Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support or oppose the death penalty?
I'm an American and I oppose the death penalty 100% 35 40.70%
I'm an American and I support the death penalty for mass murder 5 5.81%
I'm an American and I support the death penalty for murder 16 18.60%
I'm an American and I support the death penalty for murder and sex crimes 22 25.58%
I'm an American and I think the death penalty should apply even for minor crimes 0 0%
I'm not American and I'm 100% against the death penalty 4 4.65%
I'm not American and I support the DP for mass murder 1 1.16%
I'm not American and I support the DP for murder 1 1.16%
I'm not American and I support the DP for murder and sex crimes 2 2.33%
I'm not American and I think the death penalty should be used even for minor crimes 0 0%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 06:42 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,181,647 times

Advertisements

I'm completely against it, because it's sending the message that revenge is better than mercy. Also I think civilized societies have no reason to practice it.

Most importantly though, there's no solid evidence it deters and prevents crime. If the death penalty was proven beyond a shadow of a doubt to prevent murder, I might reconsider my stance reluctantly.

I even think life in prison should only be handed out on a rare basis, for the very very worst of criminals. For your average murder, I'd say 25 years in prison is probably a pretty just sentence, since most murders are unlikely to repeat their crimes in old age, plus I think everyone should at least have a chance at a second chance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 06:47 AM

5,190 posts, read 4,840,372 times
the problem is though, that often those 25 years get reduced, sometimes to absurdly low figures.

Old 07-30-2012, 06:48 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,181,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
the problem is though, that often those 25 years get reduced, sometimes to absurdly low figures.
A life sentence is just as likely to be reduced. We Americans might feel tough when we sentence a murderer to 1000 years in jail, but who's to say what the state of the nation will be like even 30 years from now? I think justice that sticks to its word is the most effective, Australia and Canada rarely give life sentences yet they are not suffering from a barrage of repeat murder.

Old 07-30-2012, 06:49 AM

11,268 posts, read 11,032,046 times
My main problem with the death penalty is that they let these indigent offenders sit on death row for 20+ years going through appeal after appeal at the taxpayers expense. If you're going to spend the $$$ for prosecuting a capital case, the sentence should be carried out within 3 years or less of the guilty verdict. Why let a person sentenced to death live another 25 years? What's the point? Either abolish the death penalty or carry out the deed within a reasonable time frame.

Old 07-30-2012, 06:52 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,581,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
My main problem with the death penalty is that they let these indigent offenders sit on death row for 20+ years going through appeal after appeal at the taxpayers expense. If you're going to spend the $$$ for prosecuting a capital case, the sentence should be carried out within 3 years or less of the guilty verdict. Why let a person sentenced to death live another 25 years? What's the point? Either abolish the death penalty or carry out the deed within a reasonable time frame.
Took the words right out of my mouth!

Old 07-30-2012, 06:53 AM

45,232 posts, read 26,457,645 times
I'm against the death penalty because the state is in no way competent enough to decide matters of life and death.
How many condemned have been subsequently found innocent and released from death row?
Our own criminal guv is also hypocritical, as it kills without consequence (wars of aggression, drone attacks).
Why dont the same penalties apply to presidents and congress?

Our legal system is nothing but a market where guilt or innocence are purchase by the highest bidder.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:02 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,084,411 times
I'm for the death penalty. And I agree with the above posters that the penalty needs to be carried out much sooner than it is. These offenders get to sit on death row for decades waiting for their date to come. During that time they waste our money, commit crimes in prison, and are just a drain on society.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:06 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,828,810 times
I am American and 100% against for the reasons detailed below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
I'm against the death penalty because the state is in no way competent enough to decide matters of life and death.
How many condemned have been subsequently found innocent and released from death row?
Our own criminal guv is also hypocritical, as it kills without consequence (wars of aggression, drone attacks).
Why dont the same penalties apply to presidents and congress?

Our legal system is nothing but a market where guilt or innocence are purchase by the highest bidder.
Also there is a such thing as life without parole for heinous offenses and I feel that should be used for those types of crimes such as mass murder, serial rapist and child molestation/rape.

I do not feel that the state should be involved in killing its citizens. I also don't think that death is an adequate punishment for heinous crimes. I would prefer that people are alive to suffer imprisonment instead of being released from the difficulties of life via death.

I also would like to see our prison systems reformed to include more rehabilitative programs and activities for first time offenders and prisoners without substantially violent offenses. I would also like to see those who do commit crimes that are eligible for parole to have extensive and intense rehabilitation before they are release from prison.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:07 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,483,423 times
Completely against it, not because I don't think it's morally appropriate for premeditated murder, but because it encourages a desire for revenge that affects other social and criminal policy.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:50 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,621,351 times
I oppose the death penalty due to my belief that no man has the right to end the life of a living human being (except in the act of self defense). I'm also strongly pro-life. I don't understand the mindset of those who support the right of the mother to kill her innocent child through abortion while at the same time opposing the death penalty for murderers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies