the oven. I told him that was the last time I would order a pie from them. It's been years and I still have no desire to try them again to see if they've ironed out their problems.

The pies stink. It does not matter what their politics are.

Old 11-12-2012, 06:01 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,572,790 times
Waaaaaay back in the day Papa John's had great pizza. The bigger they got, the worse they got.

It reminds me of the days when you could have a tug of war with a Polo shirt. Nowadays, you sneeze on it and the shirt falls apart.

Old 11-12-2012, 06:08 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,642,454 times
We have found a frozen pizza at the grocery store that is better tasting than any of the pizza chains.

Also when I call to order and get a recording instead of a human being, the place goes off my list of places to do business.

Old 11-12-2012, 07:30 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,535,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
In the 1950s and 1960s, the American worker was able to support a family of a stay at home wife and 2.5 kids on ONE SALARY. He had a pension, and benefits for himself and his entire family. He typically could buy a home and a car on his salary. He had vacation. During this time, the top income tax rates were much higher than they are today, though CEO salaries were much less in proportion to what the average worker in his company made.

This is considered the greatest era of American economy. The great expansion of the American middle class occurred during this time. Prosperity and a real chance for social mobility.

Slowly, however, social darwinist man-children, (AKA, the cowboy capitalist Republicants) destroyed the American worker, led to the destruction of families and an erosion of the middle class lifestyle as they stripped away unions and worker protections and benefits. Somehow, they managed to blame it on free love hippies, and laughed their @sses off all the way to the bank.

The "new normal" is here, and it has NOTHING to do with Obamacare!

Someone who gets it. Well said.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:08 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,224,873 times
"The fact is, most employers WILL NOT be required to offer health insurance. Companies with 50 or fewer employees are specifically exempt from the requirement in the Affordable Care Act. And, U.S. Census and Small Business Administration statistics show that 96 percent of small businesses have fewer than 50 employees.
What about the 4 percent of businesses that will be required to offer health insurance or face fines? How much of a burden will it be on them? Nearly all of those companies already offer health insurance to employees. According to annual employer surveys by the Kaiser Family Foundation, 93 percent of businesses with 50-199 employees and 99 percent of companies with more than 200 employees offer health insurance."
Obamacare is good for small business / LJWorld.com
Seems like those businesses such as Papa John's who are whining and complaining are just bringing attention to themselves as examples on businesses that care more about money than their employees. Since most companies with over 50 employees already offer insurance, and those with under 50 employees will not be required to offer it, there really is no excuse other than greed and indifference, for an employer such as Papa John's not to have offered insurance all along. Disgusting example of a business.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:21 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythunderstood View Post
"The fact is, most employers WILL NOT be required to offer health insurance. Companies with 50 or fewer employees are specifically exempt from the requirement in the Affordable Care Act. And, U.S. Census and Small Business Administration statistics show that 96 percent of small businesses have fewer than 50 employees.
What about the 4 percent of businesses that will be required to offer health insurance or face fines? How much of a burden will it be on them? Nearly all of those companies already offer health insurance to employees. According to annual employer surveys by the Kaiser Family Foundation, 93 percent of businesses with 50-199 employees and 99 percent of companies with more than 200 employees offer health insurance."
Obamacare is good for small business / LJWorld.com
Seems like those businesses such as Papa John's who are whining and complaining are just bringing attention to themselves as examples on businesses that care more about money than their employees. Since most companies with over 50 employees already offer insurance, and those with under 50 employees will not be required to offer it, there really is no excuse other than greed and indifference, for an employer such as Papa John's not to have offered insurance all along. Disgusting example of a business.
Papa John's does offer insurance. Could be the high deductible that is going away.
Remember, Obamacare has also defined "qualifying insurance" and some plans have to be dropped because they aren't qualifying.

Walmart just came out with their 2013 plans. They had to drop choices because they were not qualifying and had to raise premiums. There's an article floating around on this. Walmart also upped the min hours need to work to even get their insurance.

You also realize that even when you pay premiums the company also has to pay premiums.
What is the change on the corporate side for them ?

When government decided to tell business what to do, did they think business would just do it ?
Did they think business would just absorb the cost ?

What you are seeing and reading is how various businesses are reacting to a mandate.
They have to juggle the numbers around to make their business viable.
The FedGov doesn't need to do that. They can just take on more debt. Businesses can't.

FWIW your linked article is dated July 2012.
The IRS just came out with this ruling in Sept 2012. One thing the article didn't know about..the IRS redefined full time to be 30 hours now, not 40.
So if you had 50 part time employees working 35 hours a week you thought you were exempt, but , your business model just got changed from underneath you. You now have 50 full time employees and are mandated to provide insurance.

If you are open 12 hours a day for 7 days a week then you can easily have 50 employees all working p/t

Old 11-12-2012, 08:24 PM

16,912 posts, read 10,600,924 times
Papa Johns always made me sick after I ate it, so they can raise their price all they want. It isn't real pizza anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies