Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 05:08 PM

37,982 posts, read 22,157,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
The judge ruled based upon the laws as the currently exist, so I don't think they had much choice in the matter.
The US Constitution is the law, silly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2012, 05:11 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,607,531 times
Corporations aren't people, and I'm not sure that I get the whole "corporate personhood" rationale. But corporations are owned, operated and managed by people who have constitutional rights just like everyone else. Since when does running a business void their constitutional rights? Next thing you know running a household will void their constitutional rights.

Old 11-20-2012, 05:12 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
The judge ruled based upon the laws as the currently exist, so I don't think they had much choice in the matter.

Still, weren't Obamacare fans insistent that Obamacare did not fund abortions?

Fine and well that the SCOTUS has made abortion and associated procedures legal for all. Why does the taxpayer have to foot the bill for abortive processes of any stripe?? Apparently we were lied to once again.
Remember it was a verbal promise only.
There was that big to-do about attaching the Hyde Amendment.

You betcha we're going to end up funding abortions with taxpayer money.
There's a reason why the Hyde Amendment wasn't attached or modified for Obamacare.
Just like there was a reason why the details of Obamacare didn't come out until after it got passed and signed.

There's nothing in Obamacare that says the state/federal pools cannot provide abortion because those using the pools will be subsidized with Federal dollars.

Which means Federal dollars are going to pay for abortions.

Old 11-20-2012, 05:17 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,202,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
From the linked article:

----------------------------------
In a 28-page ruling, U.S. District Judge Joe Heaton denied a request by Hobby Lobby to prevent the government from enforcing portions of the health care law mandating insurance coverage for contraceptives the company's Christian owners consider objectionable.

In his ruling denying Hobby Lobby's request for an injunction, Heaton said that while churches and other religious organizations have been granted constitutional protection from the birth-control provisions, "Hobby Lobby and Mardel are not religious organizations."
----------------------------------

Let me get this straight.

The Catholic church forbids, not only abortions, but any form of birth control other than the rhythm method. No condoms, no pills, no nuttin.

This judge says that, while religious GROUPS are covered under the 1st amendment's ban on govt mandating or forbidding religious practices, religious INDIVIDUALS are not covered???

I'm trying and trying to find where it says in the 1A, that individuals are not covered. Haven't had any luck yet.

Somebody help me out here?
You're covered, but it's called SELF CONTROL. You not forced or obligated to USE the services, but YOUR beliefs do NOT form a basis to deny your peers such coverage.

Old 11-20-2012, 05:34 PM

27,145 posts, read 15,322,979 times
That is correct.

Old 11-20-2012, 05:38 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times
You have to be purposely obtuse to not see the difference between rights granted to an individual and an entity. Whether or not the entity is made up of individuals with rights or puppies does not matter. The rights are granted to individual persons, not to legal structures they form.

Actually CHEERING for entities to be individuals has to a result of some type of partisan brainwashing-- because the very idea should be downright horrifying to anyone with a brain.

Old 11-20-2012, 05:46 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,785,325 times
Quote:
He missed one.

The one that starts, "Congress shall make no law regarding an establishment of religion, nor prohibiting the free exercise thereof..."

Back to the drawing board, Your Honor. That one counts too. Keep it in mind when you try again, and try to get it right this time.

Old 11-20-2012, 05:47 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Good question and I ponder that frquently when it comes to this issue.

If individuals start a business they must pay for something that violates their belifefs.
Makes no sense forcing that on anyone.

Especially when it comes to the abortion pill.
Don't go to work for a Jehovah Witness than!

Old 11-20-2012, 05:50 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Good question and I ponder that frquently when it comes to this issue.

If individuals start a business they must pay for something that violates their belifefs.
Makes no sense forcing that on anyone.

Especially when it comes to the abortion pill.
Yeah..well welcome to "shared responsibility" whether you like it or not, whether it goes against your personal beliefs or not. Just pay "your fair share" but you get no say so in the matter.

This is the new healthcare. Wonder what's next ?

Old 11-20-2012, 05:52 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
According to the left, if your daughters set up a lemonade stand and sell lemonade, they lose all Constitutional rights and protections because they are no longer people.
I don't think the operators of a neighborhood lemonade stand would push their religion down the throats of their customers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies