Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 06:55 PM

3,147 posts, read 3,503,896 times

Advertisements

Can we let go of this silly darn argument? You do realize that you sound absolutely absurd to any educated mind when you say you don't need an AR-15 to hunt, right?

Oh you don't? Let me show you why you sound so out of touch.

This is the common AR-15 load right next to the most common deer hunting round.
Deer hunting round is on the left and the AR-15 round is on the right:

This is not the biggest hunting round, this is the most common.

And yes, deer hunting rifles come in semi-auto, and is quite common. So let me get this straight, this gun which delivers a much bigger round at the same rate:

Is safer than this gun, which works the same way, and fires a much smaller cartridge:

If you want to argue against gun ownership, argue against it. Don't use ignorant lines about not needing a black gun to hunt, especially when hunting rifles are more dangerous.

If every AR-15 was traded in for a Model 44 (deer gun), the potential for damage would go way up.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 09-28-2013 at 09:57 PM.. Reason: copyright/hot linking
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2013, 07:10 PM

Oh and this is not a gun control debate thread, this is a thread about the actual hardware being discussed and how it functions. This is the conversation you should have BEFORE you form an opinion on gun control.

Watch, I will be called a gun nut just for knowing how they work...

Old 09-28-2013, 07:16 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,888,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
Oh and this is not a gun control debate thread, this is a thread about the actual hardware being discussed and how it functions. This is the conversation you should have BEFORE you form an opinion on gun control.

I buy one, and they make brush guns!

Old 09-28-2013, 07:17 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,121,492 times
Quote:
Can we let go of this silly darn argument? You do realize that you sound absolutely absurd to any educated mind when you say you don't need an AR-15 to hunt, right?

Oh you don't? Let me show you why you sound so out of touch.

This is the common AR-15 load right next to the most common deer hunting round.
Deer hunting round is on the left and the AR-15 round is on the right:

This is not the biggest hunting round, this is the most common.

And yes, deer hunting rifles come in semi-auto, and is quite common. So let me get this straight, this gun which delivers a much bigger round at the same rate:

Is safer than this gun, which works the same way, and fires a much smaller cartridge:

If you want to argue against gun ownership, argue against it. Don't use ignorant lines about not needing a black gun to hunt, especially when hunting rifles are more dangerous.

If every AR-15 was traded in for a Model 44 (deer gun), the potential for damage would go way up.
The way I understand it, the AR-15 round is smaller b/c it will produce less recoil when you fire more bullets (semi or auto), which generally isn't useful hunting animals (unless you just want to kill a bunch of stuff).

Lastly, the term "assault rifle" originated from the Nazi's who had a similar word in German to refer to their military rifles and was officially coined post WW2 by Russians (AK 47) and US military (Vietnam era).

Long story short, I think most people when they hear "assault" rifle and hunting they tend to think overkill.

Old 09-28-2013, 07:26 PM

2,234 posts, read 1,759,697 times
Some people hunt hogs and rodents with them where they need more than 1 shot quickly. Some simply prefer to hunt with AR15. AR15 account for a minuscule amount of deaths, and aren't any more deadly than any other simiauto firearm. Out of the 12,664 murders in 2011, 8,583 were by a firearm. Out of that 8,583 firearm related deaths, 6,220 were from hand guns, 356 from shotguns, and only 323 from rifles (whether the rifle was an AR15 or not is not known). To put things into perspective, rifles aren't the firearm of choice for criminals because blunt objects accounted for 496 deaths, hands and feet accounted for 2x as many as rifles accounting for 726 deaths, 853 deaths happened from unspecified causes, and 1,684 occurred from firearms that aren't classified as a hand gun, rifle, or shotgun...

Just because YOU PERSONALLY would not use an AR15 to hunt with because a Model 44 would work better for YOU, does not mean that an AR15 can not be the personal choice for others for what ever their personal reasons are.

Old 09-28-2013, 07:28 PM

150 posts, read 92,813 times
Who cares what anti gun nuts say? The 2nd amendment is the only gun law we need their arguments are mute.Don't want a gun don't buy one,enjoy being a victim though.

Old 09-28-2013, 07:31 PM

Quote:

It all comes down to personal preference... People can choose to hunt with what ever firearm they want to hunt with. AR15 have very little recoil, can be customized to so the same thing most other rifles can do, and are one of the most popular multipurpose firearms in America... Because of that, some people feel more comfortable with them compared to other rifles. Who are you to tell someone else what is or isn't easier for THEM to shoot?

Old 09-28-2013, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
The way I understand it, the AR-15 round is smaller b/c it will produce less recoil when you fire more bullets (semi or auto), which generally isn't useful hunting animals (unless you just want to kill a bunch of stuff).

Lastly, the term "assault rifle" originated from the Nazi's who had a similar word in German to refer to their military rifles and was officially coined post WW2 by Russians (AK 47) and US military (Vietnam era).

Long story short, I think most people when they hear "assault" rifle and hunting they tend to think overkill.
They still make semi-autos in bigger calibers that function almost exactly the same way, hunting with semi-auto large caliber rifles is NOT uncommon in this country. And millions of hunters who, you know, hunt as their main hobby find them plenty useful for hunting.

The history of the term "assault rifle" has nothing to do with whether or not you use an AR-15 for deer hunting, most deer hunters would laugh at the idea of using a measly AR-15 for deer hunting. The scary sounding name has nothing to do with their bias against them.

I know most people hear "assault rifle" and think it is overkill for hunting, that is the point of this thread. Hunters and people who know how guns function know that an "assault rifle" is typically underkill for hunting.

Old 09-28-2013, 07:35 PM

Quote:
They still make semi-autos in bigger calibers that function almost exactly the same way, hunting with semi-auto large caliber rifles is NOT uncommon in this country. And millions of hunters who, you know, hunt as their main hobby find them plenty useful for hunting.

The history of the term "assault rifle" has nothing to do with whether or not you use an AR-15 for deer hunting, most deer hunters would laugh at the idea of using a measly AR-15 for deer hunting. The scary sounding name has nothing to do with their bias against them.

I know most people hear "assault rifle" and think it is overkill for hunting, that is the point of this thread. Hunters and people who know how guns function know that an "assault rifle" is typically underkill for hunting.
An AR15 can kill an animal just as dead as many other calibers...

Old 09-28-2013, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniDanko View Post
Some people hunt hogs and rodents with them where they need more than 1 shot quickly. Some simply prefer to hunt with AR15. AR15 account for a minuscule amount of deaths, and aren't any more deadly than any other simiauto firearm. Out of the 12,664 murders in 2011, 8,583 were by a firearm. Out of that 8,583 firearm related deaths, 6,220 were from hand guns, 356 from shotguns, and only 323 from rifles (whether the rifle was an AR15 or not is not known). To put things into perspective, rifles aren't the firearm of choice for criminals because blunt objects accounted for 496 deaths, hands and feet accounted for 2x as many as rifles accounting for 726 deaths, 853 deaths happened from unspecified causes, and 1,684 occurred from firearms that aren't classified as a hand gun, rifle, or shotgun...

Just because YOU PERSONALLY would not use an AR15 to hunt with because a Model 44 would work better for YOU, does not mean that an AR15 can not be the personal choice for others for what ever their personal reasons are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniDanko View Post
It all comes down to personal preference... People can choose to hunt with what ever firearm they want to hunt with. AR15 have very little recoil, can be customized to so the same thing most other rifles can do, and are one of the most popular multipurpose firearms in America... Because of that, some people feel more comfortable with them compared to other rifles. Who are you to tell someone else what is or isn't easier for THEM to shoot?

Whoa man, I was never saying that you CAN'T hunt with an AR-15. I was pointing out that it is a much weaker gun than the more popular hunting rounds.

You can hunt with whatever gun you please, but the point remains the same... Most hunters consider the AR-15 a varmint rifle at best, and most prefer much larger rounds when hunting deer and elk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies