Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 03:07 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,995,631 times

Advertisements

Catholic Church spent million fighting marriage equality this election cycle – LGBTQ Nation

The church seems to care more about keeping gay americans from marrying than providing for people in poverty these days.

Old 11-17-2012, 03:10 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,184,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Catholic Church spent million fighting marriage equality this election cycle – LGBTQ Nation

The church seems to care more about keeping gay americans from marrying than providing for people in poverty these days.
That statement is so full of falsehoods, it's pathetic.

1. Do you have a clue how much they spend to help those the needy? I'm guessing it's a heck of a lot more than $2 million. If marriage is preserved, it will help stabilize society. We lose marriage, we are in trouble.

2. There is not a single law in this country that I'm aware of that says gay people can't get married. Marriage is already equal. The question is whether or not we should allow people to redefine marriage to include however many people, or things as they want to.

Old 11-17-2012, 03:20 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
Quote:

Or one could say they are defendig marriage beig between a man and woman and gay are spenidng money aginst marriage as its been defined.

Old 11-17-2012, 03:36 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,770,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Or one could say they are defendig marriage beig between a man and woman and gay are spenidng money aginst marriage as its been defined.
The Catholic Church doesn't own the right to an English word. Marriage has already changed definitions many times. Just because they don't like this particular definition adjustment doesn't give them the right to lay ownership of it.

Old 11-17-2012, 03:39 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,166,535 times
As the father of a Gay son, I can respect the beliefs of others. I do understand (like abortion) it is a subject that certain individuals can agree or disagree.

There are Gay Catholics. Does the church speak for them ?

Old 11-17-2012, 03:40 PM

753 posts, read 727,733 times
Quote:

You forgot to mention that in so doing, they failed across the board.

Old 11-17-2012, 03:57 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,184,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
The Catholic Church doesn't own the right to an English word. Marriage has already changed definitions many times. Just because they don't like this particular definition adjustment doesn't give them the right to lay ownership of it.
I'm not Catholic but I do believe it's male/female. For thousands of years it's been male/female. Not until just recently has anyone decided to change the definition. The gay lobby does not own the right to an English word, nor do they get to tell everyone else how to define it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post

There are Gay Catholics. Does the church speak for them ?
Yes. It does. If they want to belong to the Catholic church, they have to follow their rules. Why would you choose to belong to ANY organization if you can't accept their rules?

Old 11-17-2012, 04:06 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,770,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I'm not Catholic but I do believe it's male/female. For thousands of years it's been male/female. Not until just recently has anyone decided to change the definition. The gay lobby does not own the right to an English word, nor do they get to tell everyone else how to define it.
False. For thousands of years, it also included polygamy, same race only, and incest. Same-sex marriage has also existed in numerous cultures around the world. The Church itself used to view it as a Christian Rite.

Quote:
Yes. It does. If they want to belong to the Catholic church, they have to follow their rules. Why would you choose to belong to ANY organization if you can't accept their rules?
Nobody follows the Catholic Church's rules, not even their own leaders. Most American Catholics reject Rome's stance on gays, and in light of all the corruption and sexual scandals in the Church, it has forever lost the ability to claim the moral high ground.

Old 11-17-2012, 04:10 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,503,986 times
Catholic "church spent $0 to fight pedophilia amongst it's clergy. It still shocks me that people really still give money to this outfit.

Old 11-17-2012, 04:24 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,604,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
False. For thousands of years, it also included polygamy, same race only, and incest. Same-sex marriage has also existed in numerous cultures around the world. The Church itself used to view it as a Christian Rite.
You are certifiably insane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies