Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2012, 10:51 AM

3,740 posts, read 3,073,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
if I woke up tomorrow morning with an accounting degree, I doubt I'd be hired for anything beyond basic bookkeeping, I think that's realistic and not pessimistic.
It is the attitude, and I am NOT trying to attack you, per se, of a loser - and you should abandon it forthwith. So what if you get only a bookkeeping job - at first. You are at the bottom of the accounting ladder, with nowhere to but up. What's holding you back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2012, 10:52 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
What about state and local taxes? Would you reject a "nonhomestead tax" on other people's property even if it meant your taxes would have to go up $2,000?
You've already seen the chart. There is no denying the fact that when ALL (local, state, and federal) taxes are included, the bottom 60% get more BACK from the government than they pay in, and the higher income earners get only a very small fraction of what they pay in taxes in government benefits and services.

Old 11-22-2012, 10:55 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
I earn minimum wage and I pay federal income tax.
How much? What's your effective tax rate?

Old 11-22-2012, 10:59 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,930,757 times
If the rich and the businesses leave the US who is going to have a job to pay taxes ?

Old 11-22-2012, 11:03 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,122,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Too bad. They're members of society. They should be paying to support the society in which they live. If they don't earn enough, they need to reduce their living expenses via sharing housing, etc., work harder, and/or improve their skills to increase their pay. There's absolutely NO reason why hard-working responsible people who've made sacrifices and wise life and financial decisions should be financially on the hook for others' bad decisions. And spare me the "victim" routine. PLENTY of poor people worked their way out of poverty. There is no doubt it can be done. It just takes hard work, discipline, and commitment.
Well that's cute you believe it just takes hard work, discipline, and commitment. No adult who isn't severly mentally or physically disabled is financially off the hook. Your view on things is incredibly short sighted as you seem to the world as black and white.

Quote:
Well, hell. Why don't we ALL just stop working and let the government safety net take over and provide everything everyone needs. Problem solved.
Lol no. That's a stupid idea. Can you post without engaging in hyperbole? Is it because you have no substance to your ideas?

Old 11-22-2012, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
You've already seen the chart. There is no denying the fact that when ALL (local, state, and federal) taxes are included, the bottom 60% get more BACK from the government than they pay in, and the higher income earners get only a very small fraction of what they pay in taxes in government benefits and services.
Lolz. What government services would the wealthy need? You are unbelievable.

Old 11-22-2012, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
If the rich and the businesses leave the US who is going to have a job to pay taxes ?
You do realize taxes are lower compared to the past? Businesses and rich didnt leave in the past....

Old 11-22-2012, 11:11 AM

4,254 posts, read 5,608,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
My kids are intelligent. Sometimes you appear to be.
When they got to be around 18 I told them that I would take responsibilty for anything I did 'wrong' that might be detrimental to their future/self-esteem. etc
I would NOT, however, take responsibilty for them using any of those things as an excuse forever since they had the ability to change.
How long have you been an adult now?
What? There's no excuse for adults who aren't earning millions of dollars?

No one is denying that adults should take responsibility for their own lives, but you don't just shed your upbringing like an old coat.

Old 11-22-2012, 11:33 AM

5,466 posts, read 4,424,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
how is taxing the rich to give the poor going to help the economy. I say tax the rich, but also cut some welfare benefits, even if it is 10 dollars a month per family.
We need to cut spending. We can start with reducing peoples welfare checks of Obama's pawns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
We already have a progressive tax system where the rich pay.
They already pay a huge tax bill, and the low class Obama pawns get paid to exist. What is fair about that. I don't get any free stuff so where is my fair share of free stuff since we all want to be fair. And why don't the welfare leaches do their FAIR share of work too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
More specifically..."and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned"Which is exactly what government is doing.
Yes Obama claims he is Christian but it's only the part where we take from producers and give to non-producers. As for women, why is it that women have so many babies and the deadbeat dads take off yet everyone else has to take responsibility. Is that fair. This is not practicing Christian values.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
The truth when it comes to redistribution, is that we want to hold people to equal outcomes regardless of their inherent abilities.
By going along with Obama you have become a pawn where he is allowed to call you stupid. And your ok with being called stupid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
all you do is make a slave out of the first and a beggar of the second.
Slave out of workers and dependent voter base out of the others.

Old 11-22-2012, 11:39 AM

4,254 posts, read 5,608,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Given that you so frequently present yourself and your views from a religious perspective, tell us what God thinks about stealing? Last time I checked, "thou shalt not steal" was one of the 10 Commandments, so it seems to me that God would not be in favor of the Government stealing one person's property to give to someone else. And no matter what deceptive language one might choose to use in describing such theft ... be it "redistribution of wealth", or some other trendy phrase, theft is still theft .... because taking what doesn't belong to you is stealing .. regardless of your "reasons" for doing it. You can do all of the "high minded" rationalizing you want to about reasons and intentions and needs, but none of that changes a thing. It's still flat out wrong to steal another person's property, both in principle, and in practical reality, and if you've convinced yourself otherwise, you're suffering self delusions.
Here's where a little theology comes in handy. Stealing is wrong, obviously. But taxation (within reason) is not stealing. Governments have the right to tax and their subjects have the duty to pay taxes.

"Render under Ceasar the things that are Ceasar's"

"Let every soul be subject to the higher powers: for there is no power but from God: and that those that are, are ordained of God."

"Be ye subject therefore to every human creature for God's sake: whether it be to the king as excelling; Or to governors as sent by him for the punishment of evildoers ..."

This is Christianity 101.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
If you have children .. are you not responsible for feeding them? Clothing them? Taking them to the doctor when they are ill? Buying them toys? Then why are you not also responsible for paying for the costs of educating them? Why should I have to pay for YOUR child's education? I don't have children ... so why should I pay for yours? Should I also pick up the tab for all of the other things too? The food, clothing, doctor, the toys? Do I get visitation rights with that investment? Screw that ... pay for your own kids, buddy, because it is YOUR responsibility, and not everyone else's.
I've been home schooling for 15 years. My kids are headed for a college that takes no public money. I've long advocated the complete disengagement of the federal government from education, and in California, we'd be better off without the state involved too. I'm about as right-wing on education as a sane, rational person can get.

But there's no getting around the fact that government is ordained to facilitate the common good. That's biblical, and it's in accordance with reason and natural law. We are not islands unto ourselves, and we have some obligations to our neighbors. Those obligations can be met in a variety of legitimate ways, one of which is government.

It's in the interest of the whole society to have an educated citizenry. There's nothing inherently wrong with government at the appropriate level paying for education. When, where, how much, and in what way is a matter of political prudence. This is where the fanatical, overheated libertarian rhetoric just makes people like you (whom I respect, by the way, and find myself allied with on most things) sound like utter lunatics. I object to it strongly because it's false, in the first place, and because it needlessly alienates rational people who might otherwise be sympathetic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies