Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you or wouldn't you? no in betweens
Yes, I'd sacrifice 1 million instead of my family 56 72.73%
No, I wouldn't sacrifice 1 million for my family 21 27.27%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 11:05 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times

Advertisements

The responses make me care less about humanity, I guess. Selective love is obscene and perverted. Your precious little angel is not worth more than a million other precious little angels. Humans suck lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 11:45 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,419,987 times
Human nature. Preservation of self and family is genetically hard-wired into our DNA. I'm surprised you're surprised.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:11 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
It is something like 50+ million people die every year, so I would always choose my family over them seeing that I have only known a handful a people who have died and have never met a million plus amount of people.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:13 AM

3,353 posts, read 6,442,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
The responses make me care less about humanity, I guess. Selective love is obscene and perverted. Your precious little angel is not worth more than a million other precious little angels. Humans suck lol.
Would you give up any member of your family to save 1 million people? Even those closest to you? Before I give up any family member, I need to the demographics of those 1 million that will die. Honestly (this may be sad) if the 1 million were people who were already going to pass within days, then I wouldn't give any of my family members up, it would be a waste. If it were a million mass murderers, I still wouldn't give any up. If it were a million scientist that needed to be saved, then yeah of course I would give up (yet again another harsh statement) a family member I care the least about. I have about 10-15 family members that won't be given up for any circumstance unless the world was going to end and giving them up was the only way to prevent it.

The real question is would anyone give away any family member for One billion dollars. It may sound harsh but I have one or two that I would.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:26 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
I was gobsmacked to hear that some people would literally rather everyone on earth die than their family die. How can someone actually think they or their family is worth more than billions? Are they for real? I love my family, but I couldn't imagine that.

Would anyone here actually sacrifice 1 million strangers or even everyone on the planet (I'm not saying you personally press the button but let's say they'd be killed) to save their family? Why or why not? Is it just blind love? Isn't it incredibly selfish?

I guess I could understand if you hated humanity, but if we don't see humanity as one big family then we'll never solve problems like world hunger, global warming/climate change, wars, the distribution of resources.

I think humans have an instinct to preserve species but this is through preserving your own genes.

If you are that surprised at the answer you really didn't want why ask the question?

Would you rather die in front of your family or you watch them die? It is about the same thing and which is the least selfish? Then add to that what is the guarantee death would involve everyone but your family or yourself?

The problems you list are never going to be solved anyway because there is always going to be someone with different ideals and an agenda that does not involve resolution to anything unless it is exactly the way they think it should be.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:33 AM

22,662 posts, read 24,605,343 times
Both groups....cannot stand Humantards!

Old 11-15-2012, 04:28 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
Would you give up any member of your family to save 1 million people? Even those closest to you? Before I give up any family member, I need to the demographics of those 1 million that will die. Honestly (this may be sad) if the 1 million were people who were already going to pass within days, then I wouldn't give any of my family members up, it would be a waste. If it were a million mass murderers, I still wouldn't give any up. If it were a million scientist that needed to be saved, then yeah of course I would give up (yet again another harsh statement) a family member I care the least about. I have about 10-15 family members that won't be given up for any circumstance unless the world was going to end and giving them up was the only way to prevent it.

The real question is would anyone give away any family member for One billion dollars. It may sound harsh but I have one or two that I would.
Well if someone asked one of my family members if they wanted to spare me or 5,000 strangers, I'd hope they'd spare the strangers. I couldn't carry that burden of guilt. So in that situation, yes, I think i'd be forced to, as horrible as that may sound as you.

Say 1 million ordinary people. Say someone threatened to drop an atom bomb on Indianapolis, or kill your family. Your IMMEDIATE family.

Old 11-15-2012, 05:12 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,040,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_Jaguar4 View Post
Do I get to choose the 1 million unlucky bastards?
Ha ha....that's what I was thinking...Do I get to choose which countries to nuke to get to my 1 million? I have a list.

Old 11-15-2012, 05:18 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
Quote:
I was gobsmacked to hear that some people would literally rather everyone on earth die than their family die. How can someone actually think they or their family is worth more than billions? Are they for real? I love my family, but I couldn't imagine that.

Would anyone here actually sacrifice 1 million strangers or even everyone on the planet (I'm not saying you personally press the button but let's say they'd be killed) to save their family? Why or why not? Is it just blind love? Isn't it incredibly selfish?

I guess I could understand if you hated humanity, but if we don't see humanity as one big family then we'll never solve problems like world hunger, global warming/climate change, wars, the distribution of resources.

I think humans have an instinct to preserve species but this is through preserving your own genes.
Very weird thread!

I will choose my family since I don't know who the millions are and what they have done in their life....if I had an answer to that it may change my answer but this is in the top 10 of strangest threads I've ever read!

Old 11-15-2012, 06:30 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,974,968 times
Quote:
I agree. Everyone is special, in their own eyes and probably to others. We, ourselves, are not so terribly unique.
I also believe in reincarnation and often think that I could have been born the 'other guy'. It helps put my own ego in perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies