Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2012, 10:04 AM

2,238 posts, read 1,449,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Thanks for clarifying, I am better understanding your point. To answer, I think it is the victim mentality that Christians have especially in this country. They feel like everyone who isn't one of them is just a big meanie who is their enemy and mocks their faith. The fact is that many former Christians are turned off by their faith specifically because of the ones who have some bizarre agenda. I have not had anyone practicing Judaism or Islam come knock on my door to proselytize either. I think all faiths believe they are the 'right' faith, it just seems the Christians seem to take it a bit further. They seem to have disdain for other faiths, but to people with an absence of faith in a divinity altogether, they appear to be outright hostile as can be seen in the story from the OP.
No problem

It is funny to me that a religion that spans decades and that at one time or another was a major power who marginalized many other smaller religions as well as those they considered "heathens" whines and complains all the time about being persecuted. It's pretty pathetic really especially when you see all the anti-gay, anti-abortion, and anti-islam nuts running around screaming about this and that but then when you say something to correct them they act like they are in a lifetime movie where they curl up in the shower and cry. Cry babies they are !

Old 11-19-2012, 10:08 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,371,237 times
Default The war on Christmas has begun for this year.

Yes, it seems that a city that has been allowing those horrible displays involving Christians and the beginning of Christmas for nearly 60 years has had to go to court to continue their normal practice. Atheists in the vicinity decided if they couldn't stop the displays they would just join them. The city had been using a lottery policy to determine who could place their displays on the beach and atheists in numbers applied. It seems that they got 21 of their requests approved and put up some of their own kind of displays.

BTW the atheists involved there were very happy to learn from Pew Research that their numbers had grown from 15% to 20% in the last 5 years and that most of the growth was among young people. They are now a much larger, very vocal minority, it seems.

Go ahead and tell me again that there is no war on Christmas in this country, leaners.

Battle over coastal Xmas display goes to LA court | CharlotteObserver.com

Old 11-19-2012, 10:10 AM

3,620 posts, read 3,850,815 times
there is no war on christmas. its a couple people who make decisions that get scared if somebody whines.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:12 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,647,996 times
There is no war on Christmas. Christmas will always happen. Fighting against open displays is not, repeat is not, a war on Christmas.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:14 AM

38,857 posts, read 25,652,085 times
Talking The war on Christmas has begun for this year.

Poor xmas...

A holiday in dire jeopardy...

Old 11-19-2012, 10:16 AM

38,857 posts, read 25,652,085 times
Talking Tis the Season: Killing Christmas 2012

Poor xmas...

Poor xtians...

Season's Greetings!

Old 11-19-2012, 10:17 AM

2,238 posts, read 1,449,441 times
ah cool now you know the holidays are starting the phony "war on christmas" brigade are starting up !

Old 11-19-2012, 10:21 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,357,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Better cancel that day off for ALL federal employees then, we must maintain the "separation of church and state" afterall. They'll have to use a vacation day, if they have any left, to take Dec 25th off. How many federal employees do you think would go along with that?
Stop it from being a federal holiday for all US citizens then.
Apparently you don't understand that a federal holiday is not just for federal employees.
Really, I certainly hope you didn't mean what you wrote. Your statement is just, well, for lack of a better word, dumb.

I'd have no problem with removing its federal holiday status.

I travel to a non-religious destination every December.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:22 AM

744 posts, read 1,095,389 times
Just remember: the same people claiming there is a "War on Christmas", are the same exact people who still think Obama's birth certificate is a forgery and that Flip-Flop Romney was going to win in a landslide.

Keep that in mind when you listen to these loons.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:24 AM

14,585 posts, read 23,160,728 times
So let me get this straight...

- Atheist groups decide to express their freedom of speech, display secular signs.

- City decides to hold lottery, secular groups win most of the slots.

- Someone, presumably a religious type, vandalizes secular group's signs.

- City says no more signs.

- Religious group sues to get back their right to have signs.

Yes, clearly this is an EXCELLENT example of the atheists declaring war on Christmas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies