Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 03:22 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,609,612 times

Advertisements

So reads the subject line of a Craigslist ad posted by the Genesis Group.

The ad goes on:

* MUST have at least 1 semester of college or be pursuing successful modeling/acting career.

* You must be height/weight proportionate. Please use this BMI calculator to make sure your BMI is lower than 27.

I post this just to note how severing the link between sexual intimacy, marriage, and procreation has paved the way for the kind of vulgar, immoral, eugenicist mentality that is now becoming so common.

Any guesses on where this might lead?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 04:01 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,611,203 times
Anyone can put up a craiglist ad. That one was probably listed by some social conservative nut, who should be minding his/her own business.

And if you look at the actual site of this group, it reads:

"We use the rules that govern the American Society of Reproductive Medicine (“ASRM”) as fundamental parameters to follow when matching all our clients. We are proud members in good standing of ASRM, RESOLVE, and Better Business Bureau ( “BBB”) . We are also licensed with the New York State Department of Health. We take pride in offering all of our Prospective Parents, Surrogates and Egg Donors world-class service and commitment to excellence and privacy. We value our clients’ privacy and pledge to make client confidentiality our highest priority.

Thank you for your interest in becoming a donor. We are currently looking for responsible, healthy young women age 29 and under. Not everyone can be an egg donor. It truly takes a special person! Being an egg donor also takes time and commitment. Since there are no specific set qualifications required to be an Egg Donor, each applicant is reviewed on a case-by-case basis. Your decision to be an egg donor should not be taken lightly, please take the time to research what this process involves. If you have any questions please contact a Genesis Group representative. We can arrange to put you in contact with a physician, nurse or attorney for further explanation or information."
Genesis

Old 11-12-2012, 04:08 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,468,275 times
If you were part of an infertile couple using these services, wouldn't you want some say as to whose DNA your eventual child got?

Old 11-12-2012, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Anyone can put up a craiglist ad. That one was probably listed by some social conservative nut, who should be minding his/her own business.
It was clearly listed by the Genesis Group itself. The only contact info is for the Genesis Group.

Why the irrational denial? Nothing in the text you quoted indicates that the ad is somehow contrary to their standards.

Old 11-12-2012, 04:20 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,484,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post

Any guesses on where this might lead?
The birth of a child to a loving couple who can't have kids.

[best guess]

Old 11-12-2012, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
If you were part of an infertile couple using these services, wouldn't you want some say as to whose DNA your eventual child got?
You bet I would.

And if I were part of a society where the better kind of people could be "made to order" (and lesser kinds of people aborted before they get here), I would want some say as to whose DNA my eventual neighbors would get.

Does that bother you in the least?

Old 11-12-2012, 04:21 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Selective pro-creation. Where have we seen that before ?

Old 11-12-2012, 04:23 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,221,070 times
OMG! People paying for a service, being picky about what they are paying large sums of money for. How dare they!

Old 11-12-2012, 04:26 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,484,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
You bet I would.

And if I were part of a society where the better kind of people could be "made to order" (and lesser kinds of people aborted before they get here), I would want some say as to whose DNA my eventual neighbors would get.

Does that bother you in the least?
Not I.

[they're your kids...]

Old 11-12-2012, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
[they're your kids...]
My eventual neighbors are my kids?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies