Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2012, 08:56 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,206,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
It can be concluded that the 1950s was good for some people, and bad for others.
Yep, some of those that feel EVERYTHING was wonderful are still following the bouncing ball with Mitch Miller.

For the rest of us in the real world...

Korean War, the Cold War, home made Bomb Shelters, arms race, CIVIL DEFENSE air raid shelters, elementary kids being taught to duck and cover under their desks, rampant racism and bigotry, drug epidemic, sexism, McCarthyism...

Old 11-24-2012, 09:54 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,291,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
I was 9 years old in 1954. The shows of the 50s were idealistic fantasies...
Not at all surprising to any thinking person. I didn't come along til 1963, but I didn't take the TV shows of that time or the 50's to be particularly realistic. Especially since I was heavily into Looney Tunes, The Monkees, The Banana Splits, and Kimba the White Lion for the rest of the decade.

Old 11-25-2012, 12:05 AM

1,805 posts, read 1,468,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Not at all surprising to any thinking person. I didn't come along til 1963, but I didn't take the TV shows of that time or the 50's to be particularly realistic. Especially since I was heavily into Looney Tunes, The Monkees, The Banana Splits, and Kimba the White Lion for the rest of the decade.
You didn't think the Munsters and the AAdams Family were real? I'm shocked

Old 11-25-2012, 12:16 AM

4,145 posts, read 10,433,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post

Father Knows Best @ Thanksgiving - YouTube

Love of country and God and our religious freedom. Seems we are going in the other direction to our detriment. I miss "Father Knows Best" all the men on TV comedies now are goofballs. Sad.

WASHINGTON, DC (CNSNews.com) - On Thanksgiving week in 1954, NBC aired a holiday-themed "Father Knows Best" that ended with the family praying before their meal, including thanking God "for the privilege of living as free men in a country which respects our freedom and our personal rights to worship and think and speak as we choose."
The Nov. 21, 1954 show featured the Anderson family: Jim and Margaret and their three children, Betty, Bud and Kathy.

In the program, the family decided to forgo a Thanksgiving meal because of scheduling conflicts. But in the end, the parents and children decide that sitting down to a Thanksgiving meal together is the best way to celebrate.
Unfortunately this is going away quickly. There are a few here and there. If you watch "Duck Dynasty" they end every show with a prayer, which is nice to see. Though it's all definitely edited for TV, you can tell that family is one that probably wouldn't give a crap what anyone thought of them. And it's one of the most popular shows on by a LONGSHOT.

Truth is a large portion of the American people are still believers and though the unbelievers are louder, we're still a vast majority. We need believers in power to stand up and make it known. We need to be louder. Do we need to beat everyone into submission? Absolutely not. That's not what following Christ is about. It's about the way we live.

We need to live in a way that attracts more people to Christ. Live our beliefs. If all the Christians in this world would just be open about who they are, what they believed and most of all FOLLOWED Christ's teachings, you'd see an amazing turnaround.

Old 11-25-2012, 12:21 AM

4,145 posts, read 10,433,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
The 1950s was also a time when many actions were decided based on "What would the neighbors think?" Conformity was considered important. I suspect most today would consider that type of environment very stifling.
It's the exact same today. People are STILL overly concerned about what the neighbors would think. Now it's the opposite though. Being Christian isn't "cool", so you've got folks that are afraid to say who they are, which is sad. The culture we live in glorifies a life that is full of things that specifically go against the Bible's teachings. We're raising our kids with this garbage, so unless they're incredibly strong minded, they'll just go with the flow to look cool. This sex and drugs culture, mainly attributed to the growth of television, has taken us onto a track that will not end well.

Old 11-25-2012, 12:48 AM

73,067 posts, read 62,680,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Yep, some of those that feel EVERYTHING was wonderful are still following the bouncing ball with Mitch Miller.

Korean War, the Cold War, home made Bomb Shelters, arms race, CIVIL DEFENSE air raid shelters, elementary kids being taught to duck and cover under their desks, rampant racism and bigotry, drug epidemic, sexism, McCarthyism...
^This.

I think this is the point some of us are trying to convey to those who think EVERYTHING was wonderful in the 50s. Some of the things you mentioned, we have it now. War, the threat of terrorism(of course in the 50s it wasn't called that), and a very divided society.

It wasn't good for everyone. It was good for those who perceived themselves to be on top.

Old 11-25-2012, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
It's the exact same today. People are STILL overly concerned about what the neighbors would think. Now it's the opposite though. Being Christian isn't "cool", so you've got folks that are afraid to say who they are, which is sad. The culture we live in glorifies a life that is full of things that specifically go against the Bible's teachings. We're raising our kids with this garbage, so unless they're incredibly strong minded, they'll just go with the flow to look cool. This sex and drugs culture, mainly attributed to the growth of television, has taken us onto a track that will not end well.
I do believe that Christians need to be more open with who they are. It is also important to point out that there was alot of hypocrisy going on back then, and it goes on today. It's just more in the open today. You have people who did things like cheat on their wives, lynch people, and do other horrible things that Christ isn't about. It happened. It was either "justified" by some phony excuse, or kept secret.

I look at it like this. If Christ's teachings were followed fully, the bigotry that had existed in the 50s wouldn't have existed. Spousal abuse and alcoholism wouldn't have happened.

I agree that following Christ's teachings are a good idea, and that our children should be raised with them. My point is that alot of bad things were going on, that still go on today. Promiscuity was as rampant in the 50s as it is now. Difference between back then and now is that now, it's glorified. Evidence of rampant promiscuity was that in the 50s, that is when the highest rates of teen pregnancy occurred. In the 1950s, pregnant teenagers were isolated because it was considered a shameful thing to have a pregnant teenage daughter, particularly out of wedlock. Today, we have a show dedicated to teenage mothers. Back in the 50s and 60s, there were Westerns. Today, we have music glorifying violence.

The sex and drugs culture has always been there. Before, it was in the shadows. Now, it's in the open.

Old 11-25-2012, 01:38 AM

24,512 posts, read 33,334,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Who was saying that *everything* was wonderful then?

Quote:

Now list the negatives for the post-1950s decade.
And what "drug epidemic" in the '50s?

Old 11-25-2012, 01:54 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,527,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
It can be concluded that the 1950s was good for some people, and bad for others.
Just like any era. Duh

Old 11-25-2012, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Just like any era. Duh
All I know is given what I have now, the 1950s would not have been good for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies