Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2012, 07:38 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,200,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Do you know the difference between an accident and a planned shooting (like at Columbine in Colorado)? Some of the examples you posted were clearly accidental shootings.

And (again) do you really think it's not more common now? Also, notice there was only one listed for 1955 and one for 1959. As I said, it was uncommon back then.
Your reply doesn't address the fact that guns in schools were common in the 1950's, that was the discussion. Youu're trying to rename the question now that you see, gun "play" in schools has ALWAYS been a problem.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
did you fall for the kill bush bumper stickers and t-shirts?
I'm sorry, but you're making an assumption about that bumper sticker. The "meaning" is mixed at best. "support Bush"???? Could just as soon be created by someone pining for the "good old dayz" when lynchings were common.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:15 AM

24 posts, read 30,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mictlantecuhtli View Post
How about 1955? That was a great year, wasn't it?

In the South, 8 African-Americans -- oh, I'm sorry... "coloreds" -- were lynched.

The poverty rate was over 22%.

And spousal rape was still legal. Oh, excuse me -- when a man held his wife down and forcibly penetrated her, legally it wasn't 'rape'. You see, he was just taking what was his marital right. And if she didn't like it? Well, too bad!

Oh, but it was the 1950s! I forgot! Even though spousal rape was legal, it didn't happen. Because like drug abuse and pre-marital sex, rape just hadn't been invented yet in the 1950s! And how do I know this? Well, duh... it's not in any Father Knows Best episodes, silly! And they're just like the 1950s, dontcha know...

...and in 2000, two black (excuse me, African-American) brothers invaded a residence in Wichita, Kansas. They forced the five white occupants of the home to strip, and perform sex acts upon each other. They sexually assaulted the two female victims, and forced the victims to withdraw funds from an ATM.

They then took their victims to a snowy soccer field, where they were forced to kneel down, and each of them was shot in the head. The bodies of the victims were then run over.

Somehow, one of the female victims survived, and ran a mile over snow-covered ground to find help.

Here's the story:

The Wichita Horror, the brutal murders by Jonathan and Reginald Carr -- The Crime Library — Shattering Crimes — Crime Library on truTV.com

Old 11-24-2012, 08:23 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,008,753 times
Aside from the obvious horrors of those times, I think what the OP was referring to is the Norman Rockwell image reflected on TV and the pleasentries associated with the era as being far more demonstrative of real life of the 1950s than people are willing to give it credit for.

Sure you had some of the very same problems back then that you have today, and households from my understanding were far from perfect...think of that movie "This Boy's Life" with Robert Dinero and Leo DiCaprio...but I don't think anyone is going to deny that the era of the 60s "do it if it feels good" sex, drugs and rock n roll era didn't change America is kidding themselves.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam-12 View Post
...and in 2000, two black (excuse me, African-American) brothers invaded a residence in Wichita, Kansas. They forced the five white occupants of the home to strip, and perform sex acts upon each other. They sexually assaulted the two female victims, and forced the victims to withdraw funds from an ATM.

They then took their victims to a snowy soccer field, where they were forced to kneel down, and each of them was shot in the head. The bodies of the victims were then run over.

Somehow, one of the female victims survived, and ran a mile over snow-covered ground to find help.

Here's the story:

The Wichita Horror, the brutal murders by Jonathan and Reginald Carr -- The Crime Library — Shattering Crimes — Crime Library on truTV.com
So, what's your point? Crime existed back in the 1950's and it exists today. Whites were lynching blacks into the 1950's and the "state" was looking the other way. Ever see Mississippi Burning? Ever hear of Emmett Till...

Quote:
While visiting family in Money, Mississippi (in 1955), 14-year-old Emmett Till, an African American from Chicago, is brutally murdered for flirting with a white woman four days earlier. His assailants--the white woman's husband and her brother--made Emmett carry a 75-pound cotton-gin fan to the bank of the Tallahatchie River and ordered him to take off his clothes. The two men then beat him nearly to death, gouged out his eye, shot him in the head, and then threw his body, tied to the cotton-gin fan with barbed wire, into the river.

Less than two weeks after Emmett's body was buried, Milam and Bryant went on trial in a segregated courthouse in Sumner, Mississippi. There were few witnesses besides Mose Wright, who positively identified the defendants as Emmett's killers. On September 23, the all-white jury deliberated for less than an hour before issuing a verdict of "not guilty,"
The death of Emmett Till — History.com This Day in History — 8/28/1955

Maybe you can show me where blacks were conducting lynchings of whites with public officials at times actually aiding and taking part in those lynchings.

Last edited by buzzards27; 11-24-2012 at 08:47 AM..

Old 11-24-2012, 08:39 AM

5,993 posts, read 3,732,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post

"for the privilege of living as free men in a country which respects our freedom and our personal rights to worship and think and speak as we choose."
Funny...it's the conservatives who seem to have the most problems with people who don't adhere to their christian ideals. It's the conservatives who wish to deny basic rights to people who don't fit their idea of an ideal citizen. It seems that the above statement is true as long as you're a heterosexual christian male. Anybody else is not fit for the freedoms this country provides. THAT is why the GOP is quickly becoming the party of irrelevance and that day can't come soon enough.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:46 AM

73,003 posts, read 62,578,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
yes, you do appear to be completely devoid of humor.

that's too bad. but i don't suppose humor is the sort of thing that one can try to appreciate just because it's worthwhile..
Not completely devoid. I don't laugh as easily as others do.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
To be quite honest, I hear more black people today who are harp on the past who never lived it, than I do from those who did.
Black people today only talk about the past when they feel attacked, such as verbally. Otherwise you wouldn't hear it. I also think among the younger generation, there is a sense of not being afraid to voice one's anger at what happened.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Well from the stats I read now black men are not in the home anymore like in the 50s. WTH happened? The "War on Poverty" was lost with more poor now, especially in the black community.

What are the stats on births now----40% to single women? The studies show single women with children are more likely to be poor and their children don't do very well with a lot of people in prison raised by a single parent.

I am just going by stats and they don't look good, I don't care how much one hated the 50s or anything from the 70s and the past, we don't seem to be doing that well now with all this freedom and so called advances society is suppose to have had.
Births to single mothers have risen in this nation in general, across the board. This has more to do with certain changes in society. Granted, some of them are not good. However, this is how I see it. Women today are less likely to stay in a bad marriage if they think it isn't going to work out.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I completely understand. I am fond of the Progressive Era because it inspires me to do better for society. When I think of the strides made during that time because of the power of the people, it makes me a little less cynical. But like I said, I totally understand why a black man would not look back over American history with fondness or admiration.
The Progressive Era did have its good points. This is when unions started. I can understand what you're talking about. I think for me, there are just certain things I have to think about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies