Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 06:42 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,944,994 times

Advertisements

I don't get it. I know people who got up early this morning to go and sit in a deer stand in the cold waiting for a deer to come close enough for them to shoot. Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 06:45 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times
Are they processing it ?

That's what they do out here in the country..deer,feral hogs, dove.
They don't bag more than then plan to consume.
It's food.

Old 11-12-2012, 06:45 AM

45,203 posts, read 26,424,445 times
Food to eat,prevent over population, spread of disease etc.

Old 11-12-2012, 06:49 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,306,196 times
If you could see the number of deer plastered on the roads here in Michigan, you would consider hunting mercy killing.

I'm not a hunter either, but it is true that there is an overpopulation of deer in a lot of states (such as mine) and those that aren't killed by hunters or cars often do end up starving during the lean winter months when the snow is on the ground and they can't find food. I love animals, and if it were up to me, I would rather see a deer killed instantly by a bullet than see it slowly starve and freeze to death.

Old 11-12-2012, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Are they processing it ?

That's what they do out here in the country..deer,feral hogs, dove.
They don't bag more than then plan to consume.
It's food.
I have no idea. The question is why do they enjoy it? I understand some may do it for necessity. I am talking about the people who do it because they enjoy it. What is there to enjoy?

Old 11-12-2012, 06:53 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,238,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I don't get it. I know people who got up early this morning to go and sit in a deer stand in the cold waiting for a deer to come close enough for them to shoot. Why?
For some, maybe most, it's food on the table, subsistance.
My uncles were genuine kentucky backwoods folk who made moonshine, and who hunted not only deer, but also rabbit and squirrel, and also fished. They were poor people who depended upon natural resources to see them through harsh winters.
Most people who hunt do it more than for the sport, and, in some communities, hunters give their kills to food shelters to put meat on the table for needy people.

So, it's not as bad as some people might think hunting is.
Hunting also helps keep nature in balance too.

Old 11-12-2012, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
For some, maybe most, it's food on the table, subsistance.
My uncles were genuine kentucky backwoods folk who made moonshine, and who hunted not only deer, but also rabbit and squirrel, and also fished. They were poor people who depended upon natural resources to see them through harsh winters.
Most people who hunt do it more than for the sport, and, in some communities, hunters give their kills to food shelters to put meat on the table for needy people.

So, it's not as bad as some people might think hunting is.
Hunting also helps keep nature in balance too.
I have made no value judgments here. I understand the benefits of hunting. I am asking why people enjoy doing it. No answers to that question yet.

Old 11-12-2012, 06:59 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,032,070 times
Quote:
While that is how some hunters may hunt the most successful ones that I know that consistently bag the big ones year after year spend a great deal of time in the woods prior to the day hunting season opens. If you want to be a successful hunter there is littler bit more involved with it than sitting in a tree especially if you're hunting during archery season.

Old 11-12-2012, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
While that is how some hunters may hunt the most successful ones that I know that consistently bag the big ones year after year spend a great deal of time in the woods prior to the day hunting season opens. If you want to be a successful hunter there is littler bit more involved with it than sitting in a tree especially if you're hunting during archery season.
O.K. so why do it?

Old 11-12-2012, 07:04 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,588,623 times
Quote:
O.K. so why do it?
Why do you keep asking the same question when you have been provided with the answer(s)? Are you trying to make a point.....if so, make it.

My husband hunts and is a member of several hunting organzations such as ducks unlimited and deer management organizations.

We eat venison as it is much healthier for you than ground beef. Additionally, it is something he loves to do with his friends and they also loe being out in the woods and maintaining the hunting land they own. It's a guy thing, I guess, although I do know several women who love it.

Responsible hunters also do a lot to thin out the deer over population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies